View Full Version : Your views on the state fair

Patrick
09-21-2005, 11:23 AM
I took a stroll down to the State Fair last week on opening day...right before my week fo tests (this week). I must say, I think things are finalyl starting to improve at the state fair. Skip Wagner did anough damamge over his two years here, turning the grand fair into a small county type fair. Seems like the new fair directoris really cleaning things up and bringing excitement back to the fair. We actualyl have a for real midway back and lots of rides. The exhibit buildings looks greater than ever. I give a lot of praise to the new fair director.

Now all we need to do is replace some of the old decaying light fixtures and improve the landscaping.

Also, I honestly think we need to consider paving all of the parking at the fair grounds and going to a parking fee structure based on location. I'd be willing to pay $2 for parking way out. And $5 is probably fair for the up-close parking.

What do you think?

BDP
09-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I have not been to the fair in a couple of years, but it appears to be still very bush league. Which really wouldn't be a big deal (it is a state fair after all), except for the fact that it's such a large chunk of land in such a highly visible area of town. I hope the improvements you noticed continue and that one day it's not such an eye sore. It does look like it's abandoned most of the time.

I think paved parking would be an improvement, or maybe stack the parking and use all of that land for something more productive the rest of the year.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 12:41 PM
I think what would really help is if the landscaping on the I-44 side was improved. Currently, the only think there is an ugly chain fence with weeds growing up through it. Why not build a nice wall around the fairgrounds? Something similar to what Bishop McGuiness High School did on their campus.