View Full Version : Crossings Church Edmond

Pete
12-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Crossings just filed for $5.4MM building permit for 1500 W. Covell, which is on the south side of Covell just to the west of Uptown Grocery.

From their website:
New 32,346 square foot satellite location, which includes:
Stage and auditorium, with 800 seating capacity
Nursery / Crossings KIDS area
Office space
326 parking spaces

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/crossingsedmond1.jpg

Plutonic Panda
12-27-2015, 01:08 PM
I saw this earlier this year. Absolutely sucks. I am a hypocrite for saying that because I usually will tell to just ignore things that bother them but it really is hard to ignore these churches when there is one every corner.

Uptowner
12-27-2015, 01:48 PM
It's big business. Plenty of people give more to the tithe than the IRS. Best to stay edgy and relevant to grow your numbers.

Pete
12-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Remember, Crossings now has a huge private school.

I'm sure they way to set up shop in Edmond to help recruit families and students.

Bunty
12-27-2015, 06:42 PM

I'm sure they way to set up shop in Edmond to help recruit families and students.
So the new church would look more like a school.

jbkrems
12-27-2015, 07:25 PM
This will definitely help alleviate over-crowding at their main location at 150th and Portland, and also it will help them reach families in Edmond and Deer Creek areas, etc. Victory does the same thing nearby!

Celebrator
12-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Not very attractive architecturally.

Eddie1
12-27-2015, 10:16 PM
I think it looks absolutely terrible, but It's not my money.

bchris02
12-28-2015, 10:40 AM
More and more evangelical churches across the country are moving to this multi-campus format after Lifechurch has been so successful at it.

Celebrator
12-28-2015, 11:06 AM
I think it looks absolutely terrible, but It's not my money.

But it's my town! Maybe it's your town, too. And we shouldn't have to look at ugly buildings for generations!

chuck5815
12-28-2015, 08:35 PM
there are a lot of Priuses in that parking lot.

okatty
12-28-2015, 08:56 PM
^Brought to you by Toyota - Let's Go Places!:tongue:

zachj7
12-29-2015, 12:09 AM
I agree, looks very ugly. Looks like a 1960s building. Perhaps it will look better in person when built?

BobbyV
12-29-2015, 12:41 PM
This will definitely help alleviate over-crowding at their main location at 150th and Portland, and also it will help them reach families in Edmond and Deer Creek areas, etc. Victory does the same thing nearby!

Definitely. We've been attending since 2007 and it's grown quite a bit in that time. This new location will be a welcomed change.

BobbyV
12-29-2015, 12:43 PM

The Church and the school are ran separately. It's grown pretty fast the last few years. I don't think they really need to recruit.

bchris02
12-29-2015, 12:54 PM
I agree, looks very ugly. Looks like a 1960s building. Perhaps it will look better in person when built?

Looks like a typical evangelical megachurch to me. Its better looking than a typical Lifechurch. I prefer the historic, architecturally significant cathedrals of bygone days. First Presbyterian in Uptown is beautiful. Today, it doesn't seem like those kind of places are getting built anymore, especially in the evangelical sect. It's understandable though, as many evangelical churches have moved to contemporary worship services with a high-energy band and light shows, and fortresses like this better serve their needs than the older style cathedrals.

Bill Robertson
12-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Looks like a typical evangelical megachurch to me. Its better looking than a typical Lifechurch. I prefer the historic, architecturally significant cathedrals of bygone days. First Presbyterian in Uptown is beautiful. Today, it doesn't seem like those kind of places are getting built anymore, especially in the evangelical sect. It's understandable though, as many evangelical churches have moved to contemporary worship services with a high-energy band and light shows, and fortresses like this better serve their needs than the older style cathedrals.Exactly. Crossings, even the regular services, are too modern to go with a building like First Presbyterian. The new building "fits". And it's patterned something like the latest addition to the current building.

sooner88
12-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I think that they look pretty great in the old cathedral churches also. City Presbyterian on 13th has concerts from time to time and it is a really cool setup.

Dubya61
12-29-2015, 02:40 PM
It's big business. Plenty of people give more to the tithe than the IRS. Best to stay edgy and relevant to grow your numbers.

I suppose you're safe saying that when you specify the IRS, but the total tax bill varies by income grouping to be anywhere from 15 to 30 percent of income -- more than the 10 percent tithe would be.

Uptowner
12-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Expenses my good fellow! A good accountant will show you how to move all that income into non-taxable flows and only get taxed on your cash. Like donating to the church!!

PlaschkeSucks
04-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Is Crossings Edmond better than the one by Quail Springs Mall? I hard at the Quail Springs mall campus you have to be attractive and have money to attend?

chuck5815
04-28-2018, 06:06 AM
Is Crossings Edmond better than the one by Quail Springs Mall? I hard at the Quail Springs mall campus you have to be attractive and have money to attend?

There’s nothing wrong with maintaining high standards, my friend!

Bill Robertson
04-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Is Crossings Edmond better than the one by Quail Springs Mall? I hard at the Quail Springs mall campus you have to be attractive and have money to attend?We’ve been going to Crossings since before they moved to the current location. We’re don’t have money or looks. As far as giving to the church it gets brought up one service per year when the past years activities and upcoming years plans are discussed. Crossings is probably the most laid-back church you’ll find.

mugofbeer
04-28-2018, 09:09 PM

Unless you are trying to be funny, what kind of a statement is this? Are you trying to make a joke or just trying to be an anti-Christian bigot

Plutonic Panda
04-28-2018, 10:26 PM
nm

jbkrems
04-29-2018, 05:01 AM
I have an acquaintance who attends the Edmond location. Actually, he and his wife, children, and grandchildren... they all attend. He is a barber in Edmond, and I would not say he is well to do or has the most attractive appearance. That being said, from what I've heard (and I do not personally attend Crossings), they accept people of all walks of life, and you do NOT need to have money or looks (or what have you) to attend there, at either of their locations.

jerrywall
05-01-2018, 03:02 PM
I don't attend anywhere regularly, but I've been to Crossings on Portland for events (such as an honor society ceremony for my son). I always felt like I was walking around an airport terminal or something. Not a complaint. I was just shocked at the size and layout of the campus. Is the Edmond location similar?

d-usa
05-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Reading through some of the old posts in different threads that are showing up from the political section, there seems to be a bit of a "**** on Christians and/or religion" thing going on at times.

Bill Robertson
05-02-2018, 06:06 AM
I don't attend anywhere regularly, but I've been to Crossings on Portland for events (such as an honor society ceremony for my son). I always felt like I was walking around an airport terminal or something. Not a complaint. I was just shocked at the size and layout of the campus. Is the Edmond location similar?Edmond is similar in design but is just a sanctuary that seats about 2000, classrooms and a few administration offices. They’re already outgrowing the 2000 seats. It should have been built bigger but Crossings is big on never being in debt, not always asking for money, and spending conscientiously.

Rover
05-02-2018, 10:45 AM
I don't attend anywhere regularly, but I've been to Crossings on Portland for events (such as an honor society ceremony for my son). I always felt like I was walking around an airport terminal or something. Not a complaint. I was just shocked at the size and layout of the campus. Is the Edmond location similar?

I go to Crossings occasionally but mostly to the Catholic Church. Crossings at first seemed very large and impersonal .... until I got to know it better. I admire their commitment to outreach to the various communities of need with health clinics (on Penn), school outreach programs, and any number of programs for support to those less privileged, regardless of their faith affiliations. I have gotten to know Marty Grubbs pretty well and admire what he and the organization does, and have done from the beginning. They are committed to the community through faith, education, health and well being. There is no litmus test for income, occupation, race, age, gender identity, etc. You may or may not like their religious doctrine, but it is hard to not be a fan of what they do in our communities.

BobbyV
07-09-2018, 11:10 AM
The Edmond Campus is planning to add another 8500 square feet starting in October.