View Full Version : Tim's Drive-in

Pete
12-16-2015, 04:22 PM
This place deserves it's own thread, for longevity alone.

Ate there a few days ago and I just love this old worn-out little place. I had a foot-long coney and it was way, way better than Sonic. Their Indian Tacos are very good as well, and their soft serve ice cream is really old school.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/tims.jpg

They have a drive-thru window but I like to go inside and order at the counter, then eat at one of the tiny little tables with cracked vinyl benches. Just so much nostalgia here.

And the people working there are super nice.

It's on N. MacArthur, just south of 50th.

https://www.facebook.com/TimsDriveInn

In fact, that little area has several very good restaurants: Abel's (same intersection), one of the few remaining Del Rancho's, Cajun King at NW 63rd & MacArthur and Casa Perico at NW 63rd & Meridian.

Mel
12-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Their Coney dogs are addicting. I am not supposed to eat food like that anymore but I still sneak by there every now and then.

SomeGuy
12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Love their sodas, they taste real and syrupy. Oh and their Cheese balls and mozzarella sticks are some of the best I've ever had, it's a shame they're not open on Sundays though.

Tundra
12-16-2015, 07:30 PM
Hot fudge chocolate shake is that bomb, They grill the hamburger bun in butter before serving, haven't had a bad meal ever from Tim's!

Pete
12-16-2015, 07:30 PM
I don't know what Warr Acres is doing, but MacArthur at 50th -- right by Tim's -- is undergoing a massive rebuilding project. Only one lane in all four directions. Quite a mess.

Bit of a hassle to get in and out of there; same with the neighboring Del Rancho.

Tundra
12-16-2015, 07:33 PM
I don't know what Warr Acres is doing, but MacArthur at 50th -- right by Tim's -- is undergoing a massive rebuilding project. Only one lane in all four directions. Quite a mess.

Bit of a hassle to get in and out of there; same with the neighboring Del Rancho.

Its been like that for quite sometime now, best to avoid during high traffic times.

Urbanized
12-16-2015, 08:37 PM
I love the place. It reminds me of the walk-up, screen window Dairy Queens and Tastee Freezes of my childhood.

ljbab728
12-16-2015, 09:10 PM

I was there a couple of weeks ago and experienced that construction hassle. It was surprisingly busy anyway.

bradh
12-16-2015, 09:17 PM
it's an ODOT job actually, not sure what the finished product is supposed to look like thought

need to try this place

ctchandler
12-16-2015, 09:26 PM
There daily special is always good, even their burger and fries. When I was working, I stopped there at least once a week.
C. T.

soonerguru
12-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm a fan of the burger I had there. Curious about the Indian tacos, but that doesn't seem like something you would attempt to eat in your car.

rezman
12-17-2015, 05:58 AM
I grew up in Warr Acres, and back in the 60's and 70's my brothers and I used to walk or ride our bikes up to Tim's to get a shake or ice cream. Part of some good memories from back then.

Pete
12-17-2015, 05:58 AM
I'm a fan of the burger I had there. Curious about the Indian tacos, but that doesn't seem like something you would attempt to eat in your car.

There are a few seats inside and a couple of picnic benches out front.

Bellaboo
12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Tim's actually started in Yukon in the 1960's at Main and Ranchwood Drive. I used to go there as a kid. It moved to it's current location when the property was sold and a Kerr McGee gas station was built.

harp23
12-17-2015, 07:07 AM
The girl who cuts my hair is located nearby this area and if I remember correctly she said War Acres qualified for some federal money and they chose to widen Macarthur and add sidewalks I think. They had to use the money or lose it.

ctchandler
12-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Soonerguru,
I ate the Indian taco in my car out by lake Hefner and it really wasn't a problem. It's like any plate of food and plastic utensils. I used to take real utensils (from home) with me and it made it a lot easier.
C. T.

MagzOK
12-17-2015, 11:45 AM
The corndogs are really good. Tim's is a good joint.

Bullbear
12-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Love this place.. all things fried!..lol.. and the indian Tacos are good!. I believe they are special on tues or wed.

Mel
12-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Soonerguru,
I ate the Indian taco in my car out by lake Hefner and it really wasn't a problem. It's like any plate of food and plastic utensils. I used to take real utensils (from home) with me and it made it a lot easier.
C. T.

I am so glad you said that CT. I keep 2 sets of just in case steel utensils in my car in a gallon sized baggie. Changed out if used of course. I don't fell so alone now. :wink:

Pete
12-17-2015, 12:16 PM
^

That is such a great idea. I'm doing that!

Urbanized
12-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Ate there for lunch today. Thanks for the reminder!

Pete
12-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Ate there for lunch today. Thanks for the reminder!

What did you have and how was it??

Urbanized
12-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Burger hold the onions add cheese and bacon. Delicious. Tots with cheese added...overcooked and greasy. One of the guys with me had fries with cheese on them, and that looked like a MUCH better choice. I'll be going that direction in the future. Traffic/construction wasn't too terrible.

ctchandler
12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I am so glad you said that CT. I keep 2 sets of just in case steel utensils in my car in a gallon sized baggie. Changed out if used of course. I don't fell so alone now. :wink:

Mel,
I also kept salt and pepper. But back then, they didn't have the throwaway pepper grinders, so I went with the Cain's ground pepper. Don't tell anybody though, I wouldn't want anybody to know that I used anything but fresh ground pepper!
C. T.

kevinpate
12-17-2015, 12:53 PM

You mean everyone doesn't do this? I hate sporks, really hate them, so, um, well, yeah.

In my youthful days, Pops had a real affinity for ice cream. When he would depart the courthouse to head off to one of the other two in his district, or another county if he was sitting by designation, he'd hit a local convenience store and get a half gallon of ice cream to enjoy on the way. We had the house scoops, and he had the car scoops. Nobody wiped his car scoops.

Pete
12-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Burger hold the onions add cheese and bacon. Delicious. Tots with cheese added...overcooked and greasy. One of the guys with me had fries with cheese on them, and that looked like a MUCH better choice. I'll be going that direction in the future. Traffic/construction wasn't too terrible.

If you like coneys, try theirs. I loved the one I had a couple of days ago.

I'm already craving another.