View Full Version : Patti LaBelle's Sweet Potato Pies @ Walmart & Neighborhood Markets.

Laramie
12-15-2015, 09:02 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/WAwAAOSw4UtWTOUn/$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Couldn't help but make a Patti LaBelle sweet potato pie purchase at the Walmart Neighborhood Market @ 23rd & Pennsylvania.

The 9" round pie sells for a modest $3.48. My brother picked up one early this morning and called to tell me that he had to break with his morning breakfast protocol. Sweet Potato pie for breakfast.

Those of you who are not familiar with sweet potato pies; they are a soul food tradition during Thanksgiving & most holidays like Juneteenth, 4th of July, Labor, Memorial Day, Christmas & New Year's.

Much like the pumpkin pie (similar recipes), the sweet potato pie doesn't leave that tang after bite taste. RIP mother, Patti stole your sweet potato pie recipe.

Before I knew it, I had to maintain myself. Consumed half a pie after breakfast; damn, that's sinful. I can't wait to get to the confessional; I've got to tell a priest. :D

Bullbear
12-15-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't shop at walmart normally.. but I went just for a pie at thanksgiving.. and came up emty handed. I need to pop in and get me a few.

rezman
12-15-2015, 11:08 AM
My sister makes a sweet potato pie that is just awesome.

Tonight I'll be putting together a sweet potato casserole with crunchy cinnamon brown sugar pecan crumble topping for our company party tomorrow. It's kind of like a pie but it doesn't have a crust and bakes in a 13x9x2 baking dish. we'll see how it turns out.

Mel
12-15-2015, 12:26 PM
I like sweet Potato Pie much more than pumpkin. Just added that item to my shopping list.

oklip955
12-15-2015, 02:08 PM
There goes my diet.

adaniel
12-15-2015, 02:40 PM
These pies have been a "thing" for some time now thanks to this hilarious viral video (mildly NSFW for language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRwFn7WPk8

Laramie, I am actually surprised you were able to get one; they were pretty much wiped out before Thanksgiving.

As someone who grew up in a southern family we've never NOT had sweet potato pie. I am a bit partial to my great aunt's recipe that has been bouncing around our family for some 80 years now. The main thing with hers is a liberal helping of nutmeg, orange juice, and extra buttery crust. Mmmm....so good. Eating anything other than her pie is treason in our home, but since Christmas will be just my immediate family, my mom is going to cheat and buy this instead. I'm looking forward to it!

FYI Patti LaBelle is an AMAZING cook. I'd strongly suggest picking up her cookbook if you like southern/soul cuisine. I am actually going to make her Mac & Cheese casserole for a work event next week.

Mel
12-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Got the last one at Wal Mart after all the scfy programs were over. Dee-lish! I am going to get that cookbook.

rezman
12-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I
My sister makes a sweet potato pie that is just awesome.

Tonight I'll be putting together a sweet potato casserole with crunchy cinnamon brown sugar pecan crumble topping for our company party tomorrow. It's kind of like a pie but it doesn't have a crust and bakes in a 13x9x2 baking dish. we'll see how it turns out.

Well, this dish turned out to be pretty darn good.

I got it on line from here.

Simple Sweet Potato Casserole with a Crunchy Pecan Crumble. - Sallys Baking Addiction (http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/11/09/simple-sweet-potato-casserole-with-a-crunchy-pecan-crumble/)

Since we had about 50 people, I used 4 lbs of potatos instead of 2 and doubled the ingredients. ... Good Stuff!.