View Full Version : LED Flashlights

trousers
12-15-2015, 07:37 AM
This may sound like an odd question but here goes...
My dad is a tool guy...has tons of everything including flashlights. It's time to start trading out his old ones for some new LED lights. ANy recommendations? I'm looking to spend up to around $75ish,
thanks

rezman
12-15-2015, 09:24 AM
I have a small Streamlight LED that I use at work for inspections, It has had a ton of abuse and keeps on working. Streamlight has a nice line of products.

trousers
12-15-2015, 11:48 AM
thanks...I'll check that brand out for sure.

Mel
12-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Maybe you could get him several types of led flashlights with a $75 top out. The headband LED lights are real handy to keep both hands free. Then a smaller one like rezman suggested and then top it off with a big ol' Maglite.

Tundra
12-15-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a couple of Surefire and love them, best ones i've ever owned.

mkjeeves
12-16-2015, 08:08 AM
I use headlamps more than flashlights. I like my Petzls the best.

rezman
12-16-2015, 09:25 AM
I use headlamps more than flashlights. I like my Petzls the best.

I've seen the Petzl's before. They pretty cool.

I also have a Quarrow that I use when needed. It works well and has a nice beam. It has a few features that I could do without like the blue and green hunting LEDs that you have to cycle through, plus the flashing beam, every time to shut it off when your done. But it has an adjustable housing to aim the beam vertically, so it's a very usable tool.

mkjeeves
12-16-2015, 11:08 AM
For cheap work lights, I use the Energizer with a red led. The switch is exposed and turns on too easy for sticking it in a pocket or pack but they work pretty well and Target used to have them for about $15.
Amazon.com : Energizer 3 LED Headlight, Green/Black, 3AAA : Camping Headlamps : Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Headlight-Green-Black-3AAA/dp/B002CYRZK0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450289011&sr=8-4&keywords=led+headlight+energizer)

I have a couple of Petzl Tikka 2 I bought on steep and cheap. They have a red light and multiple level of brightness. A rapid push of the button cycles through that but a slower push turns on/off at whatever setting you were last in. I also have a Black Diamond Storm, which is brighter, waterproof, works kind of similar but cost more, is heavier and not as user friendly. I bought it for playing in the wet, boating and such. I don't actually use it as much. I've had others in different brands but I like the Petzls the best. The two I have aren't waterproof though.

I've read on another forum this off-brand is a lot of bang for the buck. Bright and waterproof. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PSYN5MI?colid=1T7YLICNNFVLU&coliid=I1BS8MB0DSC52M&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Urban Pioneer
12-16-2015, 11:23 AM
So our company trashes flashlights. They get dropped, thrown in the tool bag, etc.

We started buying the LUX Pro LED. lowe's sells them for a Christmas special for $20.

Not one has gone out and the Durcell batteries haven't been replaced since last year despite daily use. Can't recommend it enough. Plus they're cool looking and comfortable to grip.

IanMcDermid
12-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Four sevens is a smaller company and makes surefire quality at streamlight prices. They also make a titanium pen light(right around $70) that puts out over 100 lumens and when combined with lithium batteries like energizer ultimate; it's almost weightless. I've carried one in my left pant pocket for over 4 years now and it's never failed to perform. The original finish has worn down to a really cool stonewashed look. They make awesome gifts too. Check out their website they have a lot of product.

ctchandler
12-16-2015, 03:26 PM
Four sevens is a smaller company and makes surefire quality at streamlight prices. They also make a titanium pen light(right around $70) that puts out over 100 lumens and when combined with lithium batteries like energizer ultimate; it's almost weightless. I've carried one in my left pant pocket for over 4 years now and it's never failed to perform. The original finish has worn down to a really cool stonewashed look. They make awesome gifts too. Check out their website they have a lot of product.

Ian,
I have one of their products and it is really good. They are a little pricey, but it's good quality.
C. T.