View Full Version : Football Bowl System Changes

ljbab728
12-09-2015, 10:31 PM
I agree that the Bowl situation has gotten out of hand and changes are needed. It's a difficult thing, but some kind of changes are needed or we just need to say that every team can go to a bowl somewhere.

Changes coming after bowl system reaches record 40 games | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/changes-coming-after-bowl-system-reaches-record-40-games/article/feed/933145/?page=2)

The bowl system has finally snapped after years of being stretched thin.

Three teams with losing records will be among the 80 playing in a record 40 bowl games over the next month and two teams from the same conference will play each other in a bowl.

This offseason, a task force will study the bowl system, intent on making changes to prevent that from happening again. The NCAA has largely removed itself from the bowl business, allowing conferences, communities and television networks to create postseason games. The NCAA is not looking to take control of the bowls, but everyone agrees adjustments are needed.

It's early to speculate on what changes are coming, but some are expected.

"In our society, sometimes we don't put up a traffic light until there have been a couple of accidents at an intersection," FBA executive director Wright Waters said during a teleconference with reporters this week. "This may be the opportunity to force that conversation."

mugofbeer
12-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Some of the bowls are ridiculous especially where the city already holds a major bowl game. One isnt enough. Maximum 1 game per city....Dallas, Arlington and Ft. Worth don't count as 3

soonergeezer
12-10-2015, 12:48 AM
I had almost the exact same conversatiom on one of my OU groups yesterday. 41 games is way too many. I can live with a team having at least a .500 record. But honestly, is even that deserving of a bowl?

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2015, 05:39 AM
I would think a coach would punish his players for a losing record, but more and more people are giving in to Panzyism every day...smh.

I sure hope the bowl system can be fixed. It's pathetic IMO.

Snowman
12-10-2015, 05:45 AM
If they want to have that many bowls, they may have to allow some of the better FCS teams to play the worst of the FBS teams

trousers
12-10-2015, 07:02 AM
I would think a coach would punish his players for a losing record, but more and more people are giving in to Panzyism every day...smh.

I sure hope the bowl system can be fixed. It's pathetic IMO.
panzyism? its about money.

Bellaboo
12-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Here is an example of where the bowl situation is at -

Cure Bowl, former Citrus Bowl in Orlando -

San Jose State is 5 - 7
Georgia State is 6 -6

If San Jose State wins, then both teams will have a losing record.

Laramie
12-10-2015, 08:44 AM
We could come up with an All College Toilet Bowl for the teams with losing records. Qualifications: Two teams who haven't won a game throughout the season.

Oklahoma City's Taft Stadium could host the bowl; sponsorship wouldn't be a problem. The various companies that manufacture toilet paper, bowl cleaners etc., would contribute...

Dubya61
12-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Why does it need to be fixed? If the bowl game doesn't impact you, don't watch it. When bowl games start losing money, they'll decline in number.

SoonerDave
12-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Why does it need to be fixed? If the bowl game doesn't impact you, don't watch it. When bowl games start losing money, they'll decline in number.

Because, as a matter of concept, bowls should reward good teams with an extra game. I fully realize the glut of bowls is due to a monetary objective in order to manufacture broadcast inventory for networks like ESPN, but the overabundance of garbage games has led to a situation where instead of a reward, its become a participation trophy. The games are sometimes execrable, and the fan support is barely there.

There has to be a marriage of purpose versus economics. The balance, in reality, is somewhere in the middle.

Jersey Boss
12-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Meh, pro teams have made the playoffs before with a losing record. While not common, it has happened.

SoonerDave
12-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Meh, pro teams have made the playoffs before with a losing record. While not common, it has happened.

And that shouldn't happen, either.

For the college bowl situation, however, it's going to become more commonplace with more of these idiotic South Poughkepsie Dog Shelter and Grille bowls continue to proliferate. It's one thing for the former to be the exception, but the latter is going to become the rule so long as the pool of stupid bowl games expands.

ljbab728
12-10-2015, 02:00 PM

There are only 3 bowls each year for teams involved in the playoffs. You won't find any teams with losing records there. It's not the same thing.

I still think the regulations either need to be tightened up or they should just do away with regulations and say that every team can go to a bowl if they want to.

Stew
12-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Eh, this seems like one of those free market things. If somebody can turn a profit having two awful teams suit it up in a bowl game then what's the harm? I'm more interested in expanding the playoffs to eight teams than I'm about the diluted quality of bowl teams.

ljbab728
12-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Eh, this seems like one of those free market things. If somebody can turn a profit having two awful teams suit it up in a bowl game then what's the harm? I'm more interested in expanding the playoffs to eight teams than I'm about the diluted quality of bowl teams.

In most cases, cities don't have or promote having a bowl game to make a profit. It's more about publicity for that city or region. I supposed that could, at some point, translate into some kind of income.

Snowman
12-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Because, as a matter of concept, bowls should reward good teams with an extra game. ...

I fall on the so what side of it being a non issue, it is one more game most people will ignore, power teams will not see it as much of a reward. At the point you have a losing record it is at least a 4th or 5th tier game (1st the playoffs, 2 classic bowl still like #2 in a power conference or #1 in conference outside of that, 3 still a decently named bowl where you have a decent record/nice location/good gift package).

Unless they are loosing a ton of people to graduation, these are often the teams that would benefit the most from the extra practice and game time that a bowl allows under the current rules. It seems a bit unfair that teams that likely do not have the same level of resources, facilities, tradition or recruiting power as those with the best records get handicapped even more.

soonergeezer
12-12-2015, 11:01 PM
As an OU fan, I would be embarrassed if OU accepted a bowl bid with a 5-7 record. Nothing to be proud of there. But, I guess if your standard of what is expected from your team is low enough, this wouldn't be a problem. The participation ribbon doesn't do much for me.