View Full Version : Heisman Trophy 2015 - Mayfield Snubbed

zookeeper
12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Wow. In shock actually. Only 3 invites to NYC. No Baker.

- Derrick Henry - RB Alabama
- Christian McCaffrey - RB Stanford
- Deshaun Watson - QB Clemson

Heisman Trophy 2015: Complete List of Finalists Announced | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2596647-heisman-trophy-2015-complete-list-of-finalists-announced)

There's a lot of people shaking their heads right now.
McCaffrey is being called one of the best all-around players to ever play college football. My vote goes to him.
He is, in a word, unworldly. A lot of analysts think McCaffrey has come on strong and could win in an upset over Henry. Henry is a one-trick pony - McCaffrey can do it all.

http://i.imgur.com/D24NDIO.jpg

OKCisOK4me
12-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Short thread...

zookeeper
12-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Christian McCaffrey Heisman video.

"At the very least, McCaffrey is college football's most versatile player. No one comes close to his all-purpose yards per game. In Saturday's game against the Trojans, McCaffrey broke the record for most all-purpose yards in a season, previously held by the great Barry Sanders. Furthermore, he did so in basically the same amount of touches as Sanders."

https://vimeo.com/145576265

Easy180
12-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Thinking most of the nation couldn't even tell you who Watson and McCaffrey are. Won't be much fanfare with this one.

zookeeper
12-07-2015, 08:22 PM
An excellent read (especially the twitter comments from all the sports reporters toward the end.)
College Sports: Zack Sanchez thinks Heisman snub 'woke up an even bigger monster' that is Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield | SportsDay (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/oklahomasooners/2015/12/07/zack-sanchez-thinks-heisman-snub-woke-even-bigger-monster-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield)| DMN (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/oklahomasooners/2015/12/07/zack-sanchez-thinks-heisman-snub-woke-even-bigger-monster-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield)

shawnw
12-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Are the current guys seniors (sorry, not following them closely), does the committee do things like nominate (and not nominate) people based on if they'll have future chances?

sooner88
12-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Are the current guys seniors (sorry, not following them closely), does the committee do things like nominate (and not nominate) people based on if they'll have future chances?

McCaffrey is a Sophomore. His performance was so dominant on Saturday, I think a game like that will be fresh in the voters mind going into this weekend. It does seem like there's a tendency to award the trophy to more senior players, so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Spartan
12-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Bizarre thread. Nobody's heard of Mayfield outside of the Big 12 territory.

Surprised to see no Zeke Elliott though. Popping off against your coach doesn't help. I think the national media just wants to give it to the Bama RB and be done with it this year. Nobody was really spectacular this year in all honesty.

BoulderSooner
12-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Bizarre thread. Nobody's heard of Mayfield outside of the Big 12 territory.

Surprised to see no Zeke Elliott though. Popping off against your coach doesn't help. I think the national media just wants to give it to the Bama RB and be done with it this year. Nobody was really spectacular this year in all honesty.

Are you trolling. Just a hater. Or really clueless?

Baker is 4th in heisman projection on both ESPN and cbs sports.

So I guess some people have heard of him. He is likely going to finish 4th in the heisman. Elliott. Might finish 7th.

TU 'cane
12-08-2015, 10:00 AM
I read somewhere that not playing last week may have been an additional reason why he was not invited.

soonermike81
12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
A lot of the votes were probably submitted weeks ago. I bet these three guys are the top three in votes so far. Anyone voting for Mayfield will more than likely have done so in the past month after we ran the table in November, or have yet to vote. Maybe they were just inviting based on the top three at the time?

soonermike81
12-08-2015, 10:21 AM

So I guess some people have heard of him. He is likely going to finish 4th in the heisman. Elliott. Might finish 7th.

Def a hater. Just another bitter pokes fan

Filthy
12-08-2015, 10:35 AM
A lot of the votes were probably submitted weeks ago. I bet these three guys are the top three in votes so far. Anyone voting for Mayfield will more than likely have done so in the past month after we ran the table in November, or have yet to vote. Maybe they were just inviting based on the top three at the time?

In my opinion, its actually the opposite. All 3 of these guys had a chance to show out on the last weekend of the season, in front of all the viewers/voters in their respective Conference Championship game. And all 3 guys, excelled! I believe that if OU/Mayfield would have been playing the last weekend of the season, and he had produced similar results...he would have been invited as well. Being knocked out of the TCU game, probably didn't help either.

No worries from me, as the overall goal of winning a Nat'l Title is still in tact. Individual awards are nice and all...as they usually reflect a successful season. If Mayfield really feels "snubbed," than this will only serve as another internal flame for Mayfield. But more importantly, by not receiving an invite, nor having a chance to win the trophy....it takes away all things "distraction" that come with it. Focus remains on winning the Nat'l Title.

I WANT McCaffrey to win it.
Henry WILL win it.
Baker can get his next year.

Spartan
12-08-2015, 02:35 PM
What does Mayfield's eligibility situation look like? I really haven't paid that much attention to him, sorry..

You're calling me a troll? Lmaooooooooooo. But anyway, since everyone knows Mr. Mayfield, they'll know exactly where to send that big ol' Projected Fourth Place Trophy.

Zeke was the pre-season favorite...

Allow me to repeat that nobody was really spectacular this year, so you look stupid getting worked up over it lol. Don't you have pedestrians to go run over or something?

Stew
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Def a hater. Just another bitter pokes fan

Indeed, going to the Sugar Bowl is certainly something to be bitter about.

Filthy
12-08-2015, 03:26 PM
You're calling me a troll? Lmaooooooooooo. I don't agree, nor disagree about said accusation, however...I would think it might have to do something with your presentation, and conviction of some opinions shared over a period of time, in this thread, and other threads like them, over an extended period of time. Some of them seem to be made on a basis of emotion, rather than factual statements.

Allow me to repeat that nobody was really spectacular this year, so you look stupid getting worked up over it lol.

As stated above...once again, I don't get involved in emotional conversation, and back and forth banter, however...I would hope to offer up a differing opinion than one that would say that "nobody was really spectacular this year."

Christian McCafferey- Broke Barry Sanders' NCAA record for all-purpose yardage in a single season. A record that has stood for well over 30 years. (A record held, not only for 30 years..but by Barry Sanders, to whom many argue is quite possibly the greatest College Player of All Time.)

Derrick Henry- Broke the SEC all time rushing record, that had been held for almost 36 years, by Herschel Walker. (To whom, most people hold in regards as one of Greatest College RB's of all time. Usually in the same breath, as the guy posted above.)

I'm not sure what one would need to do, to be "spectacular" in your mind...and I am not one to dictate what said definition should be. But one would be hard pressed to not think that both of those guys were spectacular this season............by any definition.

OKCisOK4me
12-08-2015, 07:25 PM

The point is that last night during News9's newscast Dean Blevins stated that Baker will not be invited to NYC. Doubt Spartan knew that but better luck next year...

bradh
12-08-2015, 07:41 PM
Want to blame someone? Blame your conference for being the only major conference without a title game.

Really a shame Navy didn't win out, Reynolds would have won in a landslide.

soonermike81
12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Indeed, going to the Sugar Bowl is certainly something to be bitter about.

Well coming from that poster, pretty sure it was bitterness.

MitchellCole
12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Jesus, here we go again. Mayfield wasn't invited to New York because there will be a clear vote drop off from #3 to #4. This is the exact same thing when Graham Harrell got "snubbed" in 2008.

Urbanized
12-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Depending on how he plays in the next two games, he's likely to be a favorite for the award next season. Don't sweat it.

Eric
12-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Depending on how he plays in the next two games, he's likely to be a favorite for the award next season. Don't sweat it.

Presumptuous much?

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Maybe the title can be changed to 2016?

zookeeper
12-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Jesus, here we go again. Mayfield wasn't invited to New York because there will be a clear vote drop off from #3 to #4. This is the exact same thing when Graham Harrell got "snubbed" in 2008.

Maybe the title can be changed to 2016?

@MitchellCole: This thread was made just minutes after the announcement of the finalists. So, it's not being brought up "again."

@OKCisOK4me: Heisman award ceremony is Saturday December 12th at 7pm CST on ESPN. 2015 is correct.

By the way, unofficial tallies of Heisman voters (ballots were due in last weekend) carried out by a few sports organizations show an upset in the making. Christian McCaffery seems to be doing very, very well.
Why Stanford's Christian McCaffrey will win the Heisman Trophy | NJ.com (http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/why_stanfords_christian_mccaffrey_will_win_the_hei .html)

Urbanized
12-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Presumptuous much?

Not sure why I'm even bothering to respond to this ****ty, trolling comment, but each one of the four playoff teams has two more games in front of it. Whether they make it to the second remains to be seen. Hence the "depending on..." portion of my statement, which surely leaves open the option that he could play poorly and/or lose.

But nice job with the unsolicited crappiness.

Eric
12-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Not sure why I'm even bothering to respond to this ****ty, trolling comment, but each one of the four playoff teams has two more games in front of it. Whether they make it to the second remains to be seen. Hence the "depending on..." portion of my statement, which surely leaves open the option that he could play poorly and/or lose.

But nice job with the unsolicited crappiness.

Call it what you will, but the presumptuous nature surrounding discussions of the Clemson game are kind of getting old. I am not exclusively relating to this board, but actual discussions with real people.

Look I'm not saying OU can't win either, just that Clemson is no push over. They won every game they were supposed to win. That was asking a lot this season apparently and they were the only one to do it. ACC or not, they still beat Notre Dame, Florida State & North Carolina, and then didn't loose to any of those other teams they were supposed to beat. In my opinion, equally as impressive as any Big 12 schedule.

In fairness, the syntax of your sentence only left for the option of him having a good or poor game, not for potentially only having one game left. To me it just sounded like more blow hardiness. I apologize for misunderstanding, and certainly meant no malice by it. Just good ribbing honestly.

Urbanized
12-14-2015, 09:40 AM
I am hardly discounting Clemson. In fact I'm maybe more concerned about them than the other two in the playoffs, owing in part to Venables' presence. It should be a great matchup.

But to the original intent of the thread (and my post), if Mayfield plays well in two more games he will be a favorite for the Heisman next year. I hope my syntax makes you happier this time.