View Full Version : Anyone else have "that" relative?

Bill Robertson
11-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I dread. Sorry but I do. You see, my family has that one guy. He knows everyone, knows everything, tells looooooong stories that you can only try to sleep through. And tells the most horrible jokes EVER' And him and his wife just sit, coiled up, waiting for someone to say something that can start a fight because you're wrong and their right. Every year I can't wait for family holiday get togethers to be over with.

Mel
11-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Might be a shorter list if you asked who didn't have one of "those" kind of relatives. :wink:

ctchandler
11-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I dread. Sorry but I do. You see, my family has that one guy. He knows everyone, knows everything, tells looooooong stories that you can only try to sleep through. And tells the most horrible jokes EVER' And him and his wife just sit, coiled up, waiting for someone to say something that can start a fight because you're wrong and their right. Every year I can't wait for family holiday get togethers to be over with.

Well fine, I just won't come next year!
C. T.

Tundra
11-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Be thankful you don't have this one...... 2mins in is classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCUsNx1HTs

Bill Robertson
11-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Might be a shorter list if you asked who didn't have one of "those" kind of relatives. :wink:True

Dustin
11-27-2015, 06:28 PM

My mom and I are the only progressive, open minded people in my family. I dread Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yesterday I had to sit through a racist rant about Big Sean's performance during the Lions/Eagles game...

Cousin: "Why is he walking like that?"
Uncle: "That's just how they (black people) walk."

It got worse after that...

ljbab728
11-27-2015, 08:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

kevinpate
11-27-2015, 08:52 PM
I use to have that relative.
Major pain in the arse a lot of the time.
Been gone 15 months now.
Damn it.

ctchandler
11-27-2015, 09:15 PM
I use to have that relative.
Major pain in the arse a lot of the time.
Been gone 15 months now.
Damn it.

Kevin,
The loss of my worse relative was still a loss of a good man, so I understand your feelings.
C. T.

MadMonk
11-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Be thankful you don't have this one...... 2mins in is classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCUsNx1HTs

That's fake. He does a lot of crazy dysfunctional family videos like that, but its all fake. Funny though.

Yeah, now I feel like I'm being "that guy" in pointing this out. :wink:

Pete
11-28-2015, 09:55 AM
I'm come to believe lack of self-awareness is among the worst of all human qualities.

And it's usually tightly coupled with a ridiculous amount of delusion.

TheTravellers
11-28-2015, 11:47 AM
My mom and I are the only progressive, open minded people in my family. I dread Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yesterday I had to sit through a racist rant about Big Sean's performance during the Lions/Eagles game...

I started calling my family (and other acquaintances) out on crap like that, got tired of listening to it.

Pete
11-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Or how about the person that launches into a extremely left- or right-wing political rant in front a bunch of people with absolutely no consideration as to who is in the group?

I would actually put Facebook friends in this same category. If you have more than a few friends on that site, chances are a good number of them don't want to hear your hostile diatribes and many flat out strongly disagree with you and may even be offended.

jerrywall
11-29-2015, 11:08 AM

I did. My dad. He died in February. Damn I'd love to be annoyed and frustrated now.

Urbanized
11-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Sorry about your loss, jerrywall.

Tritone
11-29-2015, 08:37 PM
C.T. beat me to it in post #3. Seriously, I have to agree with the others whose "that relative" has passed. No matter how much of a pain they are, enjoy them while they're still here.

Brownwood
11-30-2015, 12:17 PM

This also came up at our dinner, with the additional "at least they didn't let him sing the national anthem, you know how they like to change it to sound like hip hop." This was followed by a rant against college educated young people thinking they deserve to be paid more than workers with experience because they had "a sheet of paper." Finally, we heard about the Mexicans playing their loud music while they work. We left as to avoid a confrontation. Wish we could say we wouldn't return, but we'll be back at Christmas.

okatty
11-30-2015, 12:31 PM
How about if their power goes out and they come stay with you for a few days? :mad:

Mel
11-30-2015, 03:59 PM
How about if their power goes out and they come stay with you for a few days? :mad:

Sorry, but that made me laugh.

Teo9969
12-01-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm quickly becoming that guy on matters of Urbanism vs. Suburbanism :wink:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-03-2015, 09:51 PM
I don't really have anybody that does this at family functions. At least not that I've noticed.

I think that may mean that "that guy" is me.

Crap.

MsProudSooner
12-04-2015, 01:51 PM
I used to have a sister-in-law who told me not believe everything on PBS because the Earth was only 6,000 years old. One of the better things about getting divorced was I don't have to spend holidays around her.

Roger S
12-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Hmmm... This pretty much describes all of my soon to be ex-wife's family members... So glad I'll never have to be a part of that Thanksgiving again! lol

Spent Thanksgiving on the road as part of a 9 day road trip this year and it was the best Thanksgiving I've had in 8 years. Even with the closest I got to a Thanksgiving meal being a Turkey Dinner Slider at the White Castle in Elizabethtown Kentucky... I enjoyed every freaking bite! ;+)

Mel
12-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Hmmm... This pretty much describes all of my soon to be ex-wife's family members... So glad I'll never have to be a part of that Thanksgiving again! lol

Spent Thanksgiving on the road as part of a 9 day road trip this year and it was the best Thanksgiving I've had in 8 years. Even with the closest I got to a Thanksgiving meal being a Turkey Dinner Slider at the White Castle in Elizabethtown Kentucky... I enjoyed every freaking bite! ;+)

Bring any back?

Tritone
12-04-2015, 06:32 PM
[Of course this doesn't apply to MY in-laws] What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws? (pause, pause) Outlaws are wanted.

Mel
12-04-2015, 06:51 PM
[Of course this doesn't apply to MY in-laws] What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws? (pause, pause) Outlaws are wanted.

Snap! Burn!

Roger S
12-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Bring any back?

Nah but I did eat them twice while I was on the road.