View Full Version : Small Freezers

ctchandler
11-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Ok, I'm downsizing and moving into an old folks home. I know, that's politically incorrect, it's actually an independent living center. I have been on the waiting list for sixteen months and was just notified that an opening has come up and I will be moving in sometime in late December or early January. Because of my way of life, I need a small freezer, dormitory size. I hope I have room for a seven cubic foot one but I might have to settle for a five cubic foot unit. Does anybody have a recommendation as to brand and where to purchase one? I have seen the two at Sam's, and they are reasonable, but I don't know about quality. I can afford a really good one, I'm not trying to go on the "cheap". I want a really good one. I appreciate any suggestions.
C. T.

kevinpate
11-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Just looked at lowes.
Idylis 7.1 cubic at 178.00
GE 7.0 cubic foot at 239.

Idylis 5 cubic ft at 148.00

Shop Freezers & Ice Makers at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/Appliances/Freezers-Ice-Makers/_/N-1z11pkg/pl?cm_mmc=search_google-_-Refrigerators%20Exact-_-Freezers%20General-_-small%20freezers&k_clickID=d2def186-51a3-40c5-b1be-f5c06dcee1ce#)!

oklip955
11-26-2015, 09:20 PM
I would go with a whilpool or a GE and avoid an off brand. Also check Metro appliance (Builders) on 33rd west of Kelly. Both of my freezers are at least 20 yo and never had any trouble with them. Just because Lowe's or any other store doesn't have it in the store doesn't mean they cannot order it and get the one you want in fairly quick.

ctchandler
11-26-2015, 09:46 PM
I would go with a whilpool or a GE and avoid an off brand. Also check Metro appliance (Builders) on 33rd west of Kelly. Both of my freezers are at least 20 yo and never had any trouble with them. Just because Lowe's or any other store doesn't have it in the store doesn't mean they cannot order it and get the one you want in fairly quick.

Oklip,
I'm familiar with Metro Appliance and I will visit them next week. By the way, I have an upright freezer that we bought in 1971 and it is still working great. Forty years, not too shabby.
C. T.

Uptowner
11-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Problem with the small ones is nobody manufactures a premium small one. No ice in the door, no tricked out trays. My wife and I rented a 600ft house near 50th & western. It only had a little space carved out in the kitchen for an ice box. Literally a box for ice. We searched all over for a tiny fridge with features. Ended up with a whirl pool that ha an ice make as an accessory purchased separately. I know in Europe and Asia they make tiny fridges with features. Not sure if that helps. But you may be able to buy one online and ship it like we can mini split ductless HVAC.

ctchandler
11-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Problem with the small ones is nobody manufactures a premium small one. No ice in the door, no tricked out trays. My wife and I rented a 600ft house near 50th & western. It only had a little space carved out in the kitchen for an ice box. Literally a box for ice. We searched all over for a tiny fridge with features. Ended up with a whirl pool that ha an ice make as an accessory purchased separately. I know in Europe and Asia they make tiny fridges with features. Not sure if that helps. But you may be able to buy one online and ship it like we can mini split ductless HVAC.

Uptowner,
You are a child! I actually remember "ice boxes" from the 30's and 40's (no, I wasn't born in the 30's) and one sat on my aunt and uncle's porch for years but was used for other things since they had a refrigerator when I was born. Actually, I just want a good quality small freezer because my cottage is furnished with a full sized refrigerator with a top freezer and ice maker. I just need more space than is available. I prefer frost free (it won't be in a good place for defrosting) and chest type. I live alone and I can't explain why I need that much space. Today I have a 24 cubic foot, water and ice through the door, side by side in my kitchen and a large upright freezer in my garage and they are currently both almost full. I will have to cut down some when I move but the top freezer with an ice maker in the way doesn't give me much space.
C. T.

tfvc.org
11-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Uptowner,
I can't explain why I need that much space. Today I have a 24 cubic foot, water and ice through the door, side by side in my kitchen and a large upright freezer in my garage and they are currently both almost full. I will have to cut down some when I move but the top freezer with an ice maker in the way doesn't give me much space.
C. T.

Sounds like CT is storing bodies....

kevinpate
11-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Not bodies, just parts. If you do no more than make a list of things in a typical freezer, it can start to sound a bit like a conversation in a Criminal Minds script.