View Full Version : Component stereo repair questions....

Achilleslastand
11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Dug the old system out of the garage and hooked everything up and the tuner as well as the CD player need minor repair. Its a very old system but wasn't cheap{Yamaha}so if getting it repaired is an option before chucking it, ill try that. It has those huge 150 watt speakers that still sound like they could move mountains,
Looked online and most of the things ive seen look like nothing more than glorified boomboxes with detachable speakers, jeesh thanks to whomever killed the component stereo business.
Anyone know of any repairmen that would work on this kinda thing?

SoonerDave
11-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Dug the old system out of the garage and hooked everything up and the tuner as well as the CD player need minor repair. Its a very old system but wasn't cheap{Yamaha}so if getting it repaired is an option before chucking it, ill try that. It has those huge 150 watt speakers that still sound like they could move mountains,
Looked online and most of the things ive seen look like nothing more than glorified boomboxes with detachable speakers, jeesh thanks to whomever killed the component stereo business.

THey're not nearly as big as they used to be, but a great place for electronics repair I've used is Professional TV and Stereo on N. Portland just south of the 39th Expressway. They used to occupy a big chunk of a stripmall on the west side of the street, but they're not that big anymore. Anyway, I had nothing but good experience with them back when electronics were expensive enough to justify repairing :)

ctchandler
11-24-2015, 01:59 PM
You might check with Audio Midwest, I have used them to help me with a couple of problems, but to be honest, I don't know the extent of their services. Just give them a call and ask.
C. T.

zookeeper
11-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Don't have any ideas for you, but understand the sentiment about killing the stereo component industry. It's all about computers now. I'm amazed how much is wireless now in big concerts.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-26-2015, 06:54 PM
I've recently bought individual amps and two receivers, and I have two full sets of components speakers...Not sure what you're talking about with there not being components any more...Unless you're talking about tape decks, turntables, and CD players. I'm sure those are around but hard to find...Because, let's face it, digital is better for 99% of the purpose of the setup.

Most places won't repair stuff any more, mainly because new things are so much cheaper than their time is worth. However, I've found that a basic electrical knowledge and a soldering iron and some patience will generally net you either a repair or a reasonable diagnosis of what's wrong so you can bust out the google and order a new capacitor or doomoflachy.

tfvc.org
11-27-2015, 05:43 PM
You may want to try Harry's as well. I know they repair TVs/VCRs, but I am sure that this is not out of their realm.

Edmond_Outsider
11-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Protronics does some stereo component repair.

https://www.facebook.com/Protronics-161718343852637/