View Full Version : Sleep Apnea

okieopus
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Hey everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, Apparently, i stop breathing 50 times an hour....which is a little spooky.

Anyone else out there have this disorder? Also have you used a CPAP machine to treat it?

Karried
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
ooohh, that doesn't sound good. Did you get a machine? If so, you will probably start feeling so much better soon - more energetic. My husband's co-worker had this and now sleeps with the aid of the machine and is much better.

Hope it works for you.

Intrepid
09-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, Apparently, i stop breathing 50 times an hour....which is a little spooky.

Anyone else out there have this disorder? Also have you used a CPAP machine to treat it?

I was diagnosed last November. During my sleep study, I stopped breathing 26 times, and the longest time was 29 seconds.

I do use a CPAP machine when I sleep at night, and while I don't always wake up 100% energized the next morning, I can definitely tell a difference between when I used the machine and when I don't.

gbyte
09-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I've never had to use CPAP but with the problems of allergies and acid reflux for the past 2-3 years I've had many sleep apnea-like problems.

Hope it helps ya!

dirtrider73068
09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
My dad has that, makes him snore alot in his sleep, he also coughs and wakes up cause he stopped breathing. He has a machine don't know if thats the one but it has a mask he is suppose to wear. Don't know if he still uses it or not which he should, but when he did he was more refreshed in the mornings.

Intrepid
09-20-2005, 07:54 PM
My dad has that, makes him snore alot in his sleep, he also coughs and wakes up cause he stopped breathing. He has a machine don't know if thats the one but it has a mask he is suppose to wear. Don't know if he still uses it or not which he should, but when he did he was more refreshed in the mornings.

Yup...that sounds like a CPAP machine. There are different types of "masks" and/or "headgear". Mine is not a mask per se. I did some research before getting my machine and found the type of equipment I felt would be the most comfortable.

dirtrider73068
09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Yea it prob is, my mom used it couple times just to see and she said she awoke more refreshed an dshe doesn't have sleep apnea at all. Wonder what other uses that machine can have.

Faith
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
My mother-in-law has severe sleep apnea. She uses the CPAP machine sometimes but can't always because of her sinus problems. She stops breathing all throughout the night and never gets any productive sleep. She was watching my 8 month old son temporarily but is now unable to because she started having sleep apnea attacks during the day time to where she would just pass out no matter where she was, i.e. ( driving, bathroom, standing, etc.)

Intrepid
11-15-2005, 12:31 PM
My mother-in-law has severe sleep apnea. She uses the CPAP machine sometimes but can't always because of her sinus problems. She stops breathing all throughout the night and never gets any productive sleep. She was watching my 8 month old son temporarily but is now unable to because she started having sleep apnea attacks during the day time to where she would just pass out no matter where she was, i.e. ( driving, bathroom, standing, etc.)

Sounds likes it's developed more into narcolepsy (sp?) now. I hope your mother-in-law gets treated for that soon. I had a supervisor at work with narcolepsy, and she had to take medicine for it. The only problem is that the meds gave her bad headaches, but did keep her awake.

Faith
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Do people with narcolepsy go through periods of times during the day to where they just pass out? She can't even drive on the highway anymore because she will go out after like 5 minutes. She is only 52 years old.

Curt
11-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Do people with narcolepsy go through periods of times during the day to where they just pass out? She can't even drive on the highway anymore because she will go out after like 5 minutes. She is only 52 years old.
Yes they do..I work with a guy like that and used to work with an engineer that would pass out at meetings because of it..you'd be talking to the guy and turn around and he'd be sleeping.

Faith
11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Yes they do..I work with a guy like that and used to work with an engineer that would pass out at meetings because of it..you'd be talking to the guy and turn around and he'd be sleeping.

That is exactly what she does. Its very scary. Sometimes she will pass out while I am talking to her on the phone. I didn't know I could be so boring to put someone asleep!

Patrick
11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
okcgoddess, your mother-in-law's condition wouldn't be diagnosed as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is a nervous disorder all by itself, causing severe daytime sleepiness.

You mother-in-law's daytime sleepiness is due to the sleep apnea. It's common for people with sleep apnea to pass out in the middle of the day, because they're not getting proper sleep at night. She may be sleeping, but she's waking up many many times during the night, so she might as well not be sleeping at all.

There are other options since she can't tolerate the CPAP. One is surgery to remove the uvula and part of the trachea. It might be something she should discuss with her doctor.

Check out this link: http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html#uppp

Intrepid
11-15-2005, 04:15 PM
okcgoddess, your mother-in-law's condition wouldn't be diagnosed as narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is a nervous disorder all by itself, causing severe daytime sleepiness.

You mother-in-law's daytime sleepiness is due to the sleep apnea. It's common for people with sleep apnea to pass out in the middle of the day, because they're not getting proper sleep at night. She may be sleeping, but she's waking up many many times during the night, so she might as well not be sleeping at all.

There are other options since she can't tolerate the CPAP. One is surgery to remove the uvula and part of the trachea. It might be something she should discuss with her doctor.

Check out this link: http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html#uppp

Thanks for the clarification Patrick. What would we do without our resident doc??

:spin:

Curt
11-15-2005, 08:41 PM
That is exactly what she does. Its very scary. Sometimes she will pass out while I am talking to her on the phone. I didn't know I could be so boring to put someone asleep!
Well the last part of this statement was funny..I dont think it's you though.
And I guess I am not sure if apnea is related to narcolepsy or what..Apnea is no joking matter.

Faith
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
I talked with my mother-in-law and she said she wasn't born with a uvula. She also said that her doctor has diagnosed her with severe sleep apnea and he calls her attacks narcolepsy attacks. She said she can use the machine but not when she has sinus problems because she wakes up drowning.

Intrepid
11-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I talked with my mother-in-law and she said she wasn't born with a uvula. She also said that her doctor has diagnosed her with severe sleep apnea and he calls her attacks narcolepsy attacks. She said she can use the machine but not when she has sinus problems because she wakes up drowning.

Does your mother-in-law's CPAP have a humidifier attached? The one I use has a humidifier attached. I too have sinus problems and the humidifier really helps me.

Faith
01-09-2006, 08:59 AM
All I can say to anyone who has been diagnosed with sleep apnea or knows someone who has to take this illness very very seriously. My mother in law, best friend, mentor, etc.. who had severe sleep apnea passed away last Monday. She would have been 52 this year.

Keith
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
All I can say to anyone who has been diagnosed with sleep apnea or knows someone who has to take this illness very very seriously. My mother in law, best friend, mentor, etc.. who had severe sleep apnea passed away last Monday. She would have been 52 this year.
I am really sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. It's never easy losing someone, especially if that someone was your best friend or mentor. You are correct....sleep apnea is a very serious illness, and not to be taken lightly.

Karried
01-10-2006, 08:30 AM
okcgoddess, I'm sorry.