View Full Version : Cincinnati...I never knew...

bradh
11-18-2015, 05:31 PM
you were so gorgeous. What a great city, really enjoyed this past weekend there. Absolutely gorgeous views. Really impossible to replace great geography. Unfortunately their streetcar isn't up and running yet, but snapped a shot of one of their stop shelters. I thought they were very nice.

OKCisOK4me
11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
You changed your screenname!

Never officially been to Cincinnati, but I did fly into their airport which is in Kentucky ;-)

mugofbeer
11-18-2015, 08:42 PM
I had a chance to work there for 6bweeks about 20 years ago. Darn near moved there I liked it so much. Being on the river a lot of KY citizens worked for my firm. I thought the OK-TX rivalry was hot until I saw how brutally Ohio folks jabbed KY folks!

Zorba
11-18-2015, 09:51 PM
I lived in Cincinnati for 2 years, absolutely loved the place. Only reason I moved back was to be closer to family and I missed the heat. The first time I drove into Cincinnati from Kentucky I was absolutely shocked. They have improved their downtown substantially since I lived there (moved back in 2009).

BTW: Cincinnati is the birthplace of cornhole.

I had a chance to work there for 6bweeks about 20 years ago. Darn near moved there I liked it so much. Being on the river a lot of KY citizens worked for my firm. I thought the OK-TX rivalry was hot until I saw how brutally Ohio folks jabbed KY folks!

You think that is bad, you should hear the Kentucky vs Northern Kentucky rivalry. I am pretty sure some people in Southern Kentucky think Northern Kentucky is too liberal for the USSR.

rlewis
11-19-2015, 02:13 AM
I grew up in Cincinnati (actually Northern Kentucky) and lived there until I went off to college in 1989. Growing up there, I couldn't wait to move away, because it was a cold weather, humid, old, run-down city. Not much changed there for about 15 years after I left, and in fact it seemed to be going further downhill with embarrassing events like race riots.

However, in the last 5-10 years, the city has really started to get its act together. I am amazed by the changes. Over-the-Rhine, which is a historical neighborhood just north of downtown, looked like a war-zone when I was growing up. Nobody in their right mind would walk through that neighborhood. I would say almost 2/3 of the area (which is the size of Automobile Alley, Bricktown, and Deep Deuce combined) is completely renovated now. The riverfront area has really taken off as well. In a lot of ways, the improvements are similar in form to what we have seen here in OKC. Unfortunately for Cincy, it hasn't really translated into population growth. It still is considered another Rust Belt city that is not very sexy, much like Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't want to move back there, but I am happy that it is making positive steps. I still miss the chili.