View Full Version : I'm not talking about Neptunes

Tundra
11-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Trident missiles 2 of them, at the tune of $70 million a piece were launched off the coast of California.... And the Navy says it's just test. I don't know maybe so but that seems like an expensive damn test. Anyone else have any thoughts behind the two launches?

Abe Blair captures pictures of Trident missile streaking over San Francisco | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3310577/Photographer-captures-awe-inspiring-pictures-nuclear-capable-Trident-missile-streaking-San-Francisco-fired-coast-California.html)

Achilleslastand
11-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Stupid celebs with their idiotic comments, too bad this didn't veer of course into the "K" household.

Tundra
11-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Stupid celebs with their idiotic comments, too bad this didn't veer of course into the "K" household.

Could you imagine mourning that would take place ��

BBatesokc
11-10-2015, 04:28 AM
Trident missiles 2 of them, at the tune of $70 million a piece were launched off the coast of California.... And the Navy says it's just test. I don't know maybe so but that seems like an expensive damn test. Anyone else have any thoughts behind the two launches?

Abe Blair captures pictures of Trident missile streaking over San Francisco | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3310577/Photographer-captures-awe-inspiring-pictures-nuclear-capable-Trident-missile-streaking-San-Francisco-fired-coast-California.html)

Doesn't raise any red flags with me.

If you don't think its a 'test' then exactly what would you attribute it to?

Maybe they were firing at another Chinese nuclear sub before they could flex their muscle by launching another ballistic missile off our coast like they did in 2010 (insert eye-roll here).....

Tundra
11-10-2015, 03:53 PM
Doesn't raise any red flags with me

Maybe they were firing at another Chinese nuclear sub before they could flex their muscle by launching another ballistic missile off our coast like they did in 2010 (insert eye-roll here).....

I actually remember that , however never read where that was confirmed or denied though. I could be wrong but do you really test fire 2 - 70 million dollar missiles , you would think they work well enough that you wouldn't need to test fire a couple to make sure they still work.....

Chadanth
11-10-2015, 03:58 PM
I actually remember that , however never read where that was confirmed or denied though. I could be wrong but do you really test fire 2 - 70 million dollar missiles , you would think they work well enough that you wouldn't need to test fire a couple to make sure they still work.....

Or when you want your $70 million missiles to work for real, you realize that's not the time to wonder if they will.

Tundra
11-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Or when you want your $70 million missiles to work for real, you realize that's not the time to wonder if they will.

So they shoot these off on a regular basis , Just to see if they work? Yes I am being serious....

Chadanth
11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
So they shoot these off on a regular basis , Just to see if they work? Yes I am being serious....

Maybe not on a regular basis, but yeah, we test stuff.

Tundra
11-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Maybe not on a regular basis, but yeah, we test stuff.
Looks like it's a frequently reoccurring process.

The test was part of a scheduled, on-going system evaluation test, said Cmdr. Ryan Perry with the Navy’s Third Fleet.

Perry said launches are conducted on a frequent, recurring basis to ensure the continued reliability of the system. “Each test activity provides valuable information about our systems, thus contributing to assurance in our capabilities,” he said in a statement. What could 70 million a pop be better used for, he makes it sound like they do it every Saturday at noon.

Chadanth
11-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Looks like it's a frequently reoccurring process.

The test was part of a scheduled, on-going system evaluation test, said Cmdr. Ryan Perry with the Navy’s Third Fleet.

Perry said launches are conducted on a frequent, recurring basis to ensure the continued reliability of the system. “Each test activity provides valuable information about our systems, thus contributing to assurance in our capabilities,” he said in a statement. What could 70 million a pop be better used for, he makes it sound like they do it every Saturday at noon.

I don't get that impression at all. What would you rather the $70m be spent on? Do you dislike nuclear deterrent? Do you have any information on how often these are tested, or are you just manufacturing something to gripe about? Do you have any military experience that tells you how often troops should train and how often systems should be tested?

bradh
11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
What's included in that price tag? Is that for a middle with a live warhead? If so, assuming these test missles are dummies, how does that affect the price tag?

R&D and testing can give you sticker shock in any industry buy are necessary evils to ensure accuracy and effectiveness when needed.

duncandl
11-10-2015, 10:39 PM
$70 million is in contractor dollars. It really only cost about $99 and some change.

Deterrence is never practiced, it is performed 24/7x365 right here in OKC. What do you think those Navy planes are doing here?

jerrywall
11-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Shhh... we all know they were defending Stargate base Atlantis from a Hive attack.