View Full Version : Major Problems at Mizzou

Pages : [1] 2

ljbab728
11-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Missouri Tigers football players to strike until embattled Tim Wolfe resigns (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14078494/missouri-tigers-football-players-strike-embattled-tim-wolfe-resigns)

A group of black players on Missouri says it will stop participating in football activities until university system president Tim Wolfe resigns.

Roger S
11-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Well as a Jayhawk.... I've always thought there were major problems at Mizzou.

Urbanized
11-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Yeah too bad Mizzou's not still in the Big 12; Kansas always made the most out of the Civil War genesis of their rivalry (free state vs slave state, Jayhawkers, etc.). They could have really made some hay out of such allegations on the MU campus.

Also, we could all use a weak sister to beat up on in conference. Baylor, TCU and WV have not gracefully accepted perrennial also-ran status.

Roger S
11-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Also, we could all use a weak sister to beat up on in conference. Baylor, TCU and WV have not gracefully accepted perrennial also-ran status.

I was invited to the ISU/OU game last night and I heard a couple of guys sitting behind me discussing the demise of Nebraska/Colorado/Missouri since they bailed on the Big XII.

Tundra
11-08-2015, 10:09 AM
I was invited to the ISU/OU game last night and I heard a couple of guys sitting behind me discussing the demise of Nebraska/Colorado/Missouri since they bailed on the Big XII.

Don't know if you caught the final moments of the Nebraska game or not, but talk about a wacky ending. Its hard to think they were 3-5 coming into that game, Major decline in that program......

Snowman
11-08-2015, 12:28 PM

While it may have accelerated Colorado's slide, certainly there attendance has dipped every year since they left, but they seemed like they had been in a bad rut on the field from around a decade before they left the conference.

Nebraska was pretty much in flux before they left and most of the years seems to have had little change.

I still mostly remember Missouri as a pretty average (sometimes poor) team that was doing somewhat better than their normal at end of their time in the Big XII.

bradh
11-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Going back to the OP, I'm still trying to figure out why this the demands of this protest should be met.

dankrutka
11-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Going back to the OP, I'm still trying to figure out why this the demands of this protest should be met.

Why not? I know a lot of the graduate students participating and it took a lot of racist issues over years for it to come to this. The president really failed in being responsive to his students. There's a critical mass of students and community members participating now, and I think it'll lead to change. If nothing else, university officials will concede because of the terrible press... which has always been a strategy in civil rights struggles.

bradh
11-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Why not? I know a lot of the graduate students participating and it took a lot of racist issues over years for it to come to this. The president really failed in being responsive to his students. There's a critical mass of students and community members participating now, and I think it'll lead to change. If nothing else, university officials will concede because of the terrible press... which has always been a strategy in civil rights struggles.

I just read the list of demands. Do you think all of those should be met?

dankrutka
11-08-2015, 09:15 PM

No, I wasn't speaking to specific demands. That's for the people on campus to figure out. I was just saying that I think their cause is legit.

zookeeper
11-08-2015, 09:16 PM

I know I DON'T. This kind of thing is ridiculous. This is a typical politically correct cause about perceived racism that would just empower others to find a reason to do the same at their schools for the same purpose - to further the White Shame cause...which is the real goal here and it's getting really old. The fact that nobody has come out and called this for what is shows the fear among whites of being called 'racist' for standing up to this mob making demands for 'justice." Nobody is protesting the free-fire criminal zones in most black neighborhoods in American cities. THAT's where their attention needs to be, but that would mean blacks accepting responsibility for what they want to blame on White Privilege.

If Mizzou had any guts at all, they would tell the football players that they play Saturday or lose their scholarships. Period. The administration cannot be held hostage by anyone.

okatty
11-08-2015, 09:49 PM
The Mizzou offense has arguably been on strike all year.

dankrutka
11-08-2015, 11:38 PM
I know I DON'T. This kind of thing is ridiculous. This is a typical politically correct cause about perceived racism that would just empower others to find a reason to do the same at their schools for the same purpose - to further the White Shame cause...which is the real goal here and it's getting really old. The fact that nobody has come out and called this for what is shows the fear among whites of being called 'racist' for standing up to this mob making demands for 'justice." Nobody is protesting the free-fire criminal zones in most black neighborhoods in American cities. THAT's where their attention needs to be, but that would mean blacks accepting responsibility for what they want to blame on White Privilege.

If Mizzou had any guts at all, they would tell the football players that they play Saturday or lose their scholarships. Period. The administration cannot be held hostage by anyone.

Even when students face actual racism (which happened at Mizzou), they are discredited and defamed. Ugh.

I know a lot of the graduate students involved in the protests. They're awesome, caring, and good people. I 100% support their efforts, and I can guarantee you that none of them or any of the current movements have ever asked for white people to feel shame. They've asked them to engage in a conversation about systemic racism which is evident throughout our society - see the resegregation of apartheid schools, the disproportionate punishments against people of color for the same crimes, discriminatory loan rates, and the everyday discrimination which I've never had to deal with. Anyway, if you don't want to engage in a conversation about race, don't. But quit making up concepts like white shame. No one is promoting that concept except white people who somehow don't think racism is real.

Spartan
11-09-2015, 12:28 AM
What dankrutka said. It sounds like there's a situation at Mizzou. I'm not predisposed one way or another, although as a community developer I am generally sympathetic to disenfranchised communities... I think there should be an investigation and we should all just wait to rush to judgment.

Gary Pinkel seems to be part of the strike? He has one of the more stellar records of fighting for his players and embracing their diversity, rather than just bull****ting for wins and/or optics.

Urbanized
11-09-2015, 03:46 AM

Well played. Unlike a Missouri first down.

SoonerDave
11-09-2015, 07:16 AM

Mizzery has an offense?

PhiAlpha
11-09-2015, 07:39 AM

I actually agree with you on something!!

PhiAlpha
11-09-2015, 07:40 AM
Well played. Unlike a Missouri first down.

Or any down?

kelroy55
11-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Don't know if you caught the final moments of the Nebraska game or not, but talk about a wacky ending. Its hard to think they were 3-5 coming into that game, Major decline in that program......

They have a new coach, a new offense, new defense and lost 4 of the games by a total of 8 points on last play of the game scores.

kelroy55
11-09-2015, 08:14 AM

I think it's more to the Black community than 'perceived racism' and the White Shame comment was asinine, IMHO.

bradh
11-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Didn't one of the trigger events for this happen off campus and was started by a couple of punk kids? Hardly within the president's control.

I'm not against having the conversations, but don't piss on zookeeper for bringing up the white shame deal. I've seen that whole "white guilt" thing thrown around on Facebook by white people fighting against racism.

I acknowledge that white privilege exists but there are better ways to go about it than by spewing out a hilarious list of demands.

adaniel
11-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Didn't one of the trigger events for this happen off campus and was started by a couple of punk kids? Hardly within the president's control.

I'm not against having the conversations, but don't piss on zookeeper for bringing up the white shame deal. I've seen that whole "white guilt" thing thrown around on Facebook by white people fighting against racism.

I acknowledge that white privilege exists but there are better ways to go about it than by spewing out a hilarious list of demands.

Lets not confuse the acknowledgement of what is clearly some pretty serious issues with some sort of "guilt." I can't say I have seen too much of that anyway, I have seen a ton of insults thrown their way, however.

Some incidents did involve some townies driving by black students screaming insults, spitting, and waving confederate flags. However there have been some on campus incidents as well, with someone smearing swastikas with their own feces all over the dorms recently that kinda served as the breaking point.

Even when Mizzou was in the Big 12, I heard terrible things regarding this very issue, so to be fair its not entirely this president's fault. I am also not so sure that having him quit or agree to some list will be the best recourse. But its clear his own admitted inaction and shoulder shrugging has allowed current tensions to fester, and he's "lost" the school. This does make me extremely grateful for David Boren's leadership last spring.

EDIT: President just resigned.

bradh
11-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Lets not confuse the acknowledgement of what is clearly some pretty serious issues with some sort of "guilt." I can't say I have seen too much of that anyway, I have seen a ton of insults thrown their way, however.

I have read some of the things that have happened, some did involve some townies driving by black students screaming insults, spitting, and waving confederate flags. However there have been some on campus incidents as well, with someone smearing swastikas with their own feces all over the dorms recently that kinda served as the breaking point.

Even when Mizzou was in the Big 12, I heard terrible things regarding this very issue, so to be fair its not entirely this president's fault. I am also not so sure that having him quit will be the best recourse. But its clear his own admitted inaction and shoulder shrugging has allowed current tensions to fester, and he's "lost" the school.

Yeah I didn't mean to confuse that the "white guilt" thing had to do with this instance. Sorry for the confusion.

I did not know the details of the on campus incidents. That's pretty terrible. I've read some other posts elsewhere that are having the same extreme reaction to this kids protests in the other direction. It's sad that there never seems to be a discussion being had on normal ground, it's always on the extreme end from both sides.

And finally, WTF is up with the state of Missouri in general?

Bullbear
11-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Tim Wolfe, president of the University of Missouri system, announced in a news conference that he was resigning from his post amid a controversy regarding race relations.

dankrutka
11-09-2015, 09:50 AM
These discussions are always difficult, but what frustrates me is when instead of listening to why a student is risking his life, students are sharing the demeaning experiences in their lives, and black professors are sharing the problems they've had for years, don't disregard it. At least listen. To make it about you - that somehow these students and others aren't really sharing their own experiences, but are instead part of a white guilt conspiracy aimed against you - is just frustrating. As part of my job I talk about race with students from all backgrounds and experiences all the time. Never once has their been an intention to make me feel guilt for my whiteness. These claims usually come from people who never have serious discussions about race. Anyway, I'm not sure a message board is the best place to have these discussions anyway as I find looking in someone's eyes is a meaningful part of any discussions about identity.

I hope the Mizzou community uses these events as an opportunity for growth, reconciliation, and unity.

zookeeper
11-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the length, but I hope some will really think about this.

Unbelievable series of events. Now that the president of Missouri has resigned, he has set a precedent for many more like-minded mobs to hold hostage other university systems.

Keep in mind, nobody knows who did the "poo swastika" and very well could have been a black student. These kinds of things turn out to be hoaxes very often. (Remember the black church burnings of the 90's?) The anecdotal stories of name calling and yes, one or two documented events that go on everywhere with every race. This was just a sad spectacle that reading the news the last two hours is actually spiraling out of control. The mob feels empowered now. What a horrible precedent this has set.

Gary Pinkel should be fired. To back a revolt by his mostly black players against the university is certainly not the kind of character-building that some coaches still consider important. Interesting statistic from June of last year - The University of Missouri had the 2nd highest number of campus sexual assaults by athletes in the country (link (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/111520/otl-missouri-had-second-highest-number-of-athletes-alleged-in-sex-assaults)). I guess since this president who resigned didn't address that with "enough" seriousness, the mostly white victims of these attacks by mostly black athletes should have demanded his resignation and demanded someone reign in these entitled thug black athletes? (blacks only comprise 8% of the University of Missouri student body).

There are so many other things I could say. One of their demands was to acknowledge that the administration didn't speak out enough against Ferguson. Please. This is sad, but it's sad for different reasons than Dan has outlined in his posts. Being "President of a University while White" is now a job with a target on them. This opened the doors to mob demands all over the country.

BTW, tonight the mob has turned their anger on the press in a truly bizarre move. These revolutionary wannabes need to be expelled sooner rather than later. Mizzou Protesters: Stay Out of Our "Safe Space" or We'll Call the Cops (!) - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/09/mizzou-protesters-to-media-stay-out-of-our-safe-space-or-we-ll-call-the-cops.html) If I was a Missouri football fan, you wouldn't find me in the stadium until these ungrateful "student athletes" are stripped of their scholarships.

Sad, sad, sad.

ljbab728
11-09-2015, 10:21 PM
This very much harkens back to what was going on around the country at various universities during my college years in the late sixties. Substantive on campus protests were much more common then than they are now.

dankrutka
11-09-2015, 10:46 PM
As anyone could guess I disagree with about everything zookeeper just posted - no surprise. But I'll just respond to the last point. Being white is not a liability for college presidents (quite the opposite just take a look at college president demographics), but the fact that Mizzou's president responded the opposite of David Boren should provide enough of an example. Boren took the racism on his campus seriously and he gained support. Black people fighting for equality aren't mobs - they're human beings who want dignity. Black students aren't looking to oust white presidents - they're looking to oust presidents who are part of the problem.

zookeeper
11-09-2015, 11:49 PM
As anyone could guess I disagree with about everything zookeeper just posted - no surprise. But I'll just respond to the last point. Being white is not a liability for college presidents (quite the opposite just take a look at college president demographics), but the fact that Mizzou's president responded the opposite of David Boren should provide enough of an example. Boren took the racism on his campus seriously and he gained support. Black people fighting for equality aren't mobs - they're human beings who want dignity. Black students aren't looking to oust white presidents - they're looking to oust presidents who are part of the problem.

You are part of academia. Part of the problem of teaching hate toward white people because they aren't sensitized 24/7 to every little perception of racism.

Do you know who did the "poo swastika?" Why do you so easily believe "people of color" and not do the research on how many of these things turned out to be hoaxes perpetrated by blacks?

This whole thing was a hit job on the school president. You have to be a mind-reader to know what these kids think is offensive or "not doing enough."

Did you read the link about all the athletic sexual assaults at Mizzou? Further investigation has shown it's almost all black males on white females. Does anybody care about THAT? Are those girls not human beings who want dignity? BUT, we don't talk about all the crime on campus by 8% of the student population. No....that's racist to dare point out *real* problems at Mizzou. All of these other things pale in comparison to the epidemic of sexual assault by athletes at Missouri. Thugs. But now they walk arm and arm like THEY are the victims!

The people I know at Missouri (granted, only a couple) say that the only race problems they see - almost everyday - are blacks and their gangsta culture accepted by administration because they are afraid to do anything about it. Because all the "white privilege teachers" are right there to tell everyone that the problem is not the black crimes on campus, but that white people made them do it. "Look at their poor history! Slavery! What's a little rape?" Sounds harsh, but that's the unspoken message to these young ladies at Missouri. What's the reaction? Crickets. Somebody gets called a name, and somebody makes a swastika and it's time for revolution!

Wake up, Dan!

dankrutka
11-10-2015, 12:15 AM
There's so much racism in this post I really think Pete needs to delete or close this thread. There's no civil dialogue that will come out of such racist overgeneralizations. You literally equated peaceful protesters to "rapists" and "thugs" by referencing years old stories about students who don't attend Mizzou anymore (which these old stories *were* well covered by the media, namely ESPN, and do seriously think I don't speak out against rape? WTF?!?). You realize all black people aren't the same, right? That's the definition of racism. You learn something about a black person who went to Mizzou in the past and then apply it to other, totally different people.

zookeeper
11-10-2015, 12:40 AM
There's so much racism in this post I really think Pete needs to delete or close this thread. There's no civil dialogue that will come out of such racist overgeneralizations. Equating the protesters to rapists is disgusting.

(Shaking my head) Dan, That's just rich. After what's happened the past 48 hours at Mizzou and all the major over-generalizations that's forced out the president of the school, and this mob (yes, that's exactly how they are now acting) makes it sound like Missouri is a hotbed of the Klan. A few isolated incidents by stupid people and then some that may very well be hoaxes, and they "demanded" the president of Missouri step down.

But - you say, quote: "There's no civil dialogue that will come out of such racist overgeneralizations." Talking about me!

Rich, Dan. I mean that's just pointing out the splinter in my eye while ignoring the plank in the "protesters" at Mizzou.

Over-generalizations. There's not a better word to describe what's happened at the University of Missouri the past 48 hours.

By the way, this is a pretty hot-button topic right now. It is so typical for you to cry foul and ask Pete to "close the thread," when anyone refutes your "facts" with statistics and links to stories that make a person think twice about these kinds of incidents and put them in perspective.

To quote a famous Missourian, President Harry S. Truman:
"They say I give everybody hell. Actually, I just tell the truth - and they think its hell."

dankrutka
11-10-2015, 12:49 AM
This thread is going nowhere. I love being challenged to see issues from different perspectives, but we're talking past each other. We're clearly not going to get anywhere discussing these issues behind the keys of a message board. I don't like engaging in conversations like these because we're not learning or listening to each other. I'd be happy to grab a beer or coffee and talk in person next time I'm in OKC. I think you'd find a pretty nice guy. Best.

zookeeper
11-10-2015, 12:57 AM
This thread is going nowhere. I love being challenged to see issues from different perspectives, but we're talking past each other. We're clearly not going to get anywhere discussing these issues behind the keys of a message board. I don't like engaging in conversations like these because we're not learning or listening to each other. I'd be happy to grab a beer or coffee and talk in person next time I'm in OKC. I think you'd find a pretty nice guy. Best.

With all due respect, I have always thought you a nice guy. It's not personal. But read your own posts. You were making points about how this really is racism and the protesters are in the right. So you were perfectly willing to "engage in conversation" as long as you were never challenged.

Maybe move this to politics, but deletion for over-generalizations on my part? The whole issue at Mizzou is one big issue of over-generalazation with these people painting everyone as racists who don't agree with their "List of Demands."

I would love to talk to you in person. As I said, I generally like your posts and agree often. But all of this PC "white privilege" stuff, (which I see as blatant racism) is just too much for me. Best to you as well Dan.

OKCisOK4me
11-12-2015, 05:27 AM
And now we learn the poo-schwastica never even existed... This is turning into a WTF Moment in history...

White Peacock
11-12-2015, 09:16 AM
This is Tumblr come to life.

I know, the Tumblr phenomenon was borne of university hyper-liberalism, but it's all becoming a caricature of humanity. Racism is real, and the gravity of real racism will forever be ignored thanks to the cry-wolf accusations of a generation of overly sensitive ninnies who are so over-saturating the culture with PC demands that every concept will eventually lose all meaning and all of our thoughts will be policed and filtered before broadcast by those who have a true grasp on the importance of sensitivity.

Adults should not need coddling, nor should safe spaces be provided to protect their feels.

As to the specific conditions at Missouri, what could their president have really done? How can he make right the general feeling of uneasiness on the part of a small minority group beyond the hyper-liberal culture that's already fostered on campuses across the US? Who do you punish for a sh*t swastika that nobody even bothered to snap a photo of? Naturally if there's a legit case of discrimination, you go after the offender(s) and see that they're disciplined appropriately, but this whole debacle seems like hyperbole and opportunism.

TU 'cane
11-12-2015, 02:28 PM
There's so much racism in this post I really think Pete needs to delete or close this thread. There's no civil dialogue that will come out of such racist overgeneralizations.

You know, I didn't even really read much of zoo's posts, so perhaps I should, but, this is one of the points that's trying to be made, I think. We jump to conclusions and EVERYONE is offended by something.

I've noticed lately that Europeans and Canadians are starting to create weekly memes about how every day someone, or some group finds something to be offended by in the U.S.
It's beyond annoying at this point. People are calling everything racist (whether something is or is not) and it is extremely tiring. Pulling out race cards in every single argument/debate/conversation is not a way to have civil dialogue, instead, it has a contrary impact - it shuts discussion down. Some people, such as me, believe it's used on purpose just for that. I don't know you, I don't know zoo, all I know is, this country has a serious PC problem. Instead of people just acknowledging the human aspect first, we have people trying to segregate even further. So, I'm not trying to dig personally at you, just the situation.

Additional notes:
The swastika on the bathroom wall was proven to be a hoax.
The KKK throwing bricks through dorm windows hasn't been proven, either.
Additionally, the black students SEGREGATED the white "allies" and told them to move to another room so only the black students could talk in their own space.

Furthermore, I highly encourage people to read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" as I think it could settle much of the race-ignited conversations and statements put forth by blacks, whites, and Native Americans as of late.

gopokes88
11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Is the entire Mizzou Protest Based on Lies? | FOX Sports (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115)

Offended by everything generation.

jerrywall
11-12-2015, 03:44 PM
If I never see the word poopswastika again, I'll be thrilled.

Tundra
11-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Is the entire Mizzou Protest Based on Lies? | FOX Sports (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115)

Cry baby generation.

It's an absolute disgrace, to all mankind. I can't believe what a terrible generation of kids has been raised to believe , "life is fair".... well guess what life isn't fair in the real world, they are trying very hard to get it there , and still have a long way to go if it ever will be.

PhiAlpha
11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
And now we learn the poo-schwastica never even existed... This is turning into a WTF Moment in history...

The poop swastika is fake. The whole world is a lie. I don't even know what's real anymore.

gopokes88
11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
It's an absolute disgrace, to all mankind. I can't believe what a terrible generation of kids has been raised to believe , "life is fair".... well guess what life isn't fair in the real world, they are trying very hard to get it there , and still have a long way to go if it ever will be.

It's a toxic mixture of vain participation trophy social justice warriors. This was always going to be the result. Be so tolerant of anything and everything until you are tolerant of absolutely nothing. Even the silver lady is starting to notice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/opinion/mizzou-yale-and-free-speech.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

gopokes88
11-12-2015, 03:57 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

I feel like we're living this right now.

jerrywall
11-12-2015, 04:00 PM
The poop swastika is fake. The whole world is a lie. I don't even know what's real anymore.

Darnit! There's that word again.

OKCRT
11-12-2015, 04:06 PM

I have many friends in Como and this whole episode appears to have been started by someone of color, a student that transferred from UGA.

Martin
11-12-2015, 04:09 PM
i just want to say that 'poop swastika' is now the name of my 80's punk tribute band. -M

mugofbeer
11-12-2015, 04:44 PM
There's so much racism in this post I really think Pete needs to delete or close this thread. There's no civil dialogue that will come out of such racist .......

This crap is exactly what I see as the main problem with student activist movements, Black Lives Matter and the left in general. Someone voices an opinion that differs from theirs then the answer is to defile them personally, shout them down and/or prevent them from exercising their right to their opinion.....all while saying the problems we have are only going to be eliminated is through dialogue and understanding! The only dialogue these leftist groups want is to hear their own. Prevent the rest from even speaking. Dan, your statement is 100% hypocrisy.

TU 'cane
11-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Darnit! There's that word again.

i just want to say that 'poop swastika' is now the name of my 80's punk tribute band. -M

It's stuck now Jerry. Martin seems pretty serious about this.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop this by:

Tundra
11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

I feel like we're living this right now.

They're eating their own......

gopokes88
11-12-2015, 09:10 PM
They're eating their own......

I want it to swing back the right. I'm so tired of having "conversations" about every little injustice in the world.

Let's just go back to whooping a knuckle heads ass.

Some of the hardest lessons in life are learned when you take a fist to the face.

TU 'cane
11-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Darn it. My attachment/image above didn't save.
It was this guy:

Canoe
11-13-2015, 05:19 AM

Offended by everything generation.

Edit: The poop incident happened. It is still unknown who did it.

When we subsidized this behavior, we (society) will get more of this behavior. If you get your rewards and punishments correct the system will correct over time.

This is not a generational problem, it is our society's problem.

White Peacock
11-13-2015, 07:17 AM
The Poop Swastika Lives!
Mizzou Releases Photos Of Poop Swastika (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/12/mizzou-releases-photos-of-poop-swastika-discloses-details-of-previously-unreported-racial-slurs/)

TexanOkie
11-13-2015, 08:05 AM
The Poop Swastika Lives!
Mizzou Releases Photos Of Poop Swastika (http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/12/mizzou-releases-photos-of-poop-swastika-discloses-details-of-previously-unreported-racial-slurs/)

So many issues here, not the least of which is that some college-aged person (supposedly) is drawing ANYTHING with feces. Not to downplay its status as a hate crime, but I'd frankly be more concerned about the content if it were standard graffiti using paint/ink.

White Peacock
11-13-2015, 08:55 AM
So many issues here, not the least of which is that some college-aged person (supposedly) is drawing ANYTHING with feces. Not to downplay its status as a hate crime, but I'd frankly be more concerned about the content if it were standard graffiti using paint/ink.

Yeah, the medium used is the most concerning thing about it. This isn't in any way indicative of any kind of organized/institutional racism. This is some sick weirdo playing with poo.

TexanOkie
11-13-2015, 09:03 AM
Yeah, the medium used is the most concerning thing about it. This isn't in any way indicative of any kind of organized/institutional racism. This is some sick weirdo playing with poo.

Hmm. I suppose I thought--after reading the the statements from the Mizzou football team, the Concerned Student 1950 organization, and the subsequently released list of demands--that the organized/institutional racism the students were protesting about was the lackadaisical response to this incident (and a few others similar to it, though a little more conventional in execution), not necessarily the incident itself.

That being said, I do think the medium used in this particular instance indicates either some mental problems or intently focused hate, and not passive institutional racism.

FighttheGoodFight
11-13-2015, 09:17 AM
The Poop Swastika Lives!

I'm sorry but I laughed.

OKCisOK4me
11-13-2015, 10:26 AM
The Poop Swastika Lives!

Looks like Mmmmm has his cover art for his new album.

White Peacock
11-13-2015, 10:48 AM
Hmm. I suppose I thought--after reading the the statements from the Mizzou football team, the Concerned Student 1950 organization, and the subsequently released list of demands--that the organized/institutional racism the students were protesting about was the lackadaisical response to this incident (and a few others similar to it, though a little more conventional in execution), not necessarily the incident itself.

That being said, I do think the medium used in this particular instance indicates either some mental problems or intently focused hate, and not passive institutional racism.

Inaction (or perceived substandard action) is only proof of inaction. And what do you do about a sh*t smear on a wall? You'd have to DNA test the sh*t, then mandate every suspect submit a DNA sample for comparison, in order to determine whose sh*t was used. And if none of your suspects matched, you have to make everybody submit a sample until you find a match. Short of that, all the school can do is say "that's not nice, somebody come out and admit to being Adolf Sh*tler, please."

hoya
11-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Inaction (or perceived substandard action) is only proof of inaction. And what do you do about a sh*t smear on a wall? You'd have to DNA test the sh*t, then mandate every suspect submit a DNA sample for comparison, in order to determine whose sh*t was used. And if none of your suspects matched, you have to make everybody submit a sample until you find a match. Short of that, all the school can do is say "that's not nice, somebody come out and admit to being Adolf Sh*tler, please."

Even if you DNA test it, you only know whose poop it was. That person might only be guilty of not flushing.

White Peacock
11-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Even if you DNA test it, you only know whose poop it was. That person might only be guilty of not flushing.

They still need the book thrown at 'em, nasty bastards.