View Full Version : Apple Story opening Saturday!

jbrown84
09-19-2005, 05:30 PM
The Apple Store at Penn Square is set for a grand opening Saturday. As a hardcore Mac user, I'm very excited. I won't buy from there, because there are cheaper places to buy, but it's fun to look at all the gadgets there. And having a store here puts us in the company of Denver, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Nashville, Kansas City, and St. Louis. Tulsa doesn't have it, neither does Wichita, Little Rock, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Omaha, New Orleans, Shreveport, Birmingham, Colorado Springs, or Salt Lake City.

Also, San Antonio just got theirs a few weeks ago.

Penn Square is doing a good job bringing in pretty major upscale stores.

okcpulse
09-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I'll buy a Mac if they'll buy my PC. Short of that, I just want the OS.

PUGalicious
09-20-2005, 04:33 AM
I'd buy a Mac and just throw away the P(iece of)C(rap).

I own four Macs now. Love them. Couldn't live without them. I'll be stopping by the new Apple Store to drool over the new stuff as well as check out the newest Ipod Nano.

Luke
09-20-2005, 04:55 AM
okcpulse, you should look at the mac mini. It's $499 and all you do is swap out your current computer and plug in the same monitor, keyboard and mouse you already have. It's a great switcher machine.

http://www.apple.com/macmini

See ya at the Apple Store Saturday. I'll be there.

okcpulse
09-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Hey now, Scribe, I put a lot of sweat into the type of PC I built, as well as investment =). It has 1GB DDR333 RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 (A bit old school now), SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card w/ front end drive slot hook-ups & monster jacks, PCI DV Capture Card, AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU~1.8 GHz (that's old school as well).

I plan to upgrade to an AMD 64 FX-57 CPU, NVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB GDDR3 graphics card, and of course, a new motherboard. The hardware is needed for accelerated video editing and gaming. I currently run Windows XP Pro on my PC, but I plan to upgrade to Vista upon its release. I do, however, prefer OS X if I had an option.

This is hardware you cannot get on a Mac. But that being said, I plan to buy my wife an Apple iMac after we move to Texas, but I can't today. I still want to visit the store. The sleek operating system and hardware design is envious.

PUGalicious
09-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Hey now, Scribe, I put a lot of sweat into the type of PC I built, as well as investment =). It has 1GB DDR333 RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 (A bit old school now), SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card w/ front end drive slot hook-ups & monster jacks, PCI DV Capture Card, AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU~1.8 GHz (that's old school as well).

I plan to upgrade to an AMD 64 FX-57 CPU, NVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB GDDR3 graphics card, and of course, a new motherboard. The hardware is needed for accelerated video editing and gaming. I currently run Windows XP Pro on my PC, but I plan to upgrade to Vista upon its release. I do, however, prefer OS X if I had an option.

This is hardware you cannot get on a Mac. But that being said, I plan to buy my wife an Apple iMac after we move to Texas, but I can't today. I still want to visit the store. The sleek operating system and hardware design is envious.
Well, my business partner uses a PC and I give her a hard time all the time. But, for many people, a PC works best. I'm just a diehard Apple fan.

I just wish someone could combine the best of both to create the ultimate dream machine.

BDP
09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
, 128MB ATI Radeon 9200 (A bit old school now), SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card w/ front end drive slot hook-ups & monster jacks, PCI DV Capture Card, AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU~1.8 GHz (that's old school as well).

I find that when most people are forming their opinions on PC v. Mac, they are not comparing the same thing. Mac's are generally all good, but if you spend the same type of money on a PC that you would a quality MAC, you can't get a great computer. I think PC's reputation is dragged through the mud by the many cheap PCs in use today.

For example, I have a PC at work that I use for large photo editing, web design, and some video and audio editing, and it has never given me one bit of problem and it flies. It costs about the same as a comparable Mac. Of course, my $350 PC at home would collapse under the strain. And it's largely off that $350 machine which PCs have garnered their reputation, as Apple lost a lot of ground in the affordable personal computer market in the 90s.

I think it just depends on your budget and the kind of software and OS you want to run. No doubt Macs are great computers, but spend the same amount of money and you can get a comparable PC.

TStheThird
09-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Have you guys heard about Mac making the transition from Power PC to Intel Processors by 2007? They will start shipping some computers with Intel by June of 2006.

okcpulse
09-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Rumor has it that Apple is developing Mac OS X for compatibility with a PC (x86 platform). I personally don't think it will happen, but that would be the big piece of the ultimate dream machine puzzle. For those not in the know, Mac OS X is built on NetBSD Unix code, and anyone in the computer world knows how well Unix runs.

BDP
09-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Rumor has it that Apple is developing Mac OS X for compatibility with a PC (x86 platform).

That would nice.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Penn Square is being pretty conservative in who they lease to. That's why often you'll see an empty space with a temporary short term store for months at a time. Currently though, they don't have too many empty spaces left. Penn Square is pretty full.

gnomeok
09-23-2005, 03:18 AM
OSX can be easily run from a PC...if you have the right hardware of course. And I'm not talking emulation, I'm talking native dual-booting.

Do a Google search for OSx86 and snoop around.