View Full Version : Beer

Pages : [1] 2

trousers
11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
After seeing the turn that the Rock & Brew thread took I decided to start a dedicated thread to wonderful stuff that is beer.
What's your favorite, what won't you drink on a dare, what's new, and where did you get it?

trousers
11-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Thursday 11/05 is International Stout Day. Tapwerks has quite a line up planned.

sooner88
11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Thursday 11/05 is International Stout Day. Tapwerks has quite a line up planned.

That Goose Island BCBS is really really good.

bchris02
11-04-2015, 02:03 PM
My go-to beers are usually Coop F5, Horny Toad, Native Amber, or Anthem Golden One.

Here in Oklahoma I stay away from 3.2 domestics.

OkieHornet
11-04-2015, 02:24 PM
great brewfest tomorrow night at the ballpark. all local breweries.
OKBio BrewFest (http://okbio.org/events/okbio-brewfest-2/)

here's the beer lineup:
http://okbio.org/2015-okbio-brewfest-vendor-card/

Jersey Boss
11-04-2015, 02:25 PM
One of my pet peeves is the locally popular misleading terminology equating "domestic" with 3.2. . "Hey bartender, Sam Adams is a domestic beer, so give me that domestic price that you are offering".

bchris02
11-04-2015, 03:01 PM
One of my pet peeves is the locally popular misleading terminology equating "domestic" with 3.2. . "Hey bartender, Sam Adams is a domestic beer, so give me that domestic price that you are offering".

Sam Adams is technically domestic, but most people everywhere equate the term "domestic" with the offerings of the big brewers like Bud, Miller, and Coors. It isn't really a unique thing to Oklahoma.

MadMonk
11-04-2015, 03:09 PM
My tastes aren't too exotic, in terms of brands I've sampled. As for styles, I like a light lager for hanging by the pool, porters and malty stouts for savoring, wheat beers, oktoberfests, belgian whites and trappists. Not much of an IPA fan though, but I'm trying to get into it.

A few of those that I'm partial to:
Hoegaarden
Fat Tire
Chimay blue label
Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout
Newcastle Brown Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
COOP DNR & Oktoberfest
Shiner Bock and Shiner Light Blonde
Anchor Porter

Cheap lake/pool beers - Bud Light, Dos Equis, Tecate, Modelo Especial, etc.

Are any of you beer fans members on BeerAdvocate (http://www.beeradvocate.com/)or use the Untappd (https://untappd.com/) app?

camrun91
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Love Coops DNR and severalof there other ones. Don't know if any of you know but they have a tap house on SW 44th just West of Council they do free beer tastings and tours of the brewery almost every Saturday. Roughtail is another local one that is pretty good.

OKCinsomniac
11-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Our locals turn out great stuff. We are really lucky! Also it is pretty easy to find good local stuff on tap around, especially in Deep Deuce and Midtown. Looking forward to the OKBio Brewfest tomorrow (posted above).

Some of my favs:
Mustang Wa****a Wheat
COOP DNR
Anthem Arjuna
Guinness
Hoegaarden
Blanche de Bruxelles
Anthem Wild Brew Tripel
Roughtail Hoptometrist
Elk Valley Sweet Revenge
Franziskaner Hefe
Black Mesa ESB

I use Untappd. It is so much better now that you don't have to spell everything exactly right (hard to type after a couple pops, ya know...) :)

The COOP Oktoberfest was great, and I just had a chance to try the Mustang Udderly Awesome Peanut Butter Stout, which I really enjoyed.

Easy180
11-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Currently hooked on Coop Oktoberfest but since I'm trying to keep the calories down I've been drinking Point Drop Dead Blonde Ale. Not bad for 110 calories.

bchris02
11-04-2015, 05:01 PM
Currently hooked on Coop Oktoberfest but since I'm trying to keep the calories down I've been drinking Point Drop Dead Blonde Ale. Not bad for 110 calories.

I really liked Coop Oktoberfest until I discovered Anthem Ogletoberfest. It's probably the best Oktoberfest I've ever had.

Easy180
11-04-2015, 06:24 PM
I really liked Coop Oktoberfest until I discovered Anthem Ogletoberfest. It's probably the best Oktoberfest I've ever had.

I tried Ogletoberfest but I didn't like it as well as the Coop. Coop nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

ctchandler
11-04-2015, 06:50 PM
I mentioned in the Rock and Brews thread that I really enjoyed Anthem's Juan Pedro. I like every Anthem I have tried. Black Mesa's ESB is excellent as well.
C. T.

sooner88
11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
As on overall, drinkable beer, Native Amber is by far my favorite. Coop in general is great. As a specialty beer, Prairie is the best in Oklahoma. I'm not one, but my friends that trade beer through sites like beer advocate, Prairie is one of the most desirable around the country from this region (which makes sense because of the low production). If you like sours, the funky gold amarillo is great and has been on tap occasionally at oak and ore.

Urban Pioneer
11-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Coop F5 and Green Flash IPA are my favs.
I do drink Kona Longboards at home.

Pete
11-05-2015, 05:57 AM
COOP Native Amber is near the top of my list for the locals.

Still busy sampling a bunch of others but really like most of what I've tried from COOP and Anthem.

Urbanized
11-05-2015, 06:26 AM
COOP Native Amber
Roughtail 12th Round
Dead Armadillo Amber
Prairie Standard farmhouse ale
COOP F5
COOP GranSport Porter
Anthem Arjunta
Anthem Golden One

Those are my go-to beers, and usually I can find one or more available anyplace I'm likely to go. I rarely drink non-Oklahoma beers these days, because anyplace where I might care to drink that might have other good beers will also offer one of these. All are excellent.

trousers
11-05-2015, 06:50 AM
I've been on a bit of a German kick of late. Drank my far share of the Warsteiner Oktoberfest when it was readily available but mainly a lot of Erdinger. Really, Really like their Dunkel.

A current local fave is the Mustang peanut butter stout. If you can get it on tap someplace its really good.

trousers
11-05-2015, 07:00 AM
Here is a (hopefully accurate) schedule for some of the local brewers tap rooms.

Mustang: Friday 4-7
COOP: Saturday 1-5
Anthem: Mon-Fri 1-5, every other Sat 1-5
Roughtail: Fri 4-10 Sat 12-8 & Sun 12-8 not 100% on these guys...their hours seem a bit erratic

Mustang also has Elk Valley coming out of their location as well.
Havent been there myself but I've heard really good things about the Marshall tap room in Tulsa.

Eddie1
11-05-2015, 08:38 AM
I love the title of this thread...

camrun91
11-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Here is a (hopefully accurate) schedule for some of the local brewers tap rooms.

Mustang: Friday 4-7
COOP: Saturday 1-5
Anthem: Mon-Fri 1-5, every other Sat 1-5
Roughtail: Fri 4-10 Sat 12-8 & Sun 12-8 not 100% on these guys...their hours seem a bit erratic

Mustang also has Elk Valley coming out of their location as well.
Havent been there myself but I've heard really good things about the Marshall tap room in Tulsa.

Do you know the prices on any of these do they do tastings? I know Coop does free tastings and tours at theirs.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-05-2015, 11:15 AM
I got married and had kids...My beer consumption has dropped to near-nil, as a result, I tend to not branch out much any more.

Mowing - Bud Light Lime
Working in shop - Smithwicks, or whatever is free because I'm working on somebody else's stuff for beer lol
Hanging out with the wife, or having a nice meal - Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label). It's all I'll drink in the house, and I keep a few liter bottles around.

In the past, John Courage Irish Amber was a favorite, as was (like MadMonk mentioned above) Anchor Porter.

IPA's taste like prison beer that has been strained through a sock, and anybody that likes them is WRONG WRONG WROOOOOONG.

Easy180
11-05-2015, 12:09 PM
I love the title of this thread...

But it is somewhat vague lol

Easy180
11-05-2015, 12:11 PM
I got married and had kids...My beer consumption has dropped to near-nil, as a result, I tend to not branch out much any more.

Mowing - Bud Light Lime
Working in shop - Smithwicks, or whatever is free because I'm working on somebody else's stuff for beer lol
Hanging out with the wife, or having a nice meal - Chimay Grande Reserve (blue label). It's all I'll drink in the house, and I keep a few liter bottles around.

In the past, John Courage Irish Amber was a favorite, as was (like MadMonk mentioned above) Anchor Porter.

IPA's taste like prison beer that has been strained through a sock, and anybody that likes them is WRONG WRONG WROOOOOONG.

Agree with ya on IPA's. The only one I like is the Abita Grapefruit IPA because the grapefruit removes most of the IPA Taste lol

bchris02
11-05-2015, 12:13 PM
IPAs are definitely an acquired taste. The first one I tried was Sweetwater IPA out of Atlanta, and I could hardly drink it. Now I have learned to love them.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Now I have learned to love them.

http://i54.tinypic.com/21lo501.jpg

trousers
11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Do you know the prices on any of these do they do tastings? I know Coop does free tastings and tours at theirs.
Mustang is free, pretty sure that Anthem is as well.
Roughtails website says $5, but I've gotten plenty of samples there for free.

tfvc.org
11-05-2015, 04:16 PM
When I lived in Denver 90% of my beer drinking was Fat Tire or Wynkoop Railyard Ale, with the majority of being Fat Tire. I can not wait until they come to the state. I hardly drink beer here because Denver spoiled me. I can't drink Coors or any of that other cheep stuff.

Urbanized
11-05-2015, 06:32 PM
^^^^^^^
If you can't find good Oklahoma brews, you're not trying very hard. And Fat Tire isn't as good today as it was before NB expanded production a decade or so ago. Honestly I think beers like Native Amber and 12th Round give Fat Tire all it wants.

tfvc.org
11-05-2015, 07:08 PM
I will look for those beers. When I first moved here for the first time they said that Shiner Bock was a good alt, I found it watered down.

bchris02
11-05-2015, 08:12 PM
^^^^^^^
If you can't find good Oklahoma brews, you're not trying very hard. And Fat Tire isn't as good today as it was before NB expanded production a decade or so ago. Honestly I think beers like Native Amber and 12th Round give Fat Tire all it wants.

Completely agree with this. I rarely drink anything non-local these days.

UrbanNebraska
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Was at the neighborhood beer shop earlier today and noticed a can with a tornado on it and decided to check it out. Picked it up and sure enough said made in OKC on it. Had to give it a shot.

http://s24.postimg.org/5tovprkhh/image.jpg

Cheers from the Big O!

bchris02
12-11-2015, 07:15 PM
I didn't know you could get COOP beers in other states. Its good to see them expanding. It's amazing beer and something I've always thought I would really miss if I left OKC.

Tundra
12-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Stella is the best beer period...

Chadanth
12-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Stella is the best beer period...

It's a little lighter than my usual preference, but very refreshing and palate cleansing. Good beer.

MadMonk
12-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Stella is the best beer period...*
*for you

Fixed that for ya. :)

Urbanized
12-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I didn't know you could get COOP beers in other states. Its good to see them expanding. It's amazing beer and something I've always thought I would really miss if I left OKC.

Yeah, they're also in (at least) Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri. They have long-term plans to distribute in Texas but will have to upgrade production capacity again first.

Jersey Boss
12-15-2015, 08:02 PM
^^^^^^ I hope the expansion does not compromise the quality, ala New Belgium.

Jersey Boss
12-15-2015, 08:07 PM
It's a little lighter than my usual preference, but very refreshing and palate cleansing. Good beer.

A little skunky smell which seems to be par for beer shipped long distance in green bottles. Similar bouquet to little sister Heineken. The taste does not share the smell but I find it very underwhelming.

bchris02
12-29-2015, 08:49 PM
Quick question.

For those who have had New Belgium 1554 (I always make it a point to get a six pack of it when I go to Texas or Arkansas), what Oklahoma beer would you recommend that compares closely to it?

bchris02
12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Speaking of New Belgium, Fat Tire may be coming to Oklahoma...but it won't be the real version.

New Belgium Will Sell 3.2 Percent Fat Tire in Bottles and Cans | Westword (http://www.westword.com/restaurants/new-belgium-will-sell-32-percent-fat-tire-in-bottles-and-cans-7056069)

Urbanized
12-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Not sure if you'll find a comparable Oklahoma brew. I'm not aware of a state-brewed black lager. Most lagers here are brewed as lowest-common denominator switch beers. The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.

TheTravellers
12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
... The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.

That is one trend that needs to start tapering off and going away, I'm more of a dark beer guy (had a Leinie Xmas shandy and wife asked what was wrong with me 'cos she could see through my beer) and hate that massive hopping that is going on now (especially with beers that do not need massive hops, like a porter, yuuuuuuck).

bchris02
12-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Not sure if you'll find a comparable Oklahoma brew. I'm not aware of a state-brewed black lager. Most lagers here are brewed as lowest-common denominator switch beers. The better-quality brewers here are expending most of their effort on hoppier stuff.

What is your favorite black lager available for sale in Oklahoma?

Urbanized
12-30-2015, 10:02 AM
That is one trend that needs to start tapering off and going away, I'm more of a dark beer guy (had a Leinie Xmas shandy and wife asked what was wrong with me 'cos she could see through my beer) and hate that massive hopping that is going on now (especially with beers that do not need massive hops, like a porter, yuuuuuuck).
Well, I love true-to-style beers, but I don't mind experimentation, either. And I've grown to love hoppier beers, but still stop short of being a full-on always-IPA hop head. I've definitely switched to more of an ale drinker vs. lagers, but still love a great porter, an occasional stout or doppelbock (though they usually tend to be too sweet for my palate these days). I also love a good dunkelweizen from time to time. But OK brewers haven't really taken on German styles much.

Urbanized
12-30-2015, 10:08 AM
What is your favorite black lager available for sale in Oklahoma?

Well, a couple of times I've had Rogue Dirtoir and really liked it, though I haven't seen it in too many stores. Full Sail Session Black is pretty good too. I haven't had the Samuel Adams Black Lager, but I've seen it in stores, and SA usually does a pretty good job, though I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorite breweries these days.

gopokes88
12-30-2015, 10:25 AM
I don't really care that much about fat tire. Since the local/craft beer explosion it's kinda lost some its luster. It used to be one of only a handful of "good beers" in a sea of bud, throw in the I can't get it so now I want it even more effect it's pretty overrated in 2015. Also if we couldn't get Sam Adams in Oklahoma but could get fat tire, you'd hear everyone whining and talking about how they drive to Texas just to get some Oktoberfest.

bchris02
12-30-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't really care that much about fat tire. Since the local/craft beer explosion it's kinda lost some its luster. It used to be one of only a handful of "good beers" in a sea of bud, throw in the I can't get it so now I want it even more effect it's pretty overrated in 2015. Also if we couldn't get Sam Adams in Oklahoma but could get fat tire, you'd hear everyone whining and talking about how they drive to Texas just to get some Oktoberfest.

I do agree on Fat Tire. I like New Belgium beers but Fat Tire isn't one of my favorites. As for Oktoberfest, Anthem and COOP's take on it are way better than Sam Adams in my opinion.

gopokes88
12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
I do agree on Fat Tire. I like New Belgium beers but Fat Tire isn't one of my favorites. As for Oktoberfest, Anthem and COOP's take on it are way better than Sam Adams in my opinion.

Anthem had major consistentcy problems this year.

I think there's just a I can't buy it here so now I want it even more effect with NB. Once it gets here it'll be just like Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams. They make great beers, but it'll lose some of its omg NB luster.

Urbanized
12-30-2015, 10:35 AM
I'll take COOP Native Amber, Roughtail 12 Round or Dead Armadillo Amber over Fat Tire any day. Fat Tire has lost a step. It will be nice if one day we get the full New Belgium line here, if only because it means that we have passed the refrigerated beer law. But for my money Fat Tire is mostly irrelevant these days.

jrod
01-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Totally agree. There are plenty of much better locals than Fat Tire. And, they're all but guaranteed to be fresher, which, for an Amber, you would want.

Uptowner
01-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Lagunitas has hit our market HARD. their reps are spreading it all over town. And we're getting their, albeit mass produced, but excellent seasonals like hairy eyeball.

mattjank
01-04-2016, 10:21 AM
I'll take COOP Native Amber, Roughtail 12 Round or Dead Armadillo Amber over Fat Tire any day. Fat Tire has lost a step. It will be nice if one day we get the full New Belgium line here, if only because it means that we have passed the refrigerated beer law. But for my money Fat Tire is mostly irrelevant these days.

Agreed, but I do love the Lips of Faith series that they put out.

trousers
01-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Quick question.

For those who have had New Belgium 1554 (I always make it a point to get a six pack of it when I go to Texas or Arkansas), what Oklahoma beer would you recommend that compares closely to it?
The only Oklahoma black ale that I am aware of is Marshall's El Cucuy. Not normally a fan of that style but its not bad at all.

trousers
01-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Stout fans should check out Black Mesa's Los Naranjos. Really good stuff.

dankrutka
01-04-2016, 11:15 PM
I like dark and wheaty beers over IPAs (I know, blasphemy) and my favorite Oklahoma beer is Marshall's Sundown Wheat.

trousers
01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm with you a 100%, most of the current IPA's out are so overcharged with hops they are almost undrinkable. I really prefer stouts, porters, dunkels, and just about anything Belgian.

Urbanized
01-06-2016, 06:34 AM
The only Oklahoma black ale that I am aware of is Marshall's El Cucuy. Not normally a fan of that style but its not bad at all.

That's a black ale. He was asking about an MIO standin for NB 1554, which is a black LAGER.

trousers
01-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Well considering that they actually had to relabeled it from ale to LAGER I don't see that it matters a whole hell of a lot.
Lager or Not, Ale Like You a Lot: New Belgium?s 1554 (http://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter/lager-or-not-ale-like-you-a-lot-new-belgiums-1554)

Until recently Texas had a law stating that any beer with an ABV over 5 percent must either be labeled an ale or a malt liquor. Since 1554 is kind of an ale—and because we wanted to sell 1554 in Texas—we labeled it an ‘Enlightened Black Ale