View Full Version : Mount Saint Mary

Pete
11-03-2015, 07:00 AM
They have started a campaign to add a new cafeteria / community center on their gorgeous campus:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54473686e4b07eb19f4807d7/t/545d9435e4b08c4a3adc9101/1415418937514/MSM_Aerial_View.jpg?format=1500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54473686e4b07eb19f4807d7/t/545d9451e4b08c4a3adc9132/1415418966533/MSM_West_Side.jpg?format=1500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54473686e4b07eb19f4807d7/t/545d946ee4b0b49a35de3638/1415418996298/MSM-East-Entrance.jpg?format=1500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/54473686e4b07eb19f4807d7/t/545d94b7e4b00403fdd2152b/1415419066229/MSM-inside-commons.jpg?format=1500w

Pete
11-03-2015, 07:02 AM
http://www.fathertomboyer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IMG_0493-620x465.jpg

hfry
11-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting Pete. Back when I graduated 4 years ago a new cafeteria was greatly needed but it has taken the back road to some other projects over the years so I'm glad it seems to be their new focus. It's truly amazing how old that building is but with the fire in 08 or 09 it allowed them to really redo a lot of the inside and reopen back up the 3rd floor fully.
I know I'm bias but it's still one of my favorite spots in Okc. The campus is beautiful and they have always taken great care to preserve it. There was a rumor when I was in school that they wanted to build a softball field on the south side of the campus but it got nixed because the sisters of mercy didn't want to destroy the very old trees, who knows how much of it is true but the care for the campus is nothing short of amazing.

Pete
11-03-2015, 10:15 AM
^

It really is one of the coolest, most beautiful settings in OKC.

I'd really like to be a part of helping the surrounding area redevelop.

hfry
11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
One of the things I loved is every year each grade takes a service trip and helps clean, do yard work, paint or really anything for residents of the surrounding neighborhood. One year we cleaned what seemed like an old junk yard from some peoples back yard and seeing how thankful they were just made it all worth it.
As students my senior year for off campus lunch we would try and eat in Capitol all at Grill on the hill or Coney Island and a few others. I've always thought that Capitol Hill has so much potential I can't wait to see it all come back and be a really thriving neighborhood. Wheeler just to the north can really help too if it is even half of what the drawing depicted.

chuck5815
11-03-2015, 10:33 AM
^

It really is one of the coolest, most beautiful settings in OKC.

I'd really like to be a part of helping the surrounding area redevelop.

Mount 2 Shore, if you will. :cool:

Pete
11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Mount 2 Shore, if you will. :cool:

Haha... Yeah, we would certainly have to come up with a catchy name!

With the Wheeler District and now Fowler getting involved in Capitol Hill events, it's time to get this area ready for when the streetcar starts running down there... Then things will really take off.

hfry
11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I was actually driving through the neighborhood and found an old building for sale that I had never seen before. It was on 23rd and Harvey and I was curious if any of our history buffs might not if there is anything special about it. 11735

baralheia
11-03-2015, 11:43 AM
That's the old Capitol Hill General Hospital at 2400 S Harvey. Beautiful building. 5 stories total, including basement and penthouse. It's currently owned by CTC Properties, LLC, but they appear to be trying to sell it. According to a listing on LoopNet, it was listed for sale in July of this year, then set as "Off Market" in September. The building probably deserves it's own thread (if there isn't one already) as I imagine this building will start getting some love as Capitol Hill begins to gentrify.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone snaps this building up and turns it into apartments.

oklip955
11-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Off topic and need to figure out how to start a thread on this. Anyone have the history on Capitol hill general hospital? Also how about old hospitals that no longer existed or have moved to new locations.

ljbab728
11-03-2015, 09:33 PM
As usual, Doug Loudenback has great historical images. There is not much history given though.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Historic Capitol Hlll (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2009/05/historic-capitol-hlll.html)

Jim Kyle
11-04-2015, 11:00 AM
There's a small building just north of 24th, on Harvey, that was owned by Dr. Charles Engles and his wife Dr. Loretta Graham Engles. She was our family physician for more than 40 years, until she closed her practice at the end of 1999. He died many years before that, of a heart attack. They were among the group responsible for moving the old hospital to what is now Integris at SW 44 and Western, during the late 60s or early 70s.

At the time, the facilities at the old building had become extremely sub-standard and the area desperately needed a more modern facility.

To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Loretta is still with us though she would be approaching 100 by now. It would be worth while for historians to contact her at Epworth Villa and collect her memories of the older days! Her nephew, Dr. Craig Engles, took over the practice as of 1/1/2000 and might be able to help also...

Pete
09-04-2016, 01:08 PM
I was by there today and notice they have started on their Commons project.

Such a beautiful school and setting.

Laramie
09-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Real jewel of a building across from Sacred Heart Catholic Church @ 27th South Shartel. Recall my purchase of a raffle ticket in which I won a turkey. When I came to claim my prize; Sister Mary Hortense (Principal) took me to an area where I thought there were freezer compartments.

To my surprise, there it was, a live turkey. Damn thing nearly beat me to death trying to get it home in the back seat of my '76 Impala Chevrolet station wagon.

Yes, good memories of the Mount. The top floor was where many retiring nuns (Sisters of Mercy) were housed--may still be.

Beautiful structure that adds to the significance of historic buildings on the south side including Sacred Heart & Little Flower Catholic Churches.

Southside Jewels
https://s2.graphiq.com/sites/default/files/5/media/images/Mount_Saint_Mary_High_School_270452.jpg
Mount St. Mary's High School, Oklahoma City
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/5a5f794c-ca4a-4193-abd7-4d7a14faae1d.JPG
Sacred Catholic Church, exterior
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/catholicchurches/littleflower_10_10_2007_02s.jpg
Little Flower Catholic Church, interior

turnpup
09-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Laramie, what happened to the turkey after you got it home? Did it become a pet, or dinner, or both? :)

Laramie
09-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Laramie, what happened to the turkey after you got it home? Did it become a pet, or dinner, or both? :)

It became a pet, kept attacking the dogs and chasing the children in my neighborhood; so we finally took it out to my Aunt Alberta's in Green Pastures. She put it in with the turkeys, chickens & guineas on her acerage.

My aunt talked as though it was too old & tough to eat. Kept it around mostly as a pet.

Jeepnokc
09-04-2016, 11:11 PM
No nuns there now. Top floor is abandoned for general reference. http://www.abandonedok.com/mount-st-marys-high-school-4th-floor/

dankrutka
09-04-2016, 11:31 PM
That's a hilarious story.

turnpup
09-05-2016, 08:45 AM
It became a pet, kept attacking the dogs and chasing the children in my neighborhood; so we finally took it out to my Aunt Alberta's in Green Pastures. She put it in with the turkeys, chickens & guineas on her acerage.

My aunt talked as though it was too old & tough to eat. Kept it around mostly as a pet.

Sounds like nobody had the heart to kill it.

When I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, somebody in the PTA gave my dad two chicks. He brought them home and we promptly fell in love with them. They grew into big white hens and started laying eggs for us. One of them always laid double-yolk eggs. It was great knowing those eggs were going to be there every single day. The hens lived quite a few years, presumably until the end of their natural lives.

SouthSide
09-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Does anyone on this forum live in this area? What is the neighborhood like?

oklip955
09-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Back in the 80's it seemed to me to be a lot of elderly blue collar, now its a thriving Hispanic area. I was told that the numbers attending mass at Sacred Heart parish had dwindled but now its thriving with the Hispanic influx. In the area new business and some real good Hispanic bakeries.

oklip955
09-12-2016, 07:24 AM
The homes are bunglow style with many built in the 20's if I guess right.

Pete
05-31-2017, 07:45 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/stmarys052817.jpg

Canoe
05-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Perfecto

Jeepnokc
06-04-2017, 06:05 PM

My kids go here. This is a new commons area, kitchen and cafeteria for the students. Here is more information http://www.adgokc.com/portfolio/mount-st-mary-high-school-commons-addition/

Pete
04-04-2018, 07:43 AM
The expansion at St. Mary's is almost complete:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/stmarys040118.jpg

kswright29
04-04-2018, 08:22 PM
The expansion at St. Mary's is almost complete:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/stmarys040118.jpg

It opened last Thursday. My daughter has given it rave reviews!:D

Pete
07-06-2018, 07:17 AM
This school is such a gem:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/stmarys062318a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/stmarys062318b.jpg

Jeepnokc
07-06-2018, 07:33 AM
The expansion turned out nice. I have been to several kid events there and was impressed with how they blended in the old with the new. I will have to get pics next time I am there but where they attached to the old building...they left parts exposed so your could see the original details.

Canoe
05-20-2022, 05:34 AM
There is a new article concerning the school on KFOR's website.

https://kfor.com/news/local/lawsuit-filed-against-catholic-high-school-in-oklahoma-city-over-alleged-rape-culture/

Does anyone have mlre information about this?

April in the Plaza
05-22-2022, 02:11 PM
There is a new article concerning the school on KFOR's website.

https://kfor.com/news/local/lawsuit-filed-against-catholic-high-school-in-oklahoma-city-over-alleged-rape-culture/

Does anyone have mlre information about this?

MSM recently hired the current principal of St. Elizabeth's in Edmond. From what I understand, she is a no BS type that will get the Mount back on the right track.

soonerguru
05-22-2022, 09:22 PM
MSM recently hired the current principal of St. Elizabeth's in Edmond. From what I understand, she is a no BS type that will get the Mount back on the right track.

Good news. Hopefully their liability insurance is significant.

onthestrip
05-23-2022, 09:15 AM
MSM hiding sexual harassments, now a story of Southern Baptist leaders hiding years of sexual harassments and assaults, obviously Catholic church has similar history. What is it about churches always protecting terrible men?

barrettd
05-23-2022, 10:54 AM
MSM hiding sexual harassments, now a story of Southern Baptist leaders hiding years of sexual harassments and assaults, obviously Catholic church has similar history. What is it about churches always protecting terrible men?

It's not exclusive to churches.

Pete
05-23-2022, 11:46 AM
^

It's not exclusive to churches but the reasons this has happened in the past are 1) the ostensible infallible nature of church leaders and therefore little to no oversight; 2) too much power in the hands of too few; and 3) the self-righteousness of the people involved (which is often used as a cloak for despicable acts and to deflect any accusations or hint of impropriety). It's also why there are so many financial scandals involving organized religion.

The sexual abuse issue has directly impacted multiple generations in my own family and went on for decades and on a larger scale, centuries. You literally can't imagine the forever impact on lives.

"The surest sign of personal corruption is conspicuous virtue." ~ me

Plutonic Panda
05-23-2022, 01:58 PM
^

It's not exclusive to churches but the reasons this has happened in the past are 1) the ostensible infallible nature of church leaders and therefore little to no oversight; 2) too much power in the hands of too few; and 3) the self-righteousness of the people involved (which is often used as a cloak for despicable acts and to deflect any accusations or hint of impropriety). It's also why there are so many financial scandals involving organized religion.

The sexual abuse issue has directly impacted multiple generations in my own family and went on for decades and on a larger scale, centuries. You literally can't imagine the forever impact on lives.

Not to mention the cycle it creates where many sexual abusers were abused themselves as kids. Not that it excuses it, nothing does, but it’s important to see the long term ramifications that extend beyond’s ones own life.

Rover
05-24-2022, 07:39 AM
^

The tenet of infallibility is not about the human frailties, but is regarding the Pope’s decrees on articles of faith. If others assume the mantle of infallibility it is of their own human making and like other human arrogance in any other position… like politics, or online posting……

Pete
05-24-2022, 07:41 AM
^

Sexual abuse transcends a particular faith, however.

Tons of incidences in the Mormon church, Baptists, etc.

PoliSciGuy
05-24-2022, 08:29 AM

Not even unique to religion in general. Sadly any human institution with power hierarchies are fertile ground for predators. One need only look at colleges, police departments, Hollywood and countless other secular institutions to see this play out. It's a sad reflection on human nature and how we comport ourselves.

onthestrip
05-24-2022, 09:04 AM
It's not exclusive to churches.

Sure, but I expect more out of a church than the Harvey Weinsteins or Larry Nassers of the world.

Canoe
05-24-2022, 09:20 AM
Sure, but I expect more out of a church than the Harvey Weinsteins or Larry Nassers of the world.

You should expect more out of everyone.

Midtowner
05-24-2022, 09:53 AM

Anywhere you have organized religion, you are going to be looking at a pedophile predator's best hunting ground. First, you have a collection of like-minded folks who are conditioned to believe faith leaders are trustworthy. You also have folks who are conditioned to believe that seemingly ridiculous things are true, e.g., God's destruction of "evil" cities and his transformation of Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for not heeding the angel's warning, that the walls of Jericho were wrecked by some musical instruments, that a lady who took a bite out of an apple in the middle of a garden after being goaded by a snake into doing so is the source of all sin, that a small group of people gathered two of every animal in the entire world and floated around on a barge for 40 days and nights after the entire world was flooded, etc. If you'll believe those things, especially if you're a child, you're also going to believe Pastor Keith when he tells you touching you down there is what God wants. Children should be protected from religion. I say this having learned a few years back that the priest at my childhood church was a predator who they simply shifted to a small town church, and when they couldn't cover it up anymore, they moved him to some sort of hospice clergy position. He never perped on me as he never had the opportunity. And that said, as a kid, I thought he was a terrific person and looking back, I had 100% faith that he was a good guy, and I really did want to be an altar boy.

Religion and religiosity are powerful tools of oppression and manipulation in the wrong hands. Grifters and pedophiles have been taking advantage of it for all of recorded history. I do want to introduce my kid to religion, but I want her to approach it with healthy skepticism and to approach religious figures as human beings who you cannot ever completely trust.

With regard to the MSM issue, I attended Catholic Schools, and I doubt much has changed. When I was at McGuinness, the faculty became aware that the "Men's Club," a stupid organization every male student was pressured to join. I sat out. I believe I was the only person in my class to sit out. As part of the initiation into this group, freshman male students were subjected to sexual abuse and humiliation by older students. Once the faculty became aware this had happened, the organization was officially shut down. I don't think anyone single person was disciplined, or if they were, it was handled discretely enough that I never became aware of anyone being disciplined.

Image is everything to these institutions. They appear to be beyond reproach and moral because they do a good job at covering up all of the immorality that goes on. That said, I won't sit here and completely bad mouth that institution as I know it provides a decent education these days. I haven't darkened the door of that school in over 20 years. They have excellent athletics these days and are a great place for upper middle class kids to network.

barrettd
05-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Anywhere you have organized religion, you are going to be looking at a pedophile predator's best hunting ground. First, you have a collection of like-minded folks who are conditioned to believe faith leaders are trustworthy. You also have folks who are conditioned to believe that seemingly ridiculous things are true, e.g., God's destruction of "evil" cities and his transformation of Lot's wife into a pillar of salt for not heeding the angel's warning, that the walls of Jericho were wrecked by some musical instruments, that a lady who took a bite out of an apple in the middle of a garden after being goaded by a snake into doing so is the source of all sin, that a small group of people gathered two of every animal in the entire world and floated around on a barge for 40 days and nights after the entire world was flooded, etc. If you'll believe those things, especially if you're a child, you're also going to believe Pastor Keith when he tells you touching you down there is what God wants. Children should be protected from religion. I say this having learned a few years back that the priest at my childhood church was a predator who they simply shifted to a small town church, and when they couldn't cover it up anymore, they moved him to some sort of hospice clergy position. He never perped on me as he never had the opportunity. And that said, as a kid, I thought he was a terrific person and looking back, I had 100% faith that he was a good guy, and I really did want to be an altar boy.

Religion and religiosity are powerful tools of oppression and manipulation in the wrong hands. Grifters and pedophiles have been taking advantage of it for all of recorded history. I do want to introduce my kid to religion, but I want her to approach it with healthy skepticism and to approach religious figures as human beings who you cannot ever completely trust.

With regard to the MSM issue, I attended Catholic Schools, and I doubt much has changed. When I was at McGuinness, the faculty became aware that the "Men's Club," a stupid organization every male student was pressured to join. I sat out. I believe I was the only person in my class to sit out. As part of the initiation into this group, freshman male students were subjected to sexual abuse and humiliation by older students. Once the faculty became aware this had happened, the organization was officially shut down. I don't think anyone single person was disciplined, or if they were, it was handled discretely enough that I never became aware of anyone being disciplined.

Image is everything to these institutions. They appear to be beyond reproach and moral because they do a good job at covering up all of the immorality that goes on. That said, I won't sit here and completely bad mouth that institution as I know it provides a decent education these days. I haven't darkened the door of that school in over 20 years. They have excellent athletics these days and are a great place for upper middle class kids to network.

The Men's Club had been doing that crap since its inception, back when I was a student there. It was always a very stupid thing. The degradation of the freshman girls in Pep Club was also terrible.

Midtowner
05-24-2022, 10:58 AM
The Men's Club had been doing that crap since its inception, back when I was a student there. It was always a very stupid thing.

I couldn't believe at the time that I was the only student to opt out of the hazing. All you had to do was just decline to participate. Nothing happened.

The degradation of the freshman girls in Pep Club was also terrible.

Agree with that as well. I think all of their hazing happened on campus. I can conform though, the hazing was entirely an opt-in situation and everybody but me opted in. Applying today's hazing statutes to what happened back then, by today's standards, crimes happened.

barrettd
05-25-2022, 07:00 AM
I couldn't believe at the time that I was the only student to opt out of the hazing. All you had to do was just decline to participate. Nothing happened.

Yeah it must have been formed my sophomore or junior year. I didn't get the opportunity to be hazed, though I did participate in the club as an upperclassmen, so, strictly speaking, I was part of the problem. The whole hazing thing has never been something I've understood. A kid is supposed to sit there and take all of this abuse (mental/physical) to prove they are worthy of your group/frat/whatever? It's never made sense to me.

The Shadow
05-26-2022, 05:43 PM
It began in the fall of 1989.

Midtowner, I'm curious what year it ended?

barrettd
05-26-2022, 06:36 PM
It began in the fall of 1989.

Midtowner, I'm curious what year it ended?

Sounds right. I was a sophomore.

Midtowner
05-26-2022, 09:32 PM
'95-96 was the year it shut down. I don't know whether that was permanent. It could be functioning today for all I know.

sooner88
05-27-2022, 07:31 AM
'95-96 was the year it shut down. I don't know whether that was permanent. It could be functioning today for all I know.

When I was there from '03-'07 it was not a thing, but there was a similar "Gentlemen's Club" that a group attempted to start which sounds like a quasi-resurrection of the Men's Club. While the faculty allowed it, it never caught much traction / reached the level mentioned above. However, paddling freshman was definitely something that still happened.

barrettd
05-27-2022, 10:19 AM
When I was there from '03-'07 it was not a thing, but there was a similar "Gentlemen's Club" that a group attempted to start which sounds like a quasi-resurrection of the Men's Club. While the faculty allowed it, it never caught much traction / reached the level mentioned above. However, paddling freshman was definitely something that still happened.

Ugh. Gentlemen's Club sounds even worse. I'm curious who the faculty sponsor would have been.

Canoe
05-27-2022, 02:04 PM
Never knew so many of the posters grew up going to private schools.