View Full Version : New Optional License Plate Design

Plutonic Panda
11-02-2015, 07:53 AM
These are pretty cool.

https://localtvkfor.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/46sarplate.jpg?w=584

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma is coming out with new license plates.

The new plates will celebrate the Sooner State’s first flag and its official motto: “Labor Omnia Vincit.”

The motto translates to “Work conquers all.”

The first flag was created in 1911 and consisted of a white star in the middle of a red field. The star was outlined in blue and had a blue “46” in the middle – significant of Oklahoma being the 46th state.

- New license plates honor Oklahoma history | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/11/01/new-license-plates-honor-oklahoma-history/#thumbnail-modal)

Zuplar
11-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Might be time for me to get a new plate.

AP
11-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Those are pretty cool.

Martin
11-02-2015, 08:05 AM
oh, yeah... that design rocks. -M

Bullbear
11-02-2015, 08:45 AM
I want that on my truck!

bradh
11-02-2015, 08:59 AM
cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?

Filthy
11-02-2015, 09:09 AM
I like the design. I've got personalized tags on most of my cars, that have some smartass comment or saying. Pretty sure you won't have the option to choose what the text says.....but the design/colorway of this particular plate is pretty cool. Might have to try one out.

Bullbear
11-02-2015, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=pahdz;917177]cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?[/QUOTE
I thought that was just for vanity plates. I think you can choose to just have this as your standard plate.. but I don't know for sure.

bradh
11-02-2015, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=pahdz;917177]cool, but are they still going to have that stupid requirement that to get a special plate you still have to have a regular one as well?[/QUOTE
I thought that was just for vanity plates. I think you can choose to just have this as your standard plate.. but I don't know for sure.

They require them for the Thunder plates, so I just assumed it was like that for all non-standard plates.

Pete
11-02-2015, 09:20 AM
This is pretty cool... From worldlicenceplates.com:

http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/US_OKXX_GI4.jpg

Filthy
11-02-2015, 10:04 AM

I'm kinda partial to that 82-88 design! The 76' Centennial tag is also cool. (Although there weren't many, if any cars built in 76' that were worth a damn)

A 74' plate is pretty rare to find.....as the plate factory that built Oklahoma tags (prison) burned down before they went into production. So, they had to use provisionary plates, and offered stickers in late 73/74 (as noted by 74' sticker in the lower right hand corner of the tag.)

I can't remember the exact years...but If I recall, back in like 66 thru 69..the Oklahoma license plates alternated every year, between black/Orange for OSU.....and Red/White for OU. And then one of the fan bases got butt hurt, and they put a stop to it. There is actually a lot of cool history in regards to license plates. Obviously its more interesting for some..than others...for me, I like it because I like to have a period correct license plate when I restore an old car. Ive attached a link below, that explains some of the intricacies of Oklahoma plates over the years....

History of Oklahoma License Plates (http://www.oktagagent.com/fusontagagency/history.html)

TU 'cane
11-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Really haven't been a fan of the newest plates, it's so hard to see what's going on from a normal driving distance.
I do like the 46 plate's colors and designs. Not huge on the motto being there.

Martin
11-02-2015, 10:25 AM
still like the plate's design but couldn't help myself...

http://www.magnvs.de/pics/okplate.png

Urbanized
11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
That's fantastic. Hoping they will make them for motorcycles too.

Pete
11-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Do OK plates still use the county prefixes?

I always liked that you could tell where a car was from by the first 2-3 letters on the plate.

Martin
11-02-2015, 10:31 AM

I always liked that you could tell where a car was from by the first 2-3 letters on the plate.

i liked that, too... i might be wrong, but i didn't think that convention exists any longer. -M

Urbanized
11-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Not sure if they still do. Kansas always took that a step further by putting actual abbreviations for the county on the plate. For decades they were stamped, and then they became stickers in an upper corner, with the other corner getting a COMBO month/year sticker instead of just the year on one side and month on the other. Not sure if they are still doing this, but they were doing so until a very few years ago, at least. This tag would have been from Harvey County (HV), while places like Wichita would show SG (Sedgwick) and Kansas City would show JO (Johnson):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/1967_KS_license_plate.JPG

Pete
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
^

Oklahoma used county abbreviations as well, with the exceptions of Oklahoma (started with X or Y) and Tulsa (Z).

In the image above, GF is Garfield County, etc.:

Oklahoma - county codes (http://www.bprlicenseplates.com/Oklahoma%20-%20county%20codes.htm)

MadMonk
11-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Huh...I never realized that our tags had country prefixes, but in truth, I've never really thought much about my tags. Now I'm going to be noticing all the different prefixes. :D

As for the design...I guess I could take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.

OkieHornet
11-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Huh...I never realized that our tags had country prefixes, but in truth, I've never really thought much about my tags. Now I'm going to be noticing all the different prefixes. :D

As for the design...I guess I could take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it.

county prefixes were used in the past, not currently. and the design is a special plate design you have to order, it won't be the general plate design.

and according to the order form, looks like it will be a while before it gets manufactured:
Before the license plates can be ordered or manufactured, the Oklahoma Tax Commission must have 100 prepaid applications
on file by May 1, 2016. If an insufficient number of applications are received by that date, all application fees
will be refunded. Once a plate is approved for issuance, please allow 6 to 8 months for processing.

rezman
11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
P
I'm kinda partial to that 82-88 design! The 76' Centennial tag is also cool. (Although there weren't many, if any cars built in 76' that were worth a damn)

A 74' plate is pretty rare to find.....as the plate factory that built Oklahoma tags (prison) burned down before they went into production. So, they had to use provisionary plates, and offered stickers in late 73/74 (as noted by 74' sticker in the lower right hand corner of the tag.)

I can't remember the exact years...but If I recall, back in like 66 thru 69..the Oklahoma license plates alternated every year, between black/Orange for OSU.....and Red/White for OU. And then one of the fan bases got butt hurt, and they put a stop to it. There is actually a lot of cool history in regards to license plates. Obviously its more interesting for some..than others...for me, I like it because I like to have a period correct license plate when I restore an old car. Ive attached a link below, that explains some of the intricacies of Oklahoma plates over the years....

History of Oklahoma License Plates (http://www.oktagagent.com/fusontagagency/history.html)

There were some '74 plates that made it into circulation, although very few. ... On the very rare occasion that you may come across one, they are expensive if for sale. I have all of the stamped dated Okla plates pictured above, and I found a guy that had a '74 full plate, but I couldn't part with the $100 bill he wanted for it.

Jersey Boss
11-02-2015, 02:00 PM

The month sticker in the upper left corner reflects county and expiration month. Mine has CL-12

Stew
11-02-2015, 02:17 PM

If I see this right before 1979 you had to get a new physical license plate every year. That seems like a waste. Also, since there's no month designation would that mean every car owner in the state had to get it in December. I bet that was a heck of a log jam. Interesting photo for sure.

SoonerDave
11-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Yes, you had to get a new plate every year until they introduced the sticker program. My grandmother had her old plates hung on the wall of her garage going back to the 50's as I recall. I think the practical reality was there really wasn't the reliable technology for something as novel as the stickers for annual renewal, and the plates were so cheap to produce back then nothing else was economically sensible.

FighttheGoodFight
11-02-2015, 02:32 PM
How can we get these? Extra fee involved? I hate the current plates. They are just ugly.

Pete
11-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Right, you got a brand new plate every year until the late 70's.

I bought my first car in 1976 and had the three or so old plates for a long time.

In a weird trick of memory, I can never remember my current plates (had them for over 10 years) but I can remember those from my first car 39 years ago: XO-5098.

OkieHornet
11-02-2015, 02:34 PM
How can we get these? Extra fee involved? I hate the current plates. They are just ugly.

Oklahoma Tax Commission - 2016 Special License Plates (http://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/Motor_Vehicle/Forms_&_Publications/Specialty_Plate_Forms/2016_Special_License_Plates/)

MadMonk
11-02-2015, 02:54 PM
county prefixes were used in the past, not currently. and the design is a special plate design you have to order, it won't be the general plate design.

*County - that's what I meant, not "country". Danged fat fingers. :)
After I posted that I realized that these aren't going to be standard issue. I've gotta read closer next time. Thanks for the clarification.

Filthy
11-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Oklahoma Tax Commission - 2016 Special License Plates (http://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/Motor_Vehicle/Forms_&_Publications/Specialty_Plate_Forms/2016_Special_License_Plates/)

After looking at the link you shared, these new "46" plates are allowed to be personalized. Only difference is that you are only allowed 6 letters or numerals, and the star will be in the middle. So 3 spaces on the left, and 3 spaces on the right. Seems legit.

Urbanized
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
I'd like to have the plate, but not have it personalized. Besides the fact that I've always thought most vanity plates are gauche, they are also much easier to remember for the random road rager who you might accidentally cut off...

FighttheGoodFight
11-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks!

Only $18. Looks like I will get one when my tag expires in Jan.

windowphobe
11-02-2015, 04:36 PM
They've started putting county abbreviations in the sticker with the month of expiration, though those who don't have one, as I don't, are not required to get one.

rezman
11-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Yes, you had to get a new plate every year until they introduced the sticker program. My grandmother had her old plates hung on the wall of her garage going back to the 50's as I recall. I think the practical reality was there really wasn't the reliable technology for something as novel as the stickers for annual renewal, and the plates were so cheap to produce back then nothing else was economically sensible.

This reminds me of when I grew up in Warr Acres, and went to Putnam City Intermediate school at 39th & Ann Arbor. On Ann Arbor, south of 39th street, behind where the current 7-11 is, right next to the railroad track that used to cross Ann Arbor was a shop building that was completely shingled in old license plates. When they finally tore it down, i remember wishing I could be there to see if I could find any plates that were salvageable.

Tritone
11-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I like the red 46 plate, but then I am fond of simple designs.
After the prison riot our plates were made in Arkansas. I liked the changing colors, especially the SWOSU blue 1979-1980.

Zuplar
11-02-2015, 06:41 PM
I've always bought my plates and sticker in the county where I work so it's always wrong for where I actually live.

jerrywall
11-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I just wished they offered motorcycle version of these plates. Would love an OSU one...

Urbanized
11-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Agree about the motorcycle version. That would look crazy good on my Triumph.

ctchandler
11-04-2015, 06:05 PM
^

Oklahoma used county abbreviations as well, with the exceptions of Oklahoma (started with X or Y) and Tulsa (Z).

In the image above, GF is Garfield County, etc.:

Oklahoma - county codes (http://www.bprlicenseplates.com/Oklahoma%20-%20county%20codes.htm)

Pete,
Actually, about the time that dirt was invented, the Oklahoma County tags were "OK-12345". And Tulsa was the same although I don't remember the prefix. One day in the 60's they started running out of numbers and went to the X and Y. I may be off on the years, hopefully someone will jump in and validate my comment.
C. T.

BBatesokc
11-05-2015, 04:24 AM
oh, yeah... that design rocks. -M

I was just thinking how cool that would have looked on my old Land Cruiser. Guess it will have to do on the F150.

Filthy
11-05-2015, 07:20 AM
Besides the fact that I've always thought most vanity plates are gauche

Well, that's kind of the point...right?

turnpup
11-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Right, you got a brand new plate every year until the late 70's.

I bought my first car in 1976 and had the three or so old plates for a long time.

In a weird trick of memory, I can never remember my current plates (had them for over 10 years) but I can remember those from my first car 39 years ago: XO-5098.

That's funny, Pete, because I was just remembering the license plate number from the first car I got, back in 1985: YR-6206.

MagzOK
06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Just spoke with the motor vehicle division, special plate section of the Ok Tax Comm. Cliff said the design was approved and applicants should be looking at about a 6 to 8 week turnaround time. I'm stoked as I turned my application in before Christmas AND they ran my check around then, too!

MagzOK
08-28-2016, 08:31 AM
I saw this design on a bunch of shirts, hats, coffee mugs, and decals at the Oklahoma Territorial Museum in Guthrie. I think I remember reading that some folks might have been looking for the design on a shirt. Everything was super cheap, too, but good materials. I snagged a shirt and a coffee mug with the design on it.