kelroy55
10-29-2015, 01:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx5t5HS0IX4

David
10-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Does it even break 10 mpg?

Filthy
10-29-2015, 02:58 PM
I like it, and appreciate the work that went into it. But if it must be an F Series ford, I would rather throw that blower/same engine mods to a Raptor.

rezman
10-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Nah... That aint a truck...... This is a truck.

Hemmings Find of the Day ? 1956 Ford F700 all-wheel drive | Hemmings Daily (http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015/10/11/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1956-ford-f700-all-wheel-drive/)

MadMonk
10-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice. But, have you priced a new truck lately? It seems like I could get two really nice Mustangs for the price of one F150 Platinum. It's gotten ridiculous!

...and YOU DAMNED KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! :wink:

OKCisOK4me
10-29-2015, 07:16 PM
The Gurkha is Here to Save You From the Apocalypse - Ford-Trucks.com (http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/gurkha-save-apocylapse/)

No, this is a truck...

bradh
10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
I know I would probably roll one in the first few minutes in it, but I would love 15 minutes in a Baja trophy truck

White Peacock
10-30-2015, 08:46 AM
does it even break 10 mpg?

10 gpm.

Bullbear
10-30-2015, 08:52 AM
I am no fun when it comes to cars. watching that video I just kept thing.. WHY?..

kelroy55
10-30-2015, 12:22 PM
I am no fun when it comes to cars. watching that video I just kept thing.. WHY?..

If you have to ask why.......... :)

Mel
10-30-2015, 07:24 PM

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Does it even break 10 mpg?

Generally speaking, forced induction on an engine, when properly tuned, results in better than factory gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it (almost impossible).

My car went from 22 highway to 28 highway (at around 75 mph) after I put a supercharger on it and tuned it. I check mileage with the odometer every single fill up in all my vehicles, and have documented this on three vehicles.

ctchandler
11-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Generally speaking, forced induction on an engine, when properly tuned, results in better than factory gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it (almost impossible).

My car went from 22 highway to 28 highway (at around 75 mph) after I put a supercharger on it and tuned it. I check mileage with the odometer every single fill up in all my vehicles, and have documented this on three vehicles.

Just curious, was it really a "supercharger" or a "turbocharger"? There's a big difference and I'm not sure I have seen any supercharged cars on public roads. I know it's possible and legal, just don't remember any but I know you are an automobile nut (good kind) and it wouldn't surprise me if you had a supercharger. Are you old enough to remember the 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 superstock? It came supercharged from Dearborn, Mi. A man named Bobby Womack ran one at the fairgrounds drag strip and just ate the 1957 Chevrolet's superstock's lunch. The Chevy's came with 3 two barrel carbs and were fast, commonly outrunning everybody except Womack.
C. T.

Filthy
11-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Just curious, was it really a "supercharger" or a "turbocharger"? There's a big difference and I'm not sure I have seen any supercharged cars on public roads.

For the most part, both are very similar in function......as they both force more air into an engine to increase power. However, a turbo uses a turbine and is NOT connected to the crankshaft. A turbo is driven by an engines exhaust gases. for the most part, there two different types of superchargers...centrifical, and roots style. A centrifical supercharger is typically connected to the crankshaft, mounted at the front of an engine, whereas a roots style "blower/supercharger" sets up on top of the intake. A supercharger typically gives you "instant" boost, where's a turbo will need a little time to spool up...so, the higher the RPMs, the higher the power/torque. The advantages and disadvantages are obvious.

Most of the diesel trucks running around town, will utilize a turbocharged engine. And there are actually quite a few cars that are supercharged from the factory these days, that utilize the "roots style" supercharger.

rezman
11-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Gale Banks Engineering has been playing with superchargers and turbos since the 50's and is a serious record holder in the industry.

C.T , Remember the factory supercharged Studebaker Golden Hawks of the late 50's?.

ctchandler
11-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Gale Banks Engineering has been playing with superchargers and turbos since the 50's and is a serious record holder in the industry.

C.T , Remember the factory supercharged Studebaker Golden Hawks of the late 50's?.

Rezman,
Yes, but I had totally forgotten about it till your post.
C. T.

ctchandler
11-06-2015, 09:57 AM
For the most part, both are very similar in function......as they both force more air into an engine to increase power. However, a turbo uses a turbine and is NOT connected to the crankshaft. A turbo is driven by an engines exhaust gases. for the most part, there two different types of superchargers...centrifical, and roots style. A centrifical supercharger is typically connected to the crankshaft, mounted at the front of an engine, whereas a roots style "blower/supercharger" sets up on top of the intake. A supercharger typically gives you "instant" boost, where's a turbo will need a little time to spool up...so, the higher the RPMs, the higher the power/torque. The advantages and disadvantages are obvious.

Most of the diesel trucks running around town, will utilize a turbocharged engine. And there are actually quite a few cars that are supercharged from the factory these days, that utilize the "roots style" supercharger.

Filthy,
Thanks for the more detailed information. There is a fairly big difference in performance with a supercharged or turbocharged engine. I do remember the turbocharged Thunderbirds, but I'm not aware (I am somewhat out of touch with this type of thing in my old age!) of any factory "street" cars with superchargers. I will Google it and maybe if you think of it, post a couple of examples.
C. T.

rezman
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Rezman,
Yes, but I had totally forgotten about it till your post.
C. T.

These were Paxton supercharged IIRC.

rezman
11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
Cords , Auburns and Duesenbergs of the 1930's could be bought supercharged from the factory. I believe Hudson, among others, also did some supercharging back in the 40's.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Filthy,
Thanks for the more detailed information. There is a fairly big difference in performance with a supercharged or turbocharged engine. I do remember the turbocharged Thunderbirds, but I'm not aware (I am somewhat out of touch with this type of thing in my old age!) of any factory "street" cars with superchargers. I will Google it and maybe if you think of it, post a couple of examples.
C. T.

They're pretty common these days. The Mustang Shelby GT500's come with positive displacement superchargers. It basically sits in place of the intake manifold and is spun at very high RPM by the car's serpentine belt.

Chevy was putting a supercharger on the Cobalt SS for a while (they switched to turbo I think). Also, the Cadillac CTS-V has been using a supercharged 6.2 since 2011 or so. The ZR1 Corvette too (ended production in 2013)...The new Corvette Z06 uses a supercharger. Several of the Pontiac GTP's in the last 10-15 years used them. So you've seen supercharged cars on the road...You just didn't know it :)

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are quite a few more. And all the manufacturers are throwing turbos at cars like they were going out of style these days.

Superchargers aren't giant air heaters hanging out of the hood with a big bird catcher on top any more (although, if you wanted an 871 sitting up there, they're still available!). Mine fits just fine under the factory hood and keeps intake air temperatures quite low (thanks to a water-to-air intercooler). The centrifugal-style superchargers sit in front of the engine and look like an alternator and an AC compressor had a baby.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-06-2015, 02:47 PM
This is what my supercharger looks like...The big waffle-textured thing on top :D

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/imawingnut/lsfoo7.jpg

Filthy
11-06-2015, 02:52 PM
I will Google it and maybe if you think of it, post a couple of examples.

Like ohGAWD posted above, you would probably be surprised at how many vehicles are supercharged from the factory. Actually, in the early to mid 90s, GM produced a BUNCH of factory supercharged cars. Pontiac and Buick specifically, sold alot of supercharged 3.8 L V6 cars. Grand Prixs, Regals, and Riveiras were all sold with Supercharged engines as an option. Back in 86' the Buick Grand National was (at that time) the fastest American production car made...and it utilized a turbocharged v6.

Filthy
11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
And this is a centrifical Supercharger-

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/current-events-open-topic/11770d1446847133-now-truck-vortech.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Syclone and Typhoon were turbo'd up V6's too (early 90's). Little all wheel drive trucks were monsters out of the hole. I dated a girl that had one...Just because she had one lol.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure my next build is going to be a centrifugal supercharger setup. Procharger has some slick new stuff coming out.

ctchandler
11-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Cords , Auburns and Duesenbergs of the 1930's could be bought supercharged from the factory. I believe Hudson, among others, also did some supercharging back in the 40's.

Rezman,
I was wondering about the Hudson while I was out today. The Hudson Hornet was a fast vehicle. But I really don't know where my mind was when I forgot the Golden Hawks.
C. T.

ctchandler
11-06-2015, 03:27 PM
They're pretty common these days. The Mustang Shelby GT500's come with positive displacement superchargers. It basically sits in place of the intake manifold and is spun at very high RPM by the car's serpentine belt.

Chevy was putting a supercharger on the Cobalt SS for a while (they switched to turbo I think). Also, the Cadillac CTS-V has been using a supercharged 6.2 since 2011 or so. The ZR1 Corvette too (ended production in 2013)...The new Corvette Z06 uses a supercharger. Several of the Pontiac GTP's in the last 10-15 years used them. So you've seen supercharged cars on the road...You just didn't know it :)

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are quite a few more. And all the manufacturers are throwing turbos at cars like they were going out of style these days.

Superchargers aren't giant air heaters hanging out of the hood with a big bird catcher on top any more (although, if you wanted an 871 sitting up there, they're still available!). Mine fits just fine under the factory hood and keeps intake air temperatures quite low (thanks to a water-to-air intercooler). The centrifugal-style superchargers sit in front of the engine and look like an alternator and an AC compressor had a baby.

Pretty obvious that I'm out of touch with reality. I haven't Googled it yet, but what's the point? I'm beginning to see the light! Thanks,
C. T.

Urbanized
11-06-2015, 03:31 PM
The Ford F150 SVT Lightning was supercharged when it was introduced.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-06-2015, 03:52 PM
The Ford F150 SVT Lightning was supercharged when it was introduced.

The 2nd gen ones were. The first ones from the early 90's were naturally aspirated.

ctchandler
04-23-2016, 11:10 AM
It seems like if I run my mouth too much, it all comes back to haunt me. I never doubted anyone on this thread about superchargers when they brought me up to date, but in the last couple of weeks I have seen several new cars on my MSN home page that had "Superchargers". At least five and that's without looking/searching. I think it's time to give it up to the younger folks. Now, when it comes to the 50's and 60's models, I still feel pretty comfortable throwing in my two cents.
C. T.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-24-2016, 03:26 PM
You don't need to give up anything to the younger folks...They run their mouths MUCH more than you :D