View Full Version : Breakfast Sandwiches - who serves the best?

Paseofreak
10-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I love breakfast sandwiches any time of the day. At times I crave the salty, smoky, cheesy goodness of a Waffle House Bacon, Egg and Cheese Melt on Texas Toast. But..., there must be some other great examples served around the metro. Let's hear about 'em!

Martin
10-27-2015, 11:24 AM
kamp's 1910 does a pretty good job with their breakfast sandwiches... while not strictly a sandwich, my 'go to' is their breakfast burrito. -M

Easy180
10-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Don't eat too many breakfast sandwiches but around 2:30AM a Whataburger Breakfast On A Bun is an awesome choice.

okatty
10-27-2015, 06:24 PM
picasso cafe has a GREAT one on their brunch menu. Have had that on Sunday and its fantastic.

sooner88
10-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Bagel Cafe breakfast sandwich is always good for a something quick before work.. so are Big Truck's breakfast burritos.

Tundra
10-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Rudys bbq , brisket, egg,bacon, cheese, bbq sauce on a tortilla is pretty awesome.

MagzOK
11-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Old School Bagel has excellent bagel sandwiches. If you're okay sitting and eating at a restaurant and not on-the-go (not sure if your intention of question is eating on-the-go or what) but Kitchen 324 has the best open faced sandwich that just might blow your mind. It's called the Open Faced Toast. Well okay, I may be stretching it calling that a sandwich.

jstaylor62
11-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I prefer to make my own. I use the Ciabatta Rolls from Walmart and add whatever meat to egg and cheese.

This one is ham, sausage, bacon, egg and cheese ...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/jstaylor62/Mobile%20Uploads/20150328_071516.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/jstaylor62/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150328_071516.jpg.html)

Paseofreak
11-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Dang! Very nice!

Uptowner
11-01-2015, 03:04 PM

The pump does this brunch menu cheese burger on a bagel with bacon hash browns and a poached egg on top with a mustard hollandaise. I'm told the hash browns are actually smashed and griddled tater tots...Jesus. They also recently switched to the old school bagels from the rise, which I thought was pretty cool of them to spread the love and get bagels made fresh across the alley a few hours ago to boot. If you can finish it you're left with this mix of emotions ranging from euphoria, to catharsis, to guilt. That photo is from their Facebook.

rte66man
11-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Why is everything on a bagel? How about a good croissant?

bradh
11-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Just buy one of these and make your own, best Christmas gift we were ever given

https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/breakfast-sandwich-maker-dual-breakfast-sandwich-maker-25490.html

Paseofreak
11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Whoa! That's cool!

bradh
11-02-2015, 02:01 PM
incredibly easy, we buy the Thomas English muffins and use those.

Jersey Boss
11-02-2015, 02:06 PM
There are no other English Muffins as good.

Paseofreak
11-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Here's something I do at home. Lebanon Bologna, Vermont Farmers Cheddar and two eggs with mayo. The Bologna give it an awesome smoky campfire taste.

FighttheGoodFight
11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Here's something I do at home. Lebanon Bologna, Vermont Farmers Cheddar and two eggs with mayo. The Bologna give it an awesome smoky campfire taste.

My father in law loves Bologna. I'll send this over to him.

But man I don't know what it is but I just can't bologna.

Paseofreak
11-02-2015, 05:20 PM
But man I don't know what it is but I just can't bologna.

Lebanon Bologna is a whole different animal. Go to Sprouts deli. They will give you a taste. It really comes alive when heated. I love it diced in scrambled eggs as well.

baralheia
11-04-2015, 12:57 PM
I had one of the West Bend Egg and Muffin toasters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YNFB3Q) for years... absolutely loved mine. My only gripe was that the teflon wasn't bonded well to the teflon-coated egg pan, so I'd have to buy a new one every so often. But it made some fantastic sandwiches, and didn't take much more counter space than a normal 2-slot toaster. They also make a 4-slot version (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTIYN2) that can do two eggs at once.

Now, as for restaurant breakfast sandwiches... My preference tends to be a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on a Jalepeno Cheddar biscuit from Whataburger. I haven't gotten any breakfast sandwiches from a non-fast-food joint.

Tundra
12-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Man what I wouldn't give for one more Coits maxi steak biscuit sandwich and a root beer......

shawnw
12-22-2015, 03:12 PM
It might not be the overall best in the city, but it's local, and is definitely the best VALUE in the city, breakfast sandwhich wise, and that's Someplace Else Deli. Give it a try if you haven't already. I can't believe how cheap those things are, two bucks if I recall.

okatty
12-22-2015, 04:43 PM
^Love Someplace Else but have never been for anything but lunch. Thanks for the tip!!

Jeepnokc
12-23-2015, 07:45 AM
The Mexican place in the stockyards make a pretty mean breakfast taco.I'm also a big fan of Carl Jr's breakfast sandwiches as I like their made from scratch biscuits in the morning. Unfortunately, they aren't always consistent on keeping them well made and hot and fresh. But, when they are.....yummy

On a side note. over the last couple of years, I have grown to love breakfast hash whether it be corned beef hash, roast beef hash, or brisket hash. I find that very few places actually offer let alone offer it fresh and not from can. Any recommendations on places serving good hash?

Roger S
12-23-2015, 08:08 AM
On a side note. over the last couple of years, I have grown to love breakfast hash whether it be corned beef hash, roast beef hash, or brisket hash. I find that very few places actually offer let alone offer it fresh and not from can. Any recommendations on places serving good hash?

I have not been but this might be a place to begin your search....

https://www.zomato.com/oklahoma-city/the-hash-original-edmond

Paseofreak
12-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Picasso's used to have one on Saturday and Sunday during brunch service. I found it terribly bland until mushrooms, Bell Peppers and onions were added by request.

Tundra
12-24-2015, 09:57 AM
The Mexican place in the stockyards make a pretty mean breakfast taco.I'm also a big fan of Carl Jr's breakfast sandwiches as I like their made from scratch biscuits in the morning. Unfortunately, they aren't always consistent on keeping them well made and hot and fresh. But, when they are.....yummy

Joey's cafe has some pretty good corned beef hash!

Paseofreak
05-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Went all out country for Sunday breakfast for myself and a guest. I had smoked boneless pork loin chops from Buy for Less, about 3/8" thick. Got those going sous vide (40 minutes in a freezer bag with a bit of butter in a pot of water at 143 fegrees F) . Meanwhile I whipped up a batch of Cathead Buttermilk Drop Biscuits and some sausage gravy. When the smoked pork was warm, I breaded them in a knock-off KFC Original breading I keep around and deep fried them and made farm eggs over easy. Assembled with gravy on biscuit bottom, pork chop next, a bit more gravy, sharp white cheddar and finally an egg and the biscuit top.
A bunch of effort, but it hit nearly all my cravings for Southeastern U.S. breakfast I n one fantastic messy breakfast sandwich next to a pile of fried potatoes!

Can't believe I didn't take any photos, but I was pretty busy getting this done and plated.

Martin
05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
^
it's nice to see that somebody else here is playing around with sous vide. i bought a unit early this year and have really enjoyed experimenting with it. -M

White Peacock
07-21-2016, 07:25 AM
I loved the Frisco breakfast sandwich from Hardee's as a kid. Denny's moons over my-hammy is also pretty nice. Nowadays I'm more of an omelette & hash browns guy, but I'm tempted to try the breakfast sandwich offerings at Boom-A-Rang Diner in Bethany (a frequent breakfast stop of ours).

Roger S
07-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Carl's Jr is serving a breakfast sandwich on an Auntie Anne's pretzel bun right now that is pretty tasty..... Only drawback is the sodium content in it is about a weeks recommended allowance.

White Peacock
07-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Carl's Jr is serving a breakfast sandwich on an Auntie Anne's pretzel bun right now that is pretty tasty..... Only drawback is the sodium content in it is about a weeks recommended allowance.

Eh, just drink more water and you'll cancel that out. Sodium is one of my least concerns when eating since I try to drink a gallon of water every day (don't always succeed, but that's the plan).

Roger S
07-21-2016, 08:25 AM
Eh, just drink more water and you'll cancel that out. Sodium is one of my least concerns when eating since I try to drink a gallon of water every day (don't always succeed, but that's the plan).

To paraphrase Chief Brody from the movie Jaws.... You're gonna need a bigger gallon. ;)

White Peacock
07-21-2016, 03:22 PM
To paraphrase Chief Brody from the movie Jaws.... You're gonna need a bigger gallon. ;)

Some meals definitely call for it! haha

zefferoni
07-21-2016, 03:31 PM
If it's still open, my favorite is from the Golden Dragon in FNC. Sausage/egg/cheese bagel/biscuit. Hnng.

OSUMom
07-21-2016, 05:22 PM
If it's still open, my favorite is from the Golden Dragon in FNC. Sausage/egg/cheese bagel/biscuit. Hnng.

I believe it still is, but probably not for long.

Paseofreak
07-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Not throwing any shade on Oklahoma, it has it's own set of good local eats, but everywhere I've lived for any time except for Florida has taken breakfast sandwiches to an art form. Tennessee has Bacon/Egg/Cheese on white toast, every possible permutation of meat/egg/cheese on a perfect drop biscuit, and what amounts to any kind of omelette you want stuffed into steamed pita halves. Michigan doesn't really seem to be that focused on ingredients, but their offerings span an impressive gourmet array like pastrami, fried egg and feta on Rosemary toast. They're invested. West Virginia has a whole chain of restaurants called Tudor's Breakfast World. With that in my head, Okllahoma doesn't seem to put much effort int breakfast on the go.