View Full Version : Enjoy those hotdogs

kelroy55
10-26-2015, 08:03 AM
I love a good chilly cheese dog myself...

Clear Food - The Hot Dog Report (http://www.clearfood.com/food_reports/2015/the_hotdog_report)

Motley
10-26-2015, 08:41 AM
My two favorites are missing from the list: Nathan's natural casing and Dodger Dogs. I like Boar's Head, but they are pricey.

kelroy55
10-26-2015, 09:04 AM
I like Nathan's too but Hebrew is my favorite.

FighttheGoodFight
10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
We usually buy the Hebrew jumbos. I am not a fan of Boar's head.

corwin1968
10-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Vienna hot dogs, as served at Freddy's, are my favorite dogs. We first encountered them at a little hot dog stand in Manitou Springs, CO and they were in the form of a Chicago Dog, which is still my favorite style. Viennas are hard to find and in fact, I'm not sure you can even buy them so my go to dogs are generally Nathan's or Hebrew National. Both are good, easy to find and not too hard on the wallet.

I was surprised to see Oscar Mayer on the list. That's all my parents bought when I was a kid and to me they just taste like salt. The 99 cent mystery hot dogs are better than Oscar Mayer. I will say I haven't tried the particular OM variety mentioned so maybe it's different.

Urbanized
10-26-2015, 10:53 AM
It's not a true Chicago dog if it's not Vienna Beef. Freddy's serves VB, but you can't buy them from a store anywhere in Oklahoma, at least not since the last time I checked the VB website. You can buy them online and have them shipped. Don't buy all of your ingredients from Vienna Beef, though. They will try to sell you everything, and not ALL of their branded ingredients are the most authentic. Here is the best breakdown I have ever found online listing the brands you should seek for a truly authentic experience: How to Make a Chicago-Style Hot Dog | The Paupered Chef (http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/07/how-to-make-a-chicago-style-hot-dog.html)

Motley
10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Does anyone remember the Twin Cronnie? Altus had a drive-in named Clyde's that served Twin Cronnies. It was a hamburger type bun with one side open and contained chili and two small wieners. The last place around that still has them is in Clovis, NM. They are not exactly as I remember the ones at Clyde's but close.

corwin1968
10-26-2015, 11:38 AM
For years, my parents would make their homemade version of a Chicago Dog and it really is the celery salt that makes the dog. Everything else is essential (except the peppers for me) but celery salt really ties it all together.

Boiling down to the bare essentials, I'll say that if I've got a good beef hot dog and a good soft and chewy bun, I can run with just that and be satisfied. Any other ingredients are just icing on the cake.

RadicalModerate
10-26-2015, 11:50 AM
One the amusing sidelines on the Canadian Comedy Classic "Corner Gas" is how the main character's vision of heaven--or his "happy place"--involves chili cheese dogs. I, myself, like one or two or those once in awhile. Still, I've have found that so much grease leeches out of two of the best-tasting brands (Nathan's and Hebrew National) that I just can't bring myself to eat them anymore. Many will scoff at this, but I've found that Oscar Mayer Select Turkey Franks have a great texture and taste and provide a decent hot dog experience. If you don't have time to roast them over the fire, thirty seconds in the microwave followed by a quick charring, using a propane torch, adds to the experience.

baralheia
10-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Personally, I'm all about Schwab's hot dogs. Great stuff, and they're a local company. They're my second favorite hot dogs - second only to Vienna Beef, which is not terribly easy to come by down here, sadly.

ctchandler
10-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Vienna hot dogs, as served at Freddy's, are my favorite dogs. We first encountered them at a little hot dog stand in Manitou Springs, CO and they were in the form of a Chicago Dog, which is still my favorite style. Viennas are hard to find and in fact, I'm not sure you can even buy them so my go to dogs are generally Nathan's or Hebrew National. Both are good, easy to find and not too hard on the wallet.

I was surprised to see Oscar Mayer on the list. That's all my parents bought when I was a kid and to me they just taste like salt. The 99 cent mystery hot dogs are better than Oscar Mayer. I will say I haven't tried the particular OM variety mentioned so maybe it's different.

Corwin,
There was a Vienna restaurant on NW 23rd, just East of Meridian and their food was excellent. Chicago style, New York style, fire fighter style, and they also had Italian sausage and a few other sandwiches. They seemed to do well so I don't know why they closed. They were here about five years.
C. T.

Jersey Boss
10-26-2015, 03:51 PM
There are two requirements for me. All beef and natural casing. Dietz and Watson NY style, sold in the deli area at CREST is where I locate them. They even come attached to each other like the old butcher shop dogs did. BTW, according to the Vienna Beef website, those dogs are only available locally at Freddy's Custard stores.

kevinpate
10-26-2015, 04:00 PM
nah, I'll eat a turkey dog if it's hot, has real cheese, and a decent excess of brown mustard. as for all the other this and thats, a waste of rabbit food.

Urbanized
10-26-2015, 04:21 PM
I certainly eat far more of other types (and brands) of dogs than Chicago/Vienna Beef; I'm only truly snobby about what should be on a dog when it represents itself as a Chicago dog. It's a very specific thing, and when everything is brought together as it is supposed to be, it is a fantastic experience.

Problem is, way too many places try to pass off things without authentic ingredients as a Chicago dog, and many who try them don't get what the big deal is...because they haven't experienced the REAL deal. I didn't get the allure myself until I had some in Chi-town, with real ingredients.

And corwin1968 was right; celery salt is key. Lots of faux Chicago dogs completely skip that step and perpetuate fraud on everyone who buys one.

Mel
10-26-2015, 08:38 PM
The OM Select Angus Beef wiener is pretty good, plus it's the only hotdog that doesn't make my DW's tummy act up.

ctchandler
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm not a hot dog fan, but I did enjoy the Vienna dogs. I have to admit though that I have been eating the Coit's number seven since the late 40's. That's chili and onions for those of you that aren't familiar with Coit's. I miss it.
C. T.

Urbanized
10-27-2015, 04:48 AM
I have some good news for you, C.T.:

Can it be? Coit?s returns in food truck form | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/09/18/can-it-be-coits-returns-in-food-truck-form/)
https://www.facebook.com/Coits-Food-Truck-1636043843342737/
https://mobile.twitter.com/coitsfoodtruck

hoya
10-27-2015, 07:46 AM
What about Bar S? Buncha snobs here.

corwin1968
10-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Corwin,
There was a Vienna restaurant on NW 23rd, just East of Meridian and their food was excellent. Chicago style, New York style, fire fighter style, and they also had Italian sausage and a few other sandwiches. They seemed to do well so I don't know why they closed. They were here about five years.
C. T.

I remember that place and I agree!!! Their onion rings were also fantastic. My parents met in Ponca City back in the 60's when my mom was a carhop and my dad was customer (my mom's sister was also a carhop and my dad's brother was also a customer and the two couples ended up marrying) at Tim's Drive-In. My parents have always talked about how Tim's onion rings were the best they ever had but the place closed when I was too young to remember their food. When I found that place on NW 23rd, I took my parents there telling them the onion rings were good and they were quite shocked when they had to admit they were very good and almost identical to Tim's onion rings. I think buttermilk in the batter is the secrete.

Urbanized
10-29-2015, 07:05 AM
What about Bar S? Buncha snobs here.

I heard Bar S uses guts and buttholes in their hot dogs.

White Peacock
10-29-2015, 07:42 AM
As a sausage junkie myself, I've found lots of cheap, crappy seeming sausages that are actually quite acceptable (maybe even good!). I only do hot dogs on occasion, generally opting for the girthier variants that call themselves smoked/Polish sausages, which I perhaps eat too many of. The best deal I've found anywhere is at Aldi; a pack of 14 Polish or smoked sausages for less than $4. They're spiced well, go great with red beans and rice or fried onions and kraut.

I really wanted to like the hot dogs at The Garage...super long 1/3 pound Nathan's dogs. They taste good, but the way they prepared them there left the casing hard and unpleasant. Perhaps it was just that one time, I don't know, but I'm afraid to give them another go.

The only Chicago dog I've ever had was that sad excuse from Sonic, and it was garbage. Their New York dog is good, but it's kinda hard to f*ck up kraut and brown mustard. Sonic is still the king of footlong chili dogs, that classic Oklahoma source of both joy and regret all wrapped up in foil and served with a peppermint; it always looks like trash when you get it, but the blend of sugars, fats, salts and mystery ingredients all come together to give you enough energy to forge through until the last bit of what's presumed to be chili is being licked off the cardboard trough in which it was served, and the remainder of your day is spent in penance for the poor life choices you've made.

BBatesokc
10-29-2015, 09:15 AM
I get me a good cheap dog on a regular basis at Coney's -N-More at SE 44 and I-35. Actually I get one coney and one polish. Occasionally the fried pickles. And, always a brownie!

zookeeper
10-29-2015, 01:22 PM
I get me a good cheap dog on a regular basis at Coney's -N-More at SE 44 and I-35. Actually I get one coney and one polish. Occasionally the fried pickles. And, always a brownie!

Anybody remember the fried pickles from Bonapartes? Yum. Thanks Brian, I'll get down that way and check them out.

kelroy55
11-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I may have to go try this one

The Texas Rangers Boomstick
Globe Life Park
Arlington Entertainment District

This massive two-foot-long beef hot dog is topped with chili, Rico’s nacho cheese, grilled onions and jalapeņo peppers, and served on a hoagie roll. Take on alone, if you dare. Or share the goodness with some buddies!

White Peacock
11-03-2015, 02:53 PM
I may have to go try this one

The Texas Rangers Boomstick
Globe Life Park
Arlington Entertainment District

This massive two-foot-long beef hot dog is topped with chili, Rico’s nacho cheese, grilled onions and jalapeņo peppers, and served on a hoagie roll. Take on alone, if you dare. Or share the goodness with some buddies!

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20130329-nm_28rangers7_30375096_160544.jpg.ece/BINARY/original/NM_28Rangers7_30375096_160544.JPG

Would.