View Full Version : Off the Hook

Pete
10-14-2015, 03:26 PM
This has been a food truck but they are opening a brick and mortar place at 125 W. Britton on October 27th.

This is the old Starbucks / Vamonos space:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/3710/R208391000001qA.jpg

https://twitter.com/OffTheHookOKC

OkieNate
10-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Replacing a Starbucks with a local eatery! I like it!

Roger S
10-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Replacing a Starbucks with a local eatery! I like it!

It hasn't been a Starbucks in a long time.... Vamonos was there for 2-3 years and I think it's been empty 1 to 1 1/2 years now.

I miss Vamanos... Loved the Korean Burrito... But happy to see someone going in there.

Another food truck, Klemm's Smoke Haus, is opening a brick and mortar in Edmond.

RadicalModerate
12-11-2016, 08:17 AM
We finally managed to give this place a try. Twice before we had attempted to dine there but both times it was closed. We each had a cup of Gumbo and we split a Lobster Melt with seasoned fries. I'll keep this short and to the point: Everything we had was EXCELLENT. The Gumbo was as good as any that I've ever had, the Lobster Melt surpassed my high expectations (set by either Greg Elwell or Dave Cathey) and even the fries were memorable. The amount of Gumbo--in a cup--was so ample that we actually only split half of the sandwich. The place has relatively limited hours, but I strongly suggest that you give it a try if you find yourself I in the area while they are open. You will NOT be disappointed.

Thomas Vu
12-11-2016, 10:17 AM
If anybody has been to Fish City, how does it compare? I've been thinking about trying Fish City.

soonerguru
12-12-2016, 02:48 PM
I love Off the Hook. My only wish was they were open longer. But alas they are people who have lives and don't want to work themselves to death, so I understand.

RadicalModerate
12-16-2016, 03:41 PM
To Thomas Vu: I cannot speak for Fish City, in Edmond, one way nor t'other. What I can say is that I chanced upon Off the Hook--during business hours, this very afternoon--and obtained another cup of excellent gumbo, with a side of chips for texture, delivered to the counter by a real sweetheart. I told her how much I liked the place. She suggested I tell everyone. It's all good. OK?

To SoonerGuru: yup. exactly right. =~)

BBatesokc
12-16-2016, 05:49 PM
I don't really think you can compare the two beyond they are both good restaurants. The menu offering and ambiance are just too different for a meaningful comparison IMO.

The wife and I eat at Fish City regularly on date nights when we want to stay close to home.

That said, when I see Off the Hook's truck or I'm near their B&M, I stop in without hesitation when I'm in the mood for their brand of seafood.

Can't go wrong with either one.

ctchandler
12-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Everything I have heard about Off the Hook is good, but I haven't been there. I have enjoyed Fish City several times. I am not an oyster fan, but they have oyster nachos that are outstanding. It's a fancier place, but not too upscale. I have to go to Off the Hook, I have driven in the area at lunch time and the aroma is a killer! Any place that smells that good has to be a winner.
C. T.

Thomas Vu
12-17-2016, 12:59 AM
I've been to off the hook. I like that you can use social media for a discount. I've been to the food truck and the restaurant, and didn't think there was anything special about it.

Martin
01-26-2017, 06:50 PM
tried this place today and really enjoyed it. had their smothered seafood rice and a piece of fried catfish... both were really fresh and tasty. the place is definitely worth a try.

RadicalModerate
01-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Off The Hook: Just That Good. Their Gumbo is second only to what Der Dutchman used to serve. In fact it is better.

Plutonic Panda
01-27-2017, 12:46 AM
What do you know about Dutchman's? I live by the sea.

bucktalk
02-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Tried this place out last week. I knew it would be small but it's really small. The food was very good although they lost our order for about 25 minutes. However the owners were very apologetic and discounted our food. Good food, nice people...that's a great combination.

ctchandler
07-06-2017, 04:06 PM
I noticed in yesterday's DOK that Off the Hook is going to open another location. Anyone know where?
C. T.

HangryHippo
07-06-2017, 04:39 PM
I noticed in yesterday's DOK that Off the Hook is going to open another location. Anyone know where?
C. T.

I think I read a Greg Elwell article in the Gazette that said it was going to be somewhere near Will Rogers Airport. I don't recall an exact address though.

Pete
07-06-2017, 04:47 PM
If you’re looking for another way to eat Off the Hook’s cuisine, Corey and Loniesha have good news. The restaurant plans to open a location on the south side, close to Will Rogers World Airport in the near future.

http://okgazette.com/2017/02/23/popular-local-seafood-restaurant-plans-second-location/

Martin
07-06-2017, 05:35 PM
that's great news! I've been a couple of times and really like their food.

Roger S
07-07-2017, 07:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they are going in the old Pearl's (Most recently a short lived burger place) on Meridian.... also in other news Elwell is no longer employed by the Gazette.... Don't have any specifics on why they parted ways.

Martin
07-07-2017, 07:15 AM
ok... when thinking 'near the airport', i had the i-44 corridor in mind. meridian makes total sense.

Roger S
07-07-2017, 07:18 AM
ok... when thinking 'near the airport', i had the i-44 corridor in mind. meridian makes total sense.

I think it was Dave Cathey that reported it... They will also be having live music in the new location...... They just recently shot this, now viral I've heard, video over at the Britton location..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1WjHDjruRA

ctchandler
07-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Looks like a tossup for me, eighteen miles to Britton road and seventeen miles to the old Pearl's Cajun Kitchen location. It's a little faster to the new location.
C. T.

TheTravellers
07-07-2017, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure they are going in the old Pearl's (Most recently a short lived burger place) on Meridian.... also in other news Elwell is no longer employed by the Gazette.... Don't have any specifics on why they parted ways.

Bad news for Elwell, but good news for anybody that wanted actual good food criticism/articles (we called him Jean Teasdale)...

Pete
07-07-2017, 04:29 PM
To be fair, for both the Oklahoman and Gazette, their food 'critics' are just cheerleaders in order to attract and retain advertisers.

TheTravellers
07-07-2017, 06:59 PM
To be fair, for both the Oklahoman and Gazette, their food 'critics' are just cheerleaders in order to attract and retain advertisers.

Oh, I know, the Gazette even had a disclaimer running at the end of every food column where the gist was "We don't ever say anything bad about a restaurant we review". And I can kind of handle that if the writing isn't like this - "Golly gee, y'all should really try these empanadas (which are neato little Hot Pocket things that have something inside) because they make my tummy happy".

Back on topic, wondering if Off The Hook's shrimp and grits is really good (looks really good, but ya never know until you take a bite)? Only shrimp and grits (surprisingly, considering how much I love Creole and Cajun food and how many times we've been to New Orleans) I've ever had was at 3Sixty a few weeks ago, and it was wonderful...

Dustin
09-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Yum! Ate here today.

The food is really good. Seasoned well and cooked to perfection. Will def be back.

soonerguru
09-16-2017, 01:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Britton location, but my maiden voyage to the Meridian joint was pretty ho-hum. Service was not up to par and the food quality was not good. Our orders were not delivered together and some items were cold. The holy grail at their Britton store, the catfish, had good flavor but literally no crunch at all. Hopefully they are just working out the kinks and I know they can cook but this project is fairly ambitious. I hope they can get it together soon because that location has not been kind to their predecessors.

Head
04-10-2018, 08:59 AM
I love the Meridian site, but tried the Britton store on Sunday. It was 12:30, and they were out of collard greens and asparagus. Come on folks, you got 3 and a half hours left to go!

BBatesokc
03-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Today's Sweet Deal.....

$50 for $25.

Just bought two!

https://www.sweetdeals.com/oklahoma-city/9001092-off-the-hook-seafood-and-more

loveOKC
03-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Off the Hook will be on Food Network Mar 17th at 8pm for a head to head cook off with another family.

baralheia
03-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Off the Hook will be on Food Network Mar 17th at 8pm for a head to head cook off with another family.

Looks like they'll be on an episode of "Family Food Showdown" (https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/family-food-showdown). Titled "Cuban Restaurant Family Vs. Cajun Seafood Family," Season 1 Episode 8 airs on Sunday, March 17th at 8pm eastern/7pm central. From Food Network:

The Santana family, backed by traditional Cuban recipes, takes on the Harris family of restaurateurs inspired by Grandpa's Cajun cooking. Both teams have parents ready for their children to step up at the family restaurants, but will the children be able to take the heat of the competition? Host Valerie Bertinelli challenges them to make their specialty rice dishes, sandwich duos and Sunday suppers. Judges Kardea Brown and the Voltaggio brothers, Bryan and Michael, decide which family conquers in the kitchen and brings home $10,000.

Sounds like it'll be fun to watch!

sgt. pepper
03-20-2019, 11:55 AM
https://kfor.com/2019/03/19/what-off-the-hook-owners-are-doing-with-10000-after-food-network-show-win/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c9170fe3ed3f00001633725&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1hoA12ArZjJzAjrXFPr5QT-J8SuHBFmN5ix-crM0M1VTppGPnTTDWmZ1A

The Harris family wins!

baralheia
03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
I watched that episode and it was fun to watch both teams cook! Both of them created some amazing looking dishes. The Harris family's quick gumbo from the first round looked fantastic, and that crawfish grilled cheese in round 2 looked out of this world. Apparently that's a sandwich they do serve at their North location, called the "Crazy Crawdaddy". Gonna have to stop by and grab one sometime soon! But yes, that episode is fun and definitely worth a watch! Congrats to the Harris family! :D

GISinOK
03-21-2019, 08:09 AM
I moved to DFW a few months ago but I still crave Off the Hook all the time. Can't beat the Melted Lobster and Seafood Gumbo!

HOT ROD
03-24-2019, 05:41 PM
nothing wrong with many return visits to OKC bringing back that DFW cash :)

TheTravellers
10-18-2021, 02:41 PM
Saw a TV commercial where they want to franchise. Good luck to them, but I don't think their food is that good. Had some of it at the Britton location a few years back, and it was pretty decent, but the crap we had at their south location more recently (a week or so before they closed that location) was just that.

Mballard85
10-18-2021, 03:01 PM
Saw a TV commercial where they want to franchise. Good luck to them, but I don't think their food is that good. Had some of it at the Britton location a few years back, and it was pretty decent, but the crap we had at their south location more recently (a week or so before they closed that location) was just that.

Maybe that is why they closed that location?

Thomas Vu
10-18-2021, 09:32 PM

I had the truck when H & 8th was a thing. Thought the same thing.