View Full Version : 13th and Classen Blvd (NE Corner)

shawnw
10-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Yesterday when driving through the intersection of 13th and Classen Blvd I noticed the building on the NE corner (old Hi-Tech something or other) had fluorescent spray paint markings on it very similar to what I've seen on properties very recently when they were about to be demolished. Anybody know what's going on there?

shawnw
10-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Meant to note there's also that huge empty lot right next to it... so wonder if there's something sizable coming to this corner?

AP
10-09-2015, 01:13 PM
That would be great for that corner. Especially with Catholic Charities across the street. Much needed density and entrance to Midtown.

baralheia
10-09-2015, 03:31 PM
According to the County Assessor, "13TH STREET INVESTMENTS LLC" took control of the building on the corner July 16th of this year, but they've owned the lot to the east since 2007. 13th Street Investments shares a PO box with Midtown Renaissance, so they're most likely one and the same.

I can find no permits or anything in the City's permit system for this property, however, so I have no idea what's going on here. The building was built in 1935 according to assessor records, so I do kind of hope for some kind of adaptive reuse, but the building isn't that big so that may be a tall order.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 03:36 PM
On the North side of the building the stucco is coming off and you can see some of the presumably original brick and paint. I've long thought the building would be much more appealing with the stucco removed and the brick/paint restored. Similarly Neighborhood Lounge/So Fine would be more appealing with the paint removed/brick restored.

shawnw
10-09-2015, 03:37 PM
As I noted though, the "MW" (presumably Midwest Wrecking) is spray painted all over the building. It's coming down I suspect.

baralheia
10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, the stucco can certainly go. Looks maybe like it was applied in the mid-80's? Honestly not terribly appealing.

Pete
10-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Yes, it's owned by Midtown Renaissance.

Just traded messages with them and they said they are demolishing the building to create a clear contiguous site.

Along with the vacant lot to the east, they have just over an acre there. Not sure of their exact plans.

AP
10-12-2015, 06:32 AM
There is a billboard right in the middle of the east lot. Are they going to have to work their plans around that like other developments downtown have had to? Metropolitan and Maywood phase 2 comes to mind.

baralheia
10-13-2015, 12:02 PM
The building on the corner:
http://www.okctalk.com/members/baralheia-albums-13th-classen-blvd-ne-corner-picture11599-img-20151009-172709.jpg
http://www.okctalk.com/members/baralheia-albums-13th-classen-blvd-ne-corner-picture11605-img-20151009-172933.jpg

You can see the painted advertising on the North side of the building peeking through the stucco that shawnw mentioned earlier. Because I can't find an easy way to add them all at once, here's the album of all my pictures of this property: http://www.okctalk.com/members/baralheia-albums-13th-classen-blvd-ne-corner.html

Pete
10-13-2015, 12:07 PM
"M W" = Midwest Wrecking.

The mark of death.

shawnw
10-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Right, that's what I figured when I saw it and why I posted.

Pete
10-13-2015, 12:10 PM
They have to submit an application to have that building demo-ed and that hasn't happened yet.

Not likely to be approved unless they also reveal what they plan to replace it with.

MidtownR was acutally denied (gasp!) the right to demo a building in Midtown a few years ago because they didn't have immediate plans to develop. As far as I can remember, it's the one and only demolition denial by the DDRC.

shawnw
10-13-2015, 12:16 PM
I'm eager to see what's going here as long as it's not an OnCue.

Pete
10-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Won't be an OnCue -- not nearly big enough and not MidtownR's style.

Perhaps another little retail center like what they are doing with the old Meg Guess Space.

shawnw
10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
That would be nice.

Buffalo Bill
10-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Won't be an OnCue -- not nearly big enough and not MidtownR's style.

And not allowed by zoning. The allowable uses here are fairly limited. From Table 7200.3 of the DTD1 zoning:
Administrative & Professional Offices
Automotive: Parking Lots, as a Principal Use
Community Recreation: Restricted
Congregate Care Housing & Convalescent Homes
Convenience Sales & Personal Services
Cultural Exhibits
Dwelling Units and Mixed Use
Live/Work Units
Low Impact Institutional: Neighborhood-Related
Low Impact Institutional: Residential-Oriented
Multiple-Family Residential
Single-Family Residential
Three- and Four-Family Residential
Two-Family Residential

Additionally, any proposal here would need approval of the DDRC and would be limited to 2 stories or 35 feet In height.

Urbanized
10-13-2015, 07:34 PM
The outside of that building is/was actually pretty interesting, including the street sides. It was covered over either in the nineties or perhaps the early aughts, so pretty recently. And that's not true plaster; its EIFS with a thick plaster coat. Would be easy to pull off.

I'm pretty consistent on stuff like this. I have no problem with demolition if it is a provable higher and better use, with financing in place. But I HATE spec demolitions. If there is no specific plan I would like to see them retain the building until there are, with consideration given to renovation/restoration as a part of a larger development, in the interest of sense of place.

Would like to see photos of the building before it was covered over, if they exist.

Pete
11-23-2015, 09:45 AM
REHCO has formally applied for demolition to the DDRC.

Pete
12-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Goner:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/13classen122015.jpg

Bullbear
12-22-2015, 07:52 AM
I drove by while they were in process.. evidently it had a basement that was full of water and they were having to pump that nasty water into the street.. so we still don't know what the plan is here?