View Full Version : A brief rant

ChrisHayes
10-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Am I the only one who's sick of hearing Rick's Auto Sales commercials on the radio? Between his obnoxious voice, how stupid they are, and how many he makes, it's borderline maddening. He must spend all his money making a new commercial every week. End of rant.

ctchandler
10-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Am I the only one who's sick of hearing Rick's Auto Sales commercials on the radio? Between his obnoxious voice, how stupid they are, and how many he makes, it's borderline maddening. He must spend all his money making a new commercial every week. End of rant.

Chris,
I'm with you. But you have to understand that at one time, the most obnoxious commercials were the most effective. The whole point is to get you to remember the name of the product/business. You have done just that. I had to look up Rick's Auto Sales to see if it was the one I had heard because I couldn't remember his name, so it didn't work for me. I did remember that it was in Del City. So, when are you going to Rick's to buy a car?
C. T.

ChrisHayes
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
LOL, no used car for me. I bought a 2015 Nissan last year.

jerrywall
10-04-2015, 10:43 AM
With my comic shop I had a pretty annoying commercial. It was effective though....

https://youtu.be/a7ZWD75p2MI

I got complaints but it was effective. Ran it late at night too so was worse. I have no high ground here..

ChrisHayes
10-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Yeah, that alert tone would get people's attention!

Achilleslastand
10-04-2015, 10:45 AM
Rick's has nothing on Lynn Hickey............

ChrisHayes
10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Trying to think of which one that is

ctchandler
10-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Rick's has nothing on Lynn Hickey............

ALS,
How about Tom Padgham, or even Ted Merrill Chevrolet?
C. T.

Achilleslastand
10-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Trying to think of which one that is

Who else was cool enough to have Evel Knievel as well as a rocket propelled grenade all rolled up into one commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCSGFo9Hy8

His carlot, as well as some of their heavy handed selling tactics were legendary.

ctchandler
10-04-2015, 11:40 AM
With my comic shop I had a pretty annoying commercial. It was effective though....

https://youtu.be/a7ZWD75p2MI

I got complaints but it was effective. Ran it late at night too so was worse. I have no high ground here..

JerryWall,
There was a toothpaste commercial in the 60's and they fired a machine gun at the cockpit cover of a jet to demonstrate how much protection you would get if you used their toothpaste. The bullets ricochet'd off the cover. It was really irritating but rated the most effective commercial of the year.
C. T.

Achilleslastand
10-04-2015, 11:41 AM
ALS,
How about Tom Padgham, or even Ted Merrill Chevrolet?
C. T.

I remember Padgham but Merrill doesn't ring a bell, where were they located?

BlackmoreRulz
10-04-2015, 11:52 AM
It was Alan Merrell Chevrolet in Yukon America, who can forget "thorthure thime again" ;)

on 39th expwy before you got to the Yukon city limits.

ctchandler
10-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I remember Padgham but Merrill doesn't ring a bell, where were they located?

He was in Yukon. His name is not Ted Merrill, it's Alan Merrell. His son ran for congress but didn't win. Alan had a slight lisp and seemed to spit a little on his tv commercials. He always needed used car trade-ins to sell to in the Mexican market. He finished his commercial with "Good night and God bless you.".
C. T.

mkjeeves
10-04-2015, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n5_l7JcORA

Thank dog we have DVRs these days.

Jim Kyle
10-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Rick's has nothing on Lynn Hickey............Who in turn didn't come close to Alan Merrill with his lisping Henry Kissinger accent!

LATER: I see I'm not alone in remembering the Mexican Market!

None of our local talent, though, ever came at all close to the commercials that ran in L.A. during the early 60s!!! I still remember Mad Man Muntz...

mkjeeves
10-04-2015, 08:35 PM
If I recall, he did ads for Super Sports and Imports after he retired from his Yukon dealership. The S's were quite a mouthful for him. I never thought of him as being annoying though. There was something to the Mexican market I guess. I sold a Nissan truck to my Hispanic lawn guy who did buy cars and send them to Mexico.

Here's another pair from back in the day, Gloria and her husband at Trust House Jewelers (forgot his name.) This whole video is kind of interesting.
https://youtu.be/A0rOyU8puRs?t=4m31s

rezman
10-05-2015, 05:34 AM
Who can forget Alan Merrill?. Around 9:00pm he would come on with " Please don't go to the kitchen and make a sandwich, please, listen to what I have to say". And end with... "Alan Merrill Chevrolet, Route thixty thix in Yukon ... good night and God bleth".

One dealer that is making the top of the list for me is David Stanley.

positano
10-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Chris,
I'm with you. But you have to understand that at one time, the most obnoxious commercials were the most effective.

Two words: Linda Soundtrack.

ctchandler
10-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Here's another pair from back in the day, Gloria and her husband at Trust House Jewelers (forgot his name.) This whole video is kind of interesting.
https://youtu.be/A0rOyU8puRs?t=4m31s

Mkjeeves,
Mr. Berkey drove a Rolls Royce and Gloria drove an Excalibur (I think that's the name), and they both had vanity tags, his said GLORIB and hers said OHMRB.
C. T.

traxx
10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
If I had a voice as bad as Rick's, I'd hire a voice to do my commercials. Do you really want the entire metro to know you're a grown business man who hasn't gone through puberty yet?

gopokes88
10-05-2015, 12:59 PM
No, but now that you mention it I probably will be. Lol

kevinpate
10-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Other opinions may differ from mine, but for me, David Stanley ads are best viewed as fast forward, no sound, moments.

ChrisHayes
10-05-2015, 01:30 PM
It must be a prerequisite that to do a car lot commercial on the radio that you have an annoying or obnoxious voice.

Tritone
10-05-2015, 05:44 PM
I bought my first (used) car from Alan Merrill.

We've mentioned Linda Soundtrak (whose name instantly came to mind), Alan Merrill, but what about Oklahoma Discount Furniture. NOW!

Mel
10-05-2015, 05:54 PM
I bought my first component stereo form Linda. Small and not that loud in person. Remember Alan Merrill's connection to the " Mexican Market"?

ctchandler
10-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Mel,
I received one of those emails that get passed around, and I thought of you. "I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do"
C. T.

MadMonk
10-05-2015, 10:11 PM
I call them my "change the channel cue". :wink:

MadMonk
10-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Mkjeeves,
Mr. Berkey drove a Rolls Royce and Gloria drove an Excalibur (I think that's the name), and they both had vanity tags, his said GLORIB and hers said OHMRB.
C. T.
They used to come in to the Safeway on 63rd and MacArthur where I worked bagging groceries. We'd all try to be the ones to bag their groceries because they tipped well! Nice people too. I always thought it was odd that they'd usually take separate cars to go shopping though.

Jim Kyle
10-06-2015, 10:30 PM
I bought my first (used) car from Alan Merrill.

We've mentioned Linda Soundtrak (whose name instantly came to mind), Alan Merrill, but what about Oklahoma Discount Furniture. NOW!That reminded me of the Marquis Furniture ads -- could have been the same guy. I really prefer those of Brown Furniture in Shawnee, though. He reminds me of "Droopy" from the old movie cartoon days...

ChrisHayes
10-07-2015, 04:45 PM
I call them my "change the channel cue". :wink:

That's what I do as soon as I hear that whiney voice, or more recently scream of his