View Full Version : South Park- The city part of town

gopokes88
10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Sound familiar?

The City Part of Town - Full Episode - Season 19 - Ep 03 | South Park Studios (http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s19e03-the-city-part-of-town#source=2b6c5ab4-d717-4e84-9143-918793a3b636:63a32034-1ea6-492d-b95b-9433e3f62f8d&position=1&sort=airdate)

TU 'cane
10-01-2015, 01:41 PM
I was laughing quite a bit during all of the narrations for the new trendy spots of town.
Funny thing about it, was that they nailed it. And I'm pretty sure this episode was a major dig at the hipsters and people who are flocking to the "new" parts of town with "character." An angle we don't ever really see.

#Sodosopa

gopokes88
10-01-2015, 02:53 PM
I was laughing quite a bit during all of the narrations for the new trendy spots of town.
Funny thing about it, was that they nailed it. And I'm pretty sure this episode was a major dig at the hipsters and people who are flocking to the "new" parts of town with "character." An angle we don't ever really see.

#Sodosopa

The constant need for a whole foods to validate the city was hilarious, and soooooooooooooooo true.

TU 'cane
10-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Agreed.

The child labor force fighting the adults was a good part too. At the end of the day, Whole Foods didn't even care, it was all a facade.

Urbanized
10-01-2015, 05:20 PM
That was for real the first episode of South Park that I have ever watched in full. Not a fan. But that episode was admittedly a pretty solid lampooning.

zookeeper
10-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Same with me. I've never seen a single episode until today. And I agree with Urbanized, it was pretty spot-on.

The other thing that fascinates me about the "Whole Foods" mindset, is that as soon as we have whatever fill-in-the-blank that's never been here before - many just forget about it and start obsessing on another "cool" place that's not here. Rinse and repeat.

gopokes88
10-01-2015, 07:05 PM
That was for real the first episode of South Park that I have ever watched in full. Not a fan. But that episode was admittedly a pretty solid lampooning.

That's kinda their thing. They will take down anyone and everyone. They had a cast member who was all about it for years and years. Then became a scientiologist, and suddenly he was pretty upset they told him you gotta get over it or be gone. It's either all up for ridicule or none. They killed his character off.

The Obama election ('08) episode was one of the most accurate and hilarious 20 minutes I've ever seen.

Bunty
10-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Same with me. I've never seen a single episode until today. And I agree with Urbanized, it was pretty spot-on.

You've missed so much. I didn't know about South Park until around 1998 when a guy from work brought in a video of South Park he recorded on his VCR. He played it on the VCR in the break room. All of us had never been so embarrassed and laughed so hard at the same time.

Ginkasa
10-01-2015, 11:50 PM

The other thing that fascinates me about the "Whole Foods" mindset, is that as soon as we have whatever fill-in-the-blank that's never been here before - many just forget about it and start obsessing on another "cool" place that's not here. Rinse and repeat.

This is really odd. I've never watched South Park either, but I was in a hotel room with nothing to do and this was on. The concept grabbed me with how true and topical it was. There must have been some planet alignment or something that night.

Urbanized
10-02-2015, 07:30 AM
I have a longstanding personal grudge against South Park that has prevented me from watching, a rift that will likely never be healed.

traxx
10-02-2015, 09:28 AM
as soon as we have whatever fill-in-the-blank that's never been here before - many just forget about it and start obsessing on another "cool" place that's not here. Rinse and repeat.

This very thing happened here with Dave & Busters.

Urbanized
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
And Whole Foods. And Cheesecake Factory. and Five Guys. And PF Chang's. And Anthropologie. And West Elm. And...[fill in the blank]...

ctchandler
10-02-2015, 09:40 AM
I have a longstanding personal grudge against South Park that has prevented me from watching, a rift that will likely never be healed.

Urbanized,
I don't have a grudge, but somebody turned it on at my place and what I saw just turned me off totally. And, I don't care for animated shows/cartoons of any kind.
C. T.

Mel
10-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Plenty of funny and rue comments on this thread. It's not for everyone for sure. I had not seen this particular epi. So true it hurt. Gentrification in a nutshell. Long live Kenny!

White Peacock
10-03-2015, 07:13 AM
And Whole Foods. And Cheesecake Factory. and Five Guys. And PF Chang's. And Anthropologie. And West Elm. And...[fill in the blank]...

The ever-moving goalpost of self-acceptability. Most of them are interval milestones, but the big one was Whole Foods, and once we got it, we still found ourselves feeling minor league. So now we need a Costco; Costco will be the one that changes everything. We have a collective body dysmorphic disorder...no matter how cool things get, we still see super uncool in the mirror.

This South Park episode looked like it could have easily been a dig on OKC, but nearly every city has the same kind of complexes.

And all you folks that don't watch South Park: you're really doing yourself an injustice.

ctchandler
10-03-2015, 10:20 AM
And all you folks that don't watch South Park: you're really doing yourself an injustice.

WP,
I wasn't going to say anymore after my post, but this caught my eye. I don't watch certain things because I don't want to, why am I doing myself an "injustice". I don't watch much but what I watch is purely for my interest/entertainment, animated shows and cartoons don't interest/entertain me.
C. T.

White Peacock
10-03-2015, 11:20 AM
WP,
I wasn't going to say anymore after my post, but this caught my eye. I don't watch certain things because I don't want to, why am I doing myself an "injustice". I don't watch much but what I watch is purely for my interest/entertainment, animated shows and cartoons don't interest/entertain me.
C. T.

I'm not sure why you apparently felt singled out, but it wasn't my intention to dictate, nor criticize, what you watch. Several people aside from you said they don't watch the show, so it was a general public announcement. I thought it was clear that it was my way of saying you're missing a great deal of solid material. Anything that bothers you -- there's an episode about it. They lampoon things you like as well as things you dislike. Nothing is sacred, and everything gets a serious lambasting eventually.

Watch it or don't watch it, I'm not actually invested in it.

ctchandler
10-03-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure why you apparently felt singled out, but it wasn't my intention to dictate, nor criticize, what you watch.
Watch it or don't watch it, I'm not actually invested in it.

WP,
I didn't feel singled out, but I was curious about the comment. After all, you did say "all you folks", and I'm a "you folk", so I had to ask the question. Don't take anything I post to seriously, I enjoy the conversations/posts, you had an opinion as did I, so I replied.
C. T.

White Peacock
10-03-2015, 03:32 PM
WP,
I didn't feel singled out, but I was curious about the comment. After all, you did say "all you folks", and I'm a "you folk", so I had to ask the question. Don't take anything I post to seriously, I enjoy the conversations/posts, you had an opinion as did I, so I replied.
C. T.

Fair enough!

Really though, seek out the South Park episode that tells the story of how the Mormon faith came to be. It's an epic saga.

RadicalModerate
10-03-2015, 10:49 PM
The Ultimate Obscure Reference On Topic: "I'd kick in my 'tree-fitty' . . . but the goldang Loch Ness Monster already done 'borrowed' it . . . not to mention that dollar she gave it already. I think it was a succubus version of the Loch Ness Monster . . . yet . . . Hey, Chef! . . . Get over here, Son . . . Inquiring minds want to know."

RadicalModerate
10-03-2015, 10:50 PM
South Park? Never heard of it.

For the There Are No New Thoughts, We Are All Compilers file:
"South Park" The Succubus (TV Episode 1999) - Quotes - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0705966/quotes)