View Full Version : WWYD: Jimmy's Round-up Cafe tells couple they can't dine with homeless man....

BBatesokc
09-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Saw this on KFOR last night....

“It was very disappointing,” Metro family upset after homeless man kicked out of restaurant -- LINK (http://kfor.com/2015/09/18/it-was-very-disappointing-metro-family-upset-after-homeless-man-kicked-out-of-restaurant/)

What would you do?

---
Personally, Id need to know more about this. Has the homeless guy been previously told not to be on the property, is his appearance/hygiene to the point it would be off-putting to other reasonable patrons, etc.

Some homeless people I see simply look like someone who's been working outside all day, while others would make me lose my appetite while dining.

Additionally, if he was a frequent loiterer and been told to stay away, then allowing him to stay would simply encourage his behavior.

However, if he simply looked a bit disheveled and wasn't causing a scene, I don't see the problem in letting a patron buy him a meal.

Its difficult for me to have an opinion one way or the other.

I do have to say though, the owner's official reaction after the fact gets one big eye-roll from me.

I also love all the 'upstanding Christians' who are ruthlessly attacking the business's owner - while I doubt any of their spare bedrooms or empty chairs around their dinning room tables are doubling as homeless accommodations.

More selective outrage if you ask me.

MagzOK
09-19-2015, 11:42 AM
My opinion is that I've always maintained the thought that a business can refuse service to anybody. I remember growing up seeing these signs in every business. This story doesn't bother me. If the folks that got kicked out don't wanna go back then they can chose to not go back.

Tritone
09-20-2015, 06:42 PM
I still see the signs in businesses. We must remember that in today's world anyone does not always mean anyone.

kelroy55
09-21-2015, 09:00 AM
I don't know the whole story but I might have ordered a take out order for the person so at least he could eat.

jerrywall
09-21-2015, 09:23 AM
It's hard to know without knowing all the details. That being said, I had a business at 59th and Western for a decade (so a block away from Jimmy's)... The homeless and panhandlers could get super aggressive and relentless. It wasn't uncommon for them to come into my shop drunk, and belligerent. They would yell at people who wouldn't give them anything, and harass folks in the parking lot. It wouldn't surprise me if they've had problem with this specific person before.

Urbanized
09-21-2015, 09:33 AM
^^^^^^^
Exactly. There aren't enough details in this story from which to form a reasonable opinion. That said, if the business owner had a history with this person it would have been a good idea to communicate this in the interview, in which case the reporter would have a journalistic obligation to include this information in the story. In fact, beyond it being a good idea it was a TERRIBLE idea for the business owner to go on camera WITHOUT communicating the specific issue, and reprehensible if he did that and the reporter then ran the story WITHOUT that tidbit. That said, neither would be shocking. Unless you've dealt regularly with the media you really can't appreciate how many stories (especially on TV) are only half-stories, or worse.

rezman
09-21-2015, 11:28 AM
The lead off of the story is misleading by saying the man was " Kicked out for being homeless" , when later it is mentioned that other customers had complained about the man. When he came back in with the other people, he was asked to leave. Sounds pretty simple to me..

Looks to me like " the family" decided to make waves by calling KFOR and creating a story where there wasn't one.

Mel
09-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Not enough details and too much of an instant internet outrage smell to it. Pass.

kevinpate
09-21-2015, 08:16 PM
I know no details. My impression of the chap interviewed was more of a " nope, this is how it starts. If they do this, in a week I'll have a line of hopeful invitees2be at the gate and that's not my business model and might chase off my regulars.

The place strikes me as being a place with, and perhaps rather dependent on, a lot of regulars.

foodiefan
09-22-2015, 04:56 PM
. . . pretty good explanation and apology on their FB page.

Martin
09-22-2015, 06:36 PM
i'll go ahead and quote it:

With humility I post this:
It was good of Chris Smith to come to my cafe on Saturday, once I contacted him to discuss the situation that happened on Thursday about the the homeless man. It was a productive hour conversation. First I want to admit, I apologized to him, and I want to apologize to anyone esle that was offended by the situation. As I explained to Chris in our conversation, I was completely wrong in not comunicating with him and his family completely about prior s...ituations with this man. It is unfortunate that he is homeless and wanted a meal that night, but what I did not make him aware of is that a couple of nights prior, the man came in and intruded my wait staff, he made them very nervous, and my cooks had to ask him to leave. This same homeless man has been a problem with offending customers, and making them uncomfortable as well. Again, with regret, I wish I would've explained this to Chris and his family. We could've came to a better conclusion; I hope we all understand that if your daughter, granddaughter, or friend worked here that you would expect me to offer them a working environment where they feel safe. We all as human beings want to help the poor and the needy when we can. It is easy when one comes under attack of not caring for the poor , to self defend themselves. I admit and apologize, it was boastful and prideful for me to say the things I do for the poor and the needy as God directs me. Those things are to be kept private, and I will learn from this experience. I do thank God for his mercy and grace, as with I, he loves all of us. With humility , I will handle things better in the future to continue to move forward. My hope is everyone senses my senserity and that I take full responsibility that I did not handle this in a Christ like manner. Again, sometimes in life we make mistakes, and the only way that can be a bad thing is if we do not allow that to create a more caring person out of them.

Best regards,
Jimmy Collins.