View Full Version : Special places to eat

traxx
09-16-2015, 09:06 AM
My sister is wanting to take my nephew to a special place for dinner for his 13th birthday. She was wanting to go to the George but I warned her that the George has had problems and they might not have a good experience there. What other places like that are there that would be a good place to go? Has the George rectified their problems yet? Broadway 10 looks like a cool place but I've heard mixed reviews from you guys on the board.

Pete
09-16-2015, 09:22 AM
He would get a kick out of the view at Vast.

What about Brickopolis where he could also play video games, mini golf, etc.?

traxx
09-16-2015, 09:40 AM
His mom wants to take him somewhere nice. I've heard from several people that you go to Vast for the view and not the food or atmosphere. Don't know how true that is, but I've heard it from several.

Pete
09-16-2015, 10:39 AM
I think the food at Vast has greatly improved with the new chef and management.

Another good option would be Red Rock Canyon. Very nice place, excellent food and beautiful view of Lake Hefner.

And as far as The George, it really is a stunning space and worth going for that alone.

traxx
09-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info, Pete.

MagzOK
09-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Signature Grill, Edmond.

TheTravellers
09-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Ludivine and Red Prime have been our go-to places for a nice dinner (and Saii when we're in the mood for fishy stuff), not sure how a 13-year-old boy would take to them, though...

ljbab728
09-16-2015, 01:33 PM
You might consider this with a spectacular view of the Myriad Gardens while you eat.

Park House | Kitchen ? Dining Room ? Patio (http://parkhouseokc.com/)

Vito
09-16-2015, 01:39 PM
I've eaten at the George several times in the last few weeks, because I just bought a condo at Founders Tower and the George is obviously very convenient. My experiences have been good. Not perfect, but good. I wouldn't write off the George -- or any restaurant -- because of a few negative comments on a message board.

loveOKC
09-16-2015, 01:41 PM
^^ +1

Thomas Vu
09-16-2015, 01:44 PM
not sure how a 13-year-old boy would take to them, though...

That's my struggle to make a sound suggestion.

CCOKC
09-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I really like Paseo Grill, Cheevers and Red Prime for special occasions. My grandmother used to take me to a "fancy restaurant" when I was a child in the 70's and '80's. Back then our choices were quite limited but the Chandelle was one of them which is of course where the George is now. I loved the view from up there whether we were rotating or not. Plus, she let me get anything I wanted to eat. So of course I got lobster, every time.

poe
09-16-2015, 06:14 PM
I went to Vast for my birthday while I was in OKC in June. I thought the food was great, service was spectacular, and the view was obviously unparalleled.

Jeepnokc
09-16-2015, 07:36 PM
what about the new Haunted House?

Teo9969
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Hands down the best food you will find at the moment is at Signature Grill in north Edmond.

If Signature is not going to happen, I'd consider the following:

Red PrimeSteak or Ranch Steakhouse if you're going to do steak.
Ludivine if you want to have a more adventurous meal.
Cheever's if you want something cozy and chic.
Metro Wine Bar & Bistro if you want something cozy and quaint.

I'm also a big fan of Guernsey Park and The Drake, but if I were you, I'd couple those two with Ludivine, throw them out of the list, and go to either Red, Ranch, Cheever's, or Metro. All 4 are OKC dining stalwarts that every citizen should have in their rotation, especially the latter 3 which have all been around since the turn of the millennium (Cheever's might be just past that turn). And if *you* haven't been to all 3 of those, go to one you haven't been to.

Urbanized
09-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Go to Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, and then if he WANTS to do stuff like games and mini-golf afterward, Brickopolis is only 50 feet away. Best of both worlds.

kevinpate
09-18-2015, 04:40 AM
A. Has she asked the lad if there is somewhere he might like to go?

B. What are some of his interests?

Clue in on the lad, and the meal can take care of itself, and it may not be white linen time at all.

A lad who is deep into art and/or history might enjoy a lunch rather than dinner at Persimmon Hill followed by a walk around the Cowboy Hall of Fame
(I know, I know, it has a fancier name now and has for years. Get a six shooter outta an exhibit and shoot me if you must)
Or the eatery at the downtown Museum.
Or lunch/dinner at Jamil's on Lincoln (dang decent steak in my opinion and interesting art.)

A lad who thrives on airplanes might enjoy a breakfast or dinner at Ozzie's diner in Norman at Max Westheimer airport, or another nearby airport with decent grub. Ozzie's is rather awesome though, day or evening.

Is there still a corvette or other car museum at Clinton? It's really not a hard drive and there's bound to be an interesting place or three to eat between here and there.

Does he like the great outdoors? A trip to Mt. Scott followed by some Bison watching and then chowing down at Meer's might be very memorable.

But if it is to be a button down dinner, Vast, George do have great views to go around with the dressed up dinner.

positano
09-18-2015, 05:49 AM
Count me as a Signature lover, but kids seem to love Musashi's. Not one of my favorites, but young folks love the production.

Jersey Boss
09-18-2015, 01:08 PM
A. Has she asked the lad if there is somewhere he might like to go?

B. What are some of his interests?

Clue in on the lad, and the meal can take care of itself, and it may not be white linen time at all.

A lad who is deep into art and/or history might enjoy a lunch rather than dinner at Persimmon Hill followed by a walk around the Cowboy Hall of Fame
(I know, I know, it has a fancier name now and has for years. Get a six shooter outta an exhibit and shoot me if you must)
Or the eatery at the downtown Museum.
Or lunch/dinner at Jamil's on Lincoln (dang decent steak in my opinion and interesting art.)

A lad who thrives on airplanes might enjoy a breakfast or dinner at Ozzie's diner in Norman at Max Westheimer airport, or another nearby airport with decent grub. Ozzie's is rather awesome though, day or evening.

Is there still a corvette or other car museum at Clinton? It's really not a hard drive and there's bound to be an interesting place or three to eat between here and there.

Does he like the great outdoors? A trip to Mt. Scott followed by some Bison watching and then chowing down at Meer's might be very memorable.

But if it is to be a button down dinner, Vast, George do have great views to go around with the dressed up dinner.

"This". I can't imagine that when I was 13 I would have an adult tell me what a special dinner should be.

turnpup
09-18-2015, 02:16 PM
At 13 I would've called Molly Murphy's a "special dinner".

ljbab728
09-18-2015, 09:45 PM
At 13 I would've called Molly Murphy's a "special dinner".

You're right. My kids always loved it there.

Bunty
09-21-2015, 07:27 PM
What was good to eat at Molly Murphy's? The food on the menu must have kept people coming back besides the weird service.

kevinpate
09-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Nope, at least at the Tulsa Molly's, the food was acceptable, but not rave worthy. It really was the silly stupidity of it all.

ctchandler
09-21-2015, 09:13 PM
What was good to eat at Molly Murphy's? The food on the menu must have kept people coming back besides the weird service.

Bunty,
Nothing! It was a notch above Mackie McNear's. And of course, you didn't have to go get your own food. I think top sirloin was about the best steak they offered. I could be wrong, but it wasn't anything to write home about. I'm not thrilled about a place where the wait staff sees me going to the men's room and pointing and yelling that I have to go pee. I'm probably a little rough comparing them to Mackie's, they were much nicer than that.
C. T.

Jersey Boss
09-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Nope, at least at the Tulsa Molly's, the food was acceptable, but not rave worthy. It really was the silly stupidity of it all.

But the XKE they had the salad bar in was pretty cool.

turnpup
09-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Yeah, Bunty, that was pretty much my point. As a kid, I had no consideration whatsoever about the quality of the food. For me, it was about this "cool" restaurant way up in OKC (I was from a small town in S. OK) that some of my friends went to on special occasions. I laugh now thinking about how awful it must've been for my parents to sit through all the antics, just to appease me and a couple of buddies. Then again, maybe they liked it too.

ctchandler
09-22-2015, 10:17 AM
But the XKE they had the salad bar in was pretty cool.

Jersey Boss,
You know, I think a restaurant in Woodward might have purchased that XKE. I'm not kidding, driving from Colorado to Dodge City, then down into Oklahoma, I stopped at a fairly good barbecue place and there was a red Jaguar XKE salad bar. Now, I did just turn 72, so my mind might be playing tricks on me.
C. T.