View Full Version : Apple Media Event 09-09-15

FighttheGoodFight
09-09-2015, 01:26 PM
New iPad Pro

Starts at $799 for 32gb model
12.9 inch screen
10 hour battery life
New touch screen
Touch keyboard ($199) Looks a bit familiar....
Apple Pencil ($99)
Launches November

New Apple TV

Starts at $149
32gb storage
New remote with touch screen -- controls TVs -- charges with iPhone charger
New tvOS with App Store
Some apps starting out are HBO, MLB, Netflix, Hulu
Deep Siri integration -- Some really cool features here, I would check it out.
Comes out in October

New iPhone 6S and 6S Plus

Same price as the old ones $199 and $299
New touch screen with feedback -- again check this out some neat stuff.
New rose gold color option
Look exactly like iPhone 6 otherwise
New A9 chip
New Touch ID Sensor
Better front and back camera. Front camera has flash with it.
Can buy from Apple now. $32 a month, comes unlocked, can upgrade every year, has AppleCare+. -- Bit pricey.

Pete
09-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Apple TV is the thing that interests me the most.

There are so many cable-cutting streaming options now that it's a confusing pack. I can even stream all those applications from my TiVo unit.

But none of them have really distinguished themselves. With Apple's flair for great user interfaces, this should be right up their street and I actually think the marketplace would benefit from them getting a bigger share and thus putting more time and effort into product development.

This is what Apple does best: Take an emerging technology class and make it sharp, user-friendly and ubiquitous.

Thomas Vu
09-09-2015, 02:57 PM
I wonder how well received/intuitive force touch/3d touch will be. I like the sound of glass on the remote, especially if it feels as nice as glass trackpads.

FighttheGoodFight
09-09-2015, 03:03 PM
I wonder how well received/intuitive force touch/3d touch will be. I like the sound of glass on the remote, especially if it feels as nice as glass trackpads.

I also want to feel the remote. If it is like any of the Apple trackpads it will be really nice quality. One thing Apple does right is trackpads

Martin
09-09-2015, 03:04 PM
the ipad pro looks pretty cool... but i'd be more impressed if it ran mac os. -M

Thomas Vu
09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
I also want to feel the remote. If it is like any of the Apple trackpads it will be really nice quality. One thing Apple does right is trackpads

Yes. Very much so. I've only felt one better and that was the Pixel

the ipad pro looks pretty cool... but i'd be more impressed if it ran mac os. -M

I've thought about this and also thought that OSX wasn't touch friendly.

Jersey Boss
09-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Hey, how about that $99 pencil? What would Jobs say?

jerrywall
09-09-2015, 03:38 PM

That's the problem I have with it. I could spend similar money and get an extremely nice laptop with a full OS, or even a Surface Pro 3 which also runs the full Windows 10. And is the same size. I suspect the Surface Pro 3 is their target here, but the fact that they're charging for the stylus separately and it's not a full desktop OS hurts it for me.

White Peacock
09-10-2015, 07:13 AM
They're definitely gunning for the Surface line with the iPad Pro, but I agree with some of the above fellows that it falls pretty short by still running iOS, since running a full OS is a big part of the Surface's appeal. The Surface is still the winner here for a number of reasons. The iPad Pro is still locked down to the App Store ecosystem, there's still no apparent support for any sort of USB peripherals, and I believe iOS still doesn't have mouse drivers (notice the conspicuous absence of a touchpad on the iPad Pro keyboard). They innovated with that split-screen multitasking! Why didn't Ballmer think of that?!

I will hand it to Apple, though: they've mastered only stealing from one OS per press conference, as I don't really see anything glaringly Android on the new iPhone this time around. I didn't watch the full presser, though, so I may have missed something.

Thomas Vu
09-10-2015, 08:19 AM
That's the problem I have with it. I could spend similar money and get an extremely nice laptop with a full OS, or even a Surface Pro 3 which also runs the full Windows 10. And is the same size. I suspect the Surface Pro 3 is their target here, but the fact that they're charging for the stylus separately and it's not a full desktop OS hurts it for me.

Not to mention no place to hold said stylus when you buy it.

jerrywall
09-10-2015, 08:29 AM
I will hand it to Apple, though: they've mastered only stealing from one OS per press conference, as I don't really see anything glaringly Android on the new iPhone this time around. I didn't watch the full presser, though, so I may have missed something.

There were a couple... "Hey Siri" which replicates the functionality of "Ok Google", and a few changes to how siri works which seems to replication google now. Minor though.

White Peacock
09-10-2015, 12:12 PM
There were a couple... "Hey Siri" which replicates the functionality of "Ok Google", and a few changes to how siri works which seems to replication google now. Minor though.

Actually, that too was lifted from Microsoft. "Hey, Cortana!" Same concept as OK Google, of course. I still think Cortana is the best of the three, in my dealings.

jn1780
09-10-2015, 01:16 PM
They're definitely gunning for the Surface line with the iPad Pro, but I agree with some of the above fellows that it falls pretty short by still running iOS, since running a full OS is a big part of the Surface's appeal. The Surface is still the winner here for a number of reasons. The iPad Pro is still locked down to the App Store ecosystem, there's still no apparent support for any sort of USB peripherals, and I believe iOS still doesn't have mouse drivers (notice the conspicuous absence of a touchpad on the iPad Pro keyboard). They innovated with that split-screen multitasking! Why didn't Ballmer think of that?!

They should have stole the surface 3 idea instead of the original surface. Didn't they learn anything from Microsoft about having a locked down OS.

BBatesokc
09-11-2015, 06:11 AM
Been waiting for several of these announcements. Didn't see the new new Apple Watch OS 2 mentioned above. Its actually a pretty big deal and makes a lot of changes for developers. While I returned my original Apple Watch, it appears the new OS does the things I was looking for - So, I'll probably be re-purchasing an Apple Watch in a couple of months (unless a new an improved physical Apple Watch is on the horizon!).

I'll probably be purchasing the new Apple TV. We have 6 of the previous Apple TV's and the new features look great.

As for the iPad Pro - say what you will about it falling short of a Surface 3 (I personally don't agree, for my purposes) - Apple will still sell circles around Microsoft. I'm interested in the iPad Pro, but will probably wait for the next generation - I want a better camera and the new 3D touch. In reality though, even at the current specs I'd pic the iPad Pro over the Surface 3 (Looks, larger screen, resolution, performance).