View Full Version : Halloween Parade to return in 2015

Pete
09-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Just received this press release:

Halloween Parade Set for October 31st
Organizers Make Event More Family Friendly

The Oklahoma City Halloween Parade, “A Celebration of the Arts & Creativity,” will take place at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 on Automobile Alley with floats, marching bands, unique automobiles, inflatables and walking groups. Event organizers have added pre and post parade activities, including a kids haunted house with candy and Zombie Ball. Both the parade and all related events will all take place on Automobile Alley.

The parade will step off North Broadway Avenue beginning at NW 13 Street, ending on NW 4 Street. Some of the floats will return to Auto Alley as static displays for the costume party/Zombie Ball.

Entry fees for the parade are $100, and the new event organizers have announced that 100 percent of all entry fees will be donated to Allied Arts to support local arts organizations. Prizes will be awarded by the Judges to the best entries. Original piece of art created by OKC artist will be handed out to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

The parade will have a more family friendly feel this year with children expected to march in the procession. Candy will be handed out by parade participants as they make their way down Automobile Alley.

The “Zombie Ball” costume party will take place in Auto Alley immediately following the parade. The post parade events will include bands, static displays, entertainment, food and beverages.

The parade will be televised on local television this year. The festivities will be taped and rebroadcast the following week for fans and participants to enjoy. Volunteers are encouraged and welcome.
For the second straight year parade organizers include former television news anchor and host Brent Skarky and longtime community leader and event organizer Mike McAuliffe.

Additional information is available online at OKC Halloween Parade :: Home (http://www.okchalloweenparade.com).

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/halloween1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/halloween2.jpg

shawnw
09-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Every year I've gone to the parade it has been widely attended by families...

Bullbear
09-09-2015, 02:50 PM
and every you see comments on social media complaining that it wasn't Family friendly enough.
It was nice to have something that wasn't geared towards children but kids could enjoy based on a families own discretion.

Urbanized
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
They are going to have it ON Halloween? Seems risky having it on the same night that people will be trick or treating.

Jersey Boss
09-09-2015, 03:22 PM
They are going to have it ON Halloween? Seems risky having it on the same night that people will be trick or treating.

Particularly if they are wanting to draw the kid clientele. Why does it seem that in OKC it is somehow wrong to gear an event towards adults?

shawnw
09-09-2015, 03:39 PM
well in their slight defense (in this case) kids kinda had Halloween first...

Jersey Boss
09-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Yes they did. However as Urbanized pointed out, won't kids be out trick or treating door to door that night? That Princess in the photo appears that she would rather be trick or treating than at the parade.

Pete
09-09-2015, 04:04 PM
It starts at 7PM. Seems like if they just started it a bit later, the kids could do both.

It seems most trick-or-treaters come right after the sun goes down.

kevinpate
09-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Jersey, maybe a lot of OK avoids promoting adult only things because calling it adult only reminds then of certain tapes, dvds and novelty items they own, yet pretend they do not own? Might be something else entirely. Might not be.

MadMonk
09-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, based on most of the "adult" Halloween parties I've attended over the years, it's not really a good environment. I'm thinking the parade might be okay, but I imagine the after-parade festivities might get a little too "uninhibited" for the wee little ones.

Jersey Boss
09-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Just to clarify. My position on the parade is the same as Bullbear- "kids could enjoy based on a families own discretion". I certainly was not advocating for anything other than that. The parade that was put on when Coyne was involved is what I had in mind. It just seems the mindset is that everything, everywhere has to be "family friendly". It does not have to be promoted as "adults only", neither does it have to be promoted as "more family friendly".

OKCRT
09-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Just to clarify. My position on the parade is the same as Bullbear- "kids could enjoy based on a families own discretion". I certainly was not advocating for anything other than that. The parade that was put on when Coyne was involved is what I had in mind. It just seems the mindset is that everything, everywhere has to be "family friendly". It does not have to be promoted as "adults only", neither does it have to be promoted as "more family friendly".

This is how things are done in the heart of the bible belt. Things might change a little when OKC grows up a little more.

jerrywall
09-09-2015, 07:27 PM
I will say I know not being family friendly hurt them. Several local groups that tried to support them and be involved in the first years pulled out as it became apparent it wasn't as family friendly as they hoped. An event like this if you don't have the support of local costume clubs its hard to be successful. They're certainly free to put on the type of event thgey want, just like the groups are free not to participate.

kevinpate
09-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Have a family friendly parade on broadway, and a more adultish one on N robinson.
If nothing else, all the sneak a peek daddios will get a mega workout trying to run back and forth.
Exercise .... why isn't the mayor pitching this one?

Jersey Boss
09-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I will say I know not being family friendly hurt them. Several local groups that tried to support them and be involved in the first years pulled out as it became apparent it wasn't as family friendly as they hoped. An event like this if you don't have the support of local costume clubs its hard to be successful. They're certainly free to put on the type of event thgey want, just like the groups are free not to participate.

I went the last two years that Coyne was involved, 10 & 11 I think, and their were over 50,000 spectators at each of the ones I attended. The march of the skeletons was fantastic and clearly a signature event. How do you define succesful?

jerrywall
09-09-2015, 09:51 PM
I went the last two years that Coyne was involved, 10 & 11 I think, and their were over 50,000 spectators at each of the ones I attended. The march of the skeletons was fantastic and clearly a signature event. How do you define succesful?

Oh it was. But a big part was involvement of those local groups. Those groups pulled out after those years. Be mindful, I'm not endorsing their decision. I'm just aware of it.

bchris02
09-09-2015, 11:48 PM
well in their slight defense (in this case) kids kinda had Halloween first...

Yeah. Adults celebrating and dressing up for Halloween is a recent phenomenon.

Anyways, what did this event have in previous years that it won't this year that will supposedly make it more family friendly?

shawnw
09-10-2015, 12:28 AM
In the past it's _seemed_ MUCH longer route wise (could be an optical illusion -- straight line vs meandering route), had the march of the thousand skeletons and wayne coyne in his bubble.

the only thing I ever saw (personally) that _might_ (in a huge out of context stretch) be considered non-kid-friendly (excluding the gorey stuff that's kind of a halloween staple everywhere) was the Teaze dance float with the ladies pole dancing. And I'm trying to be picky here just to have something to list.

jn1780
09-10-2015, 10:46 AM
The adult aspect of the parade last year didn't go too well. Attendance at the zombie ball was low so they ended up letting everyone in for free.

FritterGirl
09-10-2015, 11:52 AM
In the past it's _seemed_ MUCH longer route wise (could be an optical illusion -- straight line vs meandering route), had the march of the thousand skeletons and wayne coyne in his bubble.

the only thing I ever saw (personally) that _might_ (in a huge out of context stretch) be considered non-kid-friendly (excluding the gorey stuff that's kind of a halloween staple everywhere) was the Teaze dance float with the ladies pole dancing. And I'm trying to be picky here just to have something to list.

I think those were the poles that broke the camel's back,. as it were... in terms of some of the larger money entities backing out. I was involved in two parades as a marcher, and both times I thought it was spooky fun with the roller derby girls being the most "offensive." What deems family friendly here versus "family friendly" in other cities are two different things. Even PG or PG-13 here is considered too "adult" for many.

Bunty
09-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes they did. However as Urbanized pointed out, won't kids be out trick or treating door to door that night? That Princess in the photo appears that she would rather be trick or treating than at the parade.
So wait to do trick or treating at 8pm or when the parade is over.

OKCRT
09-10-2015, 05:05 PM

I am shocked they let those Thunder Girls wear those shorty short shorts. I mean this is OKC shouldn't they be wearing long dresses and such?

Jersey Boss
09-10-2015, 05:44 PM

By the time the parade is over and you get home(there will be traffic) folks are turning off the lights for the trick or treaters. Not feasible or realistic.

MadMonk
09-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I am shocked they let those Thunder Girls wear those shorty short shorts. I mean this is OKC shouldn't they be wearing long dresses and such?

Yeah, if only we could take our little ones into strip clubs. Then we could be a "grown-up" city. :rolleyes: