View Full Version : Texas HS football

BlackmoreRulz
09-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Do you think that the coaches put them up to it?

RNCrs63JeuM

Urbanized
09-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Those kids should be thrown out of football. Period. And they should probably get criminal charges. And if coaches were involved, the same for them.

okatty
09-06-2015, 05:19 PM
^Just saw this on NBC national news. Hard to believe. And how DUMB to you have to be - uh these games are filmed and many show live on the internet guys!! Wow.

Snowman
09-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Before watching the video I was expecting it to just be one player and hard to have any evidence of targeting, not that it is impossible there could have been two spectacularly stupid high school kids where one talked the other into doing it.

SoonerDave
09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
No way any coach with any desire to maintain a future *as* a coach at *any* level would *dare* try to orchestrate something like this. These two punks deserve criminal assault charges.

Eddie1
09-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I agree*...absolutely disgusting behavior.

mugofbeer
09-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Never seen anything like it in US football.

BlackmoreRulz
09-08-2015, 05:00 AM
With two other players being ejected prior to this play, you have to wonder about the coaches ability to control his players.

Urbanized
09-08-2015, 06:37 AM
Some in Texas are calling for the entire program to be disbanded.

SoonerDave
09-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Some in Texas are calling for the entire program to be disbanded.

I think that's a knee-jerk extreme the wrong direction. It punishes kids and coaches who had absolutely nothing to do with this as best we understand the situation right now.

As I said before, I simply refuse to believe any HS football coach who aspires to *stay* a coach (or employed in the public school system at all for that matter) would have *ANYTHING* to do with this kind of premeditated assault. It would be the instantaneous end of their careers in my estimation. Heck, even having been on this staff right now wouldn't exactly be a five-star asset, if you get my drift.

Make an unequivocal example of the two criminals who engaged in the assault. Some suggest that the coaches may have been aware that these two guys were problems, and perhaps deserve some accountability; but barring a direct connection, I have a hard time going along with that. But it's out there.

If there was something "bigger" going on, surely someone else on that team knows about it. If the coaches were, somehow, participants, there's just no way it stays under wraps IMHO.

MitchellCole
09-08-2015, 09:46 AM
I think that's a knee-jerk extreme the wrong direction. It punishes kids and coaches who had absolutely nothing to do with this as best we understand the situation right now.

As I said before, I simply refuse to believe any HS football coach who aspires to *stay* a coach (or employed in the public school system at all for that matter) would have *ANYTHING* to do with this kind of premeditated assault. It would be the instantaneous end of their careers in my estimation. Heck, even having been on this staff right now wouldn't exactly be a five-star asset, if you get my drift.

Make an unequivocal example of the two criminals who engaged in the assault. Some suggest that the coaches may have been aware that these two guys were problems, and perhaps deserve some accountability; but barring a direct connection, I have a hard time going along with that. But it's out there.

If there was something "bigger" going on, surely someone else on that team knows about it. If the coaches were, somehow, participants, there's just no way it stays under wraps IMHO.

You are probably correct in that the coaches had nothing to do with it, but you have WAY too much faith in people. Emotions run high in sports and some people do things they regret. I'm sure teachers who sleep with their students have aspirations to continue teaching, but they don't exactly think things though.

Urbanized
09-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I agree that it MIGHT be a knee-jerk reaction, but it is also possible that this is a problem program. I really don't have enough info at this point to have an opinion one way or the other. It is possible that the overall program is rogue, in which case it might be justified. Apparently the entire game had been marred by unsportsmanlike conduct by the John Jay squad, and two OTHER players on that team had just been ejected before this incident happened. If the problem is institutional it might not be a bad thing for them to take a timeout and get things under control there.

Of course, the other side of the coin might be that the officials were terrible, unfair and even racist (as the players apparently accused them of being), but even if so it doesn't warrant that type of targeting. Regardless of what brought it on, those two kids need to be out of football. It's inexcusable.

kelroy55
09-08-2015, 11:08 AM
The two players are suspended from football and school while criminal charged are being considered. They should receive a lifetime ban from football on any level.

bradh
09-08-2015, 12:26 PM
The two players are suspended from football and school while criminal charged are being considered. They should receive a lifetime ban from football on any level.

I'm sure Art Briles will find room for them at Baylor

Snowman
09-08-2015, 06:02 PM

While I agree with most of this, that play along with multiple other plays with ejections in one game is a bit of a red flag that deserves the coaches getting they way the are running the program to be evaluated by both the school district and the league.

There is also some reports one of the assistant coaches said "that guy needs to pay for cheating us" shortly before that all happened. As early as it is it may be wrong, the two may not have been anywhere around him if he did and it may not be anyone who had any authority over the two. If the coach did say that he probably will be wishing he didn't already.

ljbab728
09-08-2015, 07:43 PM
There is also some reports one of the assistant coaches said "that guy needs to pay for cheating us" shortly before that all happened. As early as it is it may be wrong, the two may not have been anywhere around him if he did and it may not be anyone who had any authority over the two. If the coach did say that he probably will be wishing he didn't already.

Yes, he is already probably wishing nothing happened.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/coach-suspended-after-players--hit-on-referee-213740537.html

An investigation by the Northside Independent School District resulted in the suspension of assistant coach Mack Breed for allegedly saying, "That guy needs to pay for cheating us," referring to the referee.

kelroy55
09-16-2015, 07:37 AM
Here's another case... NJ High School Football Player Caught Bashing Opponent in Head With Helmet

NJ High School Football Player Caught Bashing Opponent in Head With Helmet | NBC New York (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Linden-High-School-Football-Player-Hits-Opponent-Helmet-327802531.html)

Should that kid be suspended a number of games? The rest of the season, kicked off the team?

MitchellCole
09-18-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm sure Art Briles will find room for them at Baylor

Stoops doesn't want them because he only brings in players who hit women.

mugofbeer
09-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Stoops doesn't want them because he only brings in players who hit women.

Yeah, a slobbering drunk woman who called a kid names pertaining to his race and questioning his manhood....a woman who was baiting a kid who had turned 18 a few hours before....a kid who was away from home for the first time and had not made friends to have a support group.....and a kid, who by all accounts since then has been a standout student.

The law in OK, per the legislatore who wrote it, allows the person who did the hitting, some leeway when he/she was baited into the act. He wasn't prosecuted and he sat out a year and did all that was asked of him and more.

bradh
09-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah, a slobbering drunk woman who called a kid names pertaining to his race and questioning his manhood....a woman who was baiting a kid who had turned 18 a few hours before....a kid who was away from home for the first time and had not made friends to have a support group.....and a kid, who by all accounts since then has been a standout student.

The law in OK, per the legislatore who wrote it, allows the person who did the hitting, some leeway when he/she was baited into the act. He wasn't prosecuted and he sat out a year and did all that was asked of him and more.

As long as people like you are here to make excuses, men will keep hitting women without repercussions.

Pete
09-18-2015, 02:56 PM
As long as people like you are here to make excuses, men will keep hitting women without repercussions.

To be fair, there were plenty of repercussions in that situation and they aren't over yet.

bradh
09-18-2015, 02:59 PM
To be fair, there were plenty of repercussions in that situation and they aren't over yet.

True, not fair of my to say "without repercussions," but I just think we as men should hold ourselves to a higher standard in those situations.

Pete
09-18-2015, 03:05 PM
I like to think of these situations in terms of physical abuse in general, not just men against women.

I used to run a nonprofit that dealt with this issue pretty frequently and it was absolutely shocking how often women abused men. It's a complicated issue that is almost never reported or publicized but it's very real.

The same is true about how parents and others abuse kids; and older people are frequently abused as well.

Using physical violence in any situation -- except in self preservation -- is really reprehensible and I think this whole subject is almost always discussed too narrowly.

BlackmoreRulz
09-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Sadly, it looks like I was right with my original question.

SAN ANTONIO -- The two Texas high school football players, suspended for blindsiding an official during a Sept. 4 game, both say they were following a direct order from their assistant coach before delivering the infamous hits.

John Jay high school senior Michael Moreno, 17, and his teammate Victor Rojas, a 15-year-old sophomore at John Jay, spoke publicly for the first time since the video of their blindside tackle of referee Robert Watts went viral.

more at -->Texas HS players say coach told them to hit referee (http://espn.go.com/moresports/story/_/id/13682526/texas-hs-players-say-coach-told-hit-referee)

bradh
09-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Well, the skeptic in me hopes that is true and it's not them blaming someone else.

Pete
09-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Even if that coach did say something like "We need to get even with that ref" those kids should still take responsibility for their actions.

It seems like they are now trying to put all blame on the coach, and that is somewhat dubious, and that somehow completely absolves them.

I'm very sure he didn't say: "One of you completely crush him from behind and the other spear him with your helmet."

They still had a choice in the matter.

bradh
09-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Yeah no way that coach struck that much fear in to them.

kelroy55
09-24-2015, 09:57 AM
It's just not the players/coaches. The drill teams are getting in on the action too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=86&v=CcEd4HzBjFA

Roger S
09-24-2015, 11:52 AM
It's just a matter of time before someone gets stabbed at a spelling bee... I'm just saying. :wink:

dankrutka
09-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Making excuses for Mixon and bashing the victim's character is shameful. You're cherry-picking your facts (several of which are contested) to tell a story to justify Mixon's actions. Maybe Mixon deserves a second chance; You won't find me here bashing his character because he's young and I don't know him or exactly what happened. But there is absolutely no excusing what he did in that moment. There is no excusing a trained athlete -- or any man -- bashing in a woman's face.

hoya
09-25-2015, 08:50 AM
A guy I know saw the video of the Mixon thing. He told me the two were arguing, then she spits at him and hits him, and he responds by hitting her "harder than you can possibly imagine" (or something to that effect -- it's been a while). I'm not going to say that either person was in the right in that situation. Both were wrong. But any guy who has been out drinking at that age has seen women who do everything they can to pick a fight, thinking that nothing will happen to them because they're women. They say and do things that would get a guy beaten within an inch of his life. No man would walk up to a group of college football players and say the things she said to them. The girl in the Mixon case clearly misjudged how far she could push that situation. Now, violence isn't justified except in cases of self-defense... but there's still a certain "Darwin Award" aspect to this story that makes me smirk.

As far as the high school kids targeting the ref, these two kids need to be suspended from football for at least a year. You can't have players targeting the referee. But now it does look like the assistant coach told them to do it. And there are multiple people coming out saying that the ref was using racist language during the game. There's an ongoing investigation into his conduct as well. At the end of the day, this is a less serious situation to me than the Mixon incident. Nobody got hurt in this game. The ref just got knocked on his butt. We've seen players take a swing at a ref before. Emotions get heated during a game. And while violence isn't justified, similar to the Mixon case, I have a really hard time feeling sympathy for a victim who is also in the wrong. If this ref actually said the things he's supposed to have said, then I shed no tears for him. You bear the consequences of the things you say.

SOONER8693
09-25-2015, 10:44 AM
GERMANS BOMB PEARL HARBOR! It's done folks, move on.

jerrywall
09-25-2015, 11:35 AM
It's just a matter of time before someone gets stabbed at a spelling bee... I'm just saying. :wink:

Please spell... "incision".

Roger S
09-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Please spell... "incision".

L-A-C-E-R-A-T-I-O-N ..... That is incorrect..... PULLS KNIFE ..... WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT IS INCORRECT???

kelroy55
09-29-2015, 11:24 AM
LAKEWOOD, Calif. - A high school football game in Southern California went from rough to violent. Now, the family of one player is being criticized for allegedly attacking several opposing players last Friday night, CBS Los Angeles reported.

Lakewood High School played against Millikan High School in Long Beach on Sept. 25. A video shows a Millikan player kicking a Lakewood player, Victor Bates, in the head after his helmet was knocked off during the game.

"Just punted him, like he was kicking a ball," said a teammate, who witnessed the incident when he was on the field. "I was like 'really?' And I went to the refs, like, 'how could you not see that?'"

"No respect, no mercy, no nothing," said another teammate. "Clearly everybody saw it, as soon as it happened. I see everyone in the stands, just in awe. So it should have been a flag."

But it wasn't. The game went on, and Bates kept playing. But several parents were not happy.

"As a parent of a player, if it was my son that got kicked in the face, I'd be very upset. And I would expect the school district to basically expel the player for doing that," said parent Roger Lands.

After the game in the locker room, the family of a Lakewood player pushed passed security and attacked four Millikan players. Two were struck in the face. The other two were grabbed in the neck, according to the Millikan High School football Facebook statement.

The statement said: "This is very disgusting and breaks my heart that our players were subjected to this. Fortunately, they know who they are and arrests are the next step. Both Millikan and Lakewood administration are involved along with police reports being filed. This will not be hidden and will not go away, rest assured."

The school district spokesman said the school is aware and taking action, but refused to elaborate. Neither coach was inclined to comment.

Earlier this month, a high school football player in New Jersey was suspended after video showed him striking an opponent's head with his helmet.

kelroy55
09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Not just US football.... The Refs are fighting back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=i39uWaXvtvo

MitchellCole
09-30-2015, 01:20 PM
Making excuses for Mixon and bashing the victim's character is shameful. You're cherry-picking your facts (several of which are contested) to tell a story to justify Mixon's actions. Maybe Mixon deserves a second chance; You won't find me here bashing his character because he's young and I don't know him or exactly what happened. But there is absolutely no excusing what he did in that moment. There is no excusing a trained athlete -- or any man -- bashing in a woman's face.

Would you feel any different if Mixon bashed in the face of a 5'6", 130 pound middle-aged man who was drunk (and had a checkered past) and calling him names? WTF does gender have to do with anything? Would you care if a 250 lb woman beat up a 130 pound man?