View Full Version : British people try to name the states. Results are hysterical.

Dustin
08-28-2015, 08:22 PM
15 People In London Were Asked To Name US States On A Map. The Results Are Hysterical - Dose - Your Daily Dose of Amazing (http://www.dose.com/news/22925/15-People-In-London-Were-Asked-To-Name-US-States-On-A-Map-The-Results-Are-Hysterical-ab630-0?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=WHFacebook&utm_campaign=fijifrost)

Celebrator
08-28-2015, 08:55 PM
About 100% got Florida, Texas, and California. A few got Oklahoma...more than many other flyover states. That was funny.

ctchandler
08-28-2015, 09:19 PM
My friend Chris, from London would do a lot better. We travelled to 28 states. And actually, it would be interesting to ask fifteen people in Oklahoma to name cities in Great Britain. I suspect they wouldn't do well.
C. T.

tfvc.org
08-28-2015, 09:29 PM
My friend Chris, from London would do a lot better. We travelled to 28 states. And actually, it would be interesting to ask fifteen people in Oklahoma to name cities in Great Britain. I suspect they wouldn't do well.
C. T.

Cities or counties.

White Peacock
08-29-2015, 07:43 AM
C. T.

Unfortunately, I doubt many would even do well on this very test. I've encountered some remarkably vacant people when it comes to geographical knowledge.

Tritone
08-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Please, don't ask folks in the good old USA to name the states. The Brits might just beat this time.

ctchandler
08-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Cities or counties.

I told her about this thread/subject and she thought counties in Great Britain would be a better challenge, but I've been there seven or eight times and I couldn't name the counties. I would do fairly well with cities though. She found a link that is an easy way to test your knowledge of the United States, and she got them all but NH, MD, IA, KY, VT, and PA. Try this, it's challenging especially in the New England area. http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/unitedstates.html
C. T.

White Peacock
08-29-2015, 09:45 AM
I told her about this thread/subject and she thought counties in Great Britain would be a better challenge, but I've been there seven or eight times and I couldn't name the counties. I would do fairly well with cities though. She found a link that is an easy way to test your knowledge of the United States, and she got them all but NH, MD, IA, KY, VT, and PA. Try this, it's challenging especially in the New England area. United States Map Quiz (http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/unitedstates.html)
C. T.

99%...freakin' Delaware.

ctchandler
08-29-2015, 11:24 AM
99%...freakin' Delaware.

Of all things, I have driven I-25 from Littleton/Denver to Cheyenne, then I-80 from Cheyenne to Salt Lake City and spent a week in Yellowstone, then on to Cody, et al, and would you believe I lost Wyoming. I couldn't get it out of my head that it bordered Canada, and I knew better. And the frustrating thing is, whether it bordered Canada or not, it is right on top of Colorado, and all I had to do was click the "land mass" sitting on Colorado. Oh well, I've had a mild case of senility lately, but that kept me from 100. Delaware was easy or me, I lived in Maryland for 3 1/2 years.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
08-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt many would even do well on this very test. I've encountered some remarkably vacant people when it comes to geographical knowledge.Years ago when I was one of the sysops on the CompuServe system, the office folk of Compuserve consistently refused to ship stuff to Albuquerque. They insisted they could not ship to Mexico!

Snowman
08-29-2015, 03:11 PM
I laughed at the one labeling Oklahoma as "Not Texas" and Kansas as "Really Really Not Texas"

zookeeper
08-29-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm with several of you questioning the ability of most Americans to do very well on knowing their own states. Naming countries in Europe? I think a vast majority couldn't do that. Cities or counties in Great Britain? We think this was funny! Sad, but I'm afraid it's true.

ctchandler
08-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Years ago when I was one of the sysops on the CompuServe system, the office folk of Compuserve consistently refused to ship stuff to Albuquerque. They insisted they could not ship to Mexico!

Jim,
Remember before the Atlanta Olympics, when they were selling tickets via an 800 number and they wouldn't sell to people in New Mexico because they thought it was part of Mexico?
C. T.

ctchandler
08-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Well, we thought the British naming states was hysterical, look at it this way, they live in the European continent, we live in the North American continent. How much do we know (geographically) about the European continent? This one is tough and I think there are a lot more Brits that know where Texas is than Americans that know where Russia is. I've been across the pond a few times, but I couldn't even get started on this one.
C. T.

Test your geography knowledge - Europe: countries quiz | Lizard Point (http://lizardpoint.com/geography/europe-quiz.php)

p.s. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I think this goes well with the subject, just in the reverse.

Mel
08-29-2015, 05:35 PM
t least they did not call Cali Kadashifornia.

Urbanized
08-30-2015, 08:05 AM
I scored a disappointing 74% on C.T.'s quiz. I need to brush up. Eastern Europe killed me. Too many changes in names and borders since I was in grade school. If it was limited to everything north and west of Slovenia I would have scored 100%. :D

MadMonk
08-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Well, we thought the British naming states was hysterical, look at it this way, they live in the European continent, we live in the North American continent. How much do we know (geographically) about the European continent? This one is tough and I think there are a lot more Brits that know where Texas is than Americans that know where Russia is. I've been across the pond a few times, but I couldn't even get started on this one.
C. T.

Test your geography knowledge - Europe: countries quiz | Lizard Point (http://lizardpoint.com/geography/europe-quiz.php)

p.s. Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I think this goes well with the subject, just in the reverse.

Quiz over. You scored 79 out of 141.
Your score is 56%.
I've got western Europe down pat, but the Baltics and the states around Bosnia/Croatia/Serbia, etc killed my score.

Snowman
08-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I scored a disappointing 74% on C.T.'s quiz. I need to brush up. Eastern Europe killed me. Too many changes in names and borders since I was in grade school. If it was limited to everything north and west of Slovenia I would have scored 100%. :D

Yea, I got 90%, the ones I missed were generally either in the southeast of Europe or the ones not much larger than OKC.

hoya
08-30-2015, 02:08 PM
C. T.

I got 75% on the European one. That's better than I thought I'd do. I'm pretty good until you get to the teeny tiny countries and the old Soviet republics. I'd have just written in on the map "Dracula, Commies, and Borat".

ctchandler
08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I would say that overall, you folks whupped them Brits (my London friend loves it when I talk that way!). I will send your scores across the pond.
C. T.

ctchandler
08-30-2015, 03:08 PM
My friend from London responded and here is what she said. By the way, the Windsor Castle pub is a very nice pub near her home and the waitress was excellent.
C. T.

I'm impressed. The Baltic and Eastern European states are definitely difficult because we could always just lump them together as either part of the USSR or Yugoslavia, and it's relatively recently that my son acquired a Slovenian housemate or we got served in The Windsor Castle pub by a Czeck Republic waitress. Now most of them are in the EU we are getting more familiar with these countries here in the UK so congratulations to those across the pond who knew any of them.
Next challenge ...... What are their capital cities? Ha ha.

usmbubba
08-30-2015, 06:06 PM
85% for me, Southern Europe is a killer

Tritone
08-30-2015, 06:16 PM
The "stans" of Asia give me trouble. I can never find "Fluoristan." I remember hearing it all the time in those old Crest toothpaste ads. [sorry]

rte66man
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
I am proud I got 137 out of 141 for 97%. One was a complete mis-hit, the rest was as "one or the other".

Teo9969
09-01-2015, 10:43 PM
The Balkans are super hazy, a lot like how I can rarely remember which side is New Hampshire and which side is Vermont.

I get the Ms mixed up a lot: Macedonia, Moldova, Malta

I got I believe 90%+, but I was just over there 2 years ago and really focused on getting to know the geography so that when I met people from those areas I didn't sound like a complete moron.

BBatesokc
09-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Many years ago my wife was so embarrassed with herself not being able to name each state as shown on a map she downloaded some app that tests your ability to identify the states. She proudly aces it now on a regular basis. I pick it, get frustrated when it gets to the east coast and give up.

Urbanized
09-02-2015, 06:38 AM
The Balkans are super hazy, a lot like how I can rarely remember which side is New Hampshire and which side is Vermont...

Since grade school that was consistently the only state naming problem for me. I finally got it licked, but the struggle is real. :D

Teo9969
09-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Ha! Just looked at a Map and realized yesterday I was thinking backward.

Somewhere along the way I told myself Vermont is to the East because you could make a "V" out of it.

I'm going to start thinking like "New Hampshire envies (NVs) Vermont because Vermont is next to New York".

ctchandler
09-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Since grade school that was consistently the only state naming problem for me. I finally got it licked, but the struggle is real. :D

Urbanized,
Visiting the area does help, but I still have to think about it a few seconds.
C. T.

Urbanized
09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I've never been to either place, but having been to upstate New York made it easier for me. Some of the areas I visited FELT like what I imagine Vermont FEELS like. So it became easier to picture VT being next to NY, and NH being next to ME. Does that make sense?

hoya
09-02-2015, 02:43 PM
I've never been to either place, but having been to upstate New York made it easier for me. Some of the areas I visited FELT like what I imagine Vermont FEELS like. So it became easier to picture VT being next to NY, and NH being next to ME. Does that make sense?

Perfectly. Having had personal experience with an area can really fix it in your mind. I always got the Rocky Mountain states confused, until I drove through there once. After that it was easy to keep them straight.

gopokes88
09-02-2015, 02:56 PM
C. T.
Or the difference between, England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom

gopokes88
09-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Years ago when I was one of the sysops on the CompuServe system, the office folk of Compuserve consistently refused to ship stuff to Albuquerque. They insisted they could not ship to Mexico!
As a new mexican this is painful yet oddly common, although much less common now.

We have the second oldest city in America, and one of the consequential inventions of all time both good and bad was invented and tested in NM.- The atomic bomb.

hoya
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
There's a new Mexico? [/Homer]

ctchandler
09-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Or the difference between, England, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom

Yes, England is not that island we all see on the map. It is just a part of the island that includes Scotland, Wales, and Cornwall (the lesser known) and they all speak different languages. And that is Great Britain. The United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland. I think at one time it also included Canada, Australia and New Zealand, but I could stand corrected.
C. T.

Tritone
09-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Cornwall is up there with Wales, etc.? I learn something new nearly every day. Really not bragging; I've never had trouble with the 50 states and their capitals. Maps have just always sort of clicked for me.

ctchandler
09-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Cornwall is up there with Wales, etc.? I learn something new nearly every day. Really not bragging; I've never had trouble with the 50 states and their capitals. Maps have just always sort of clicked for me.

I wouldn't put Cornwall up there with Wales, but they are trying to revive the language and be more significant. They don't have the clout that Scotland and Wales have. I don't know if you keep up with these things, but Scotland tried to secede from Great Britain this year. The vote failed, but it was fairly close.
C. T.

Tritone
09-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Yes, I knew about the Scots and the secession move and the close vote. Thanks for the reminder.

ctchandler
09-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Yes, I knew about the Scots and the secession move and the close vote. Thanks for the reminder.

Tritone,
I should have mentioned (and you probably knew this) that Scotland and Wales have their own parliaments, Cornwall does not.
C. T.

Tritone
09-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I did not. Much of my knowledge of the world comes from maps. Sincerely, thank you for the information. I'll tuck it away in my mind for future reference.

EricOK
09-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Heck, most Americans would do worse. I read an article once about a study detailing Americans' knowledge of their own country. Only about 1% could name all 50 states on a map. BTW, how many English counties could Americans name on a map of the UK? How many countries could Americans name on a map of Europe?

Urbanized
09-07-2015, 06:42 PM
...BTW, how many English counties could Americans name on a map of the UK? ...

Since there is only one English country probably most of them could, but many of them would probably have some trouble naming every BRITISH country. Was that a trick question..? ;)

ctchandler
09-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Since there is only one English country probably most of them could, but many of them would probably have some trouble naming every BRITISH country. Was that a trick question..? ;)

Urbanized,
I think you missed the fact that EricOK said "English Counties", not countrys. As many times as I have been there, I can only name a couple. My friend lives in Carshalton, Surrey (the county).
C. T.

Urbanized
09-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Ah, I did indeed!

hoya
09-08-2015, 04:21 PM
Heck, most Americans would do worse. I read an article once about a study detailing Americans' knowledge of their own country. Only about 1% could name all 50 states on a map. BTW, how many English counties could Americans name on a map of the UK? How many countries could Americans name on a map of Europe?

A county is not equivalent to a state.

Jim Kyle
09-08-2015, 04:43 PM
It's very close, however. From wikipedia: "Counties of England are areas used for the purposes of administrative, geographical and political demarcation.

For administrative purposes, England outside Greater London and the Isles of Scilly is divided into 83 metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties. These counties may consist of a single district or be divided into several districts. As of April 2009, 27 of these counties are divided into districts and have a county council. Six of the counties, covering the major conurbations [sic], are known as metropolitan counties, which do not have county councils, although some functions are organised on a county-wide basis by their districts (metropolitan boroughs) acting jointly."

And this is just England, not Great Britain or the UK. They don't have anything directly equivalent to our "states" but the "counties" are a very close equivalent for governmental purposes.

jerrywall
09-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Tritone,
I should have mentioned (and you probably knew this) that Scotland and Wales have their own parliaments, Cornwall does not.
C. T.

Its been interesting to me that England doesn't also have some limited home rule.

Snowman
09-08-2015, 05:28 PM
It's very close, however. From wikipedia: "Counties of England are areas used for the purposes of administrative, geographical and political demarcation.

For administrative purposes, England outside Greater London and the Isles of Scilly is divided into 83 metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties. These counties may consist of a single district or be divided into several districts. As of April 2009, 27 of these counties are divided into districts and have a county council. Six of the counties, covering the major conurbations [sic], are known as metropolitan counties, which do not have county councils, although some functions are organised on a county-wide basis by their districts (metropolitan boroughs) acting jointly."

And this is just England, not Great Britain or the UK. They don't have anything directly equivalent to our "states" but the "counties" are a very close equivalent for governmental purposes.

As they have been devolving more powers to Scotland, North Ireland and Wales; those and England are looking more like states of the UK in recent years. There counties seem closer to our counties than states.

ctchandler
09-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Its been interesting to me that England doesn't also have some limited home rule.

Jerrywall,
I don't really understand, could you elaborate?
C. T.

ctchandler
09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
As they have been devolving more powers to Scotland, North Ireland and Wales; those and England are looking more like states of the UK in recent years. There counties seem closer to our counties than states.

Snowman,
Actually, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are more like the far West, California, Oregon, Washington and probably Nevada, Idaho and Arizona, or other major regions here in the states.
C. T.

jerrywall
09-09-2015, 08:26 AM
Jerrywall,
I don't really understand, could you elaborate?
C. T.

Right now, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales currently have a certain degree of home rule, through their respective parliamentary bodies and through devolution. They have specific levels of control of their own "countries" on issues that specifically relate to their countries. However, on any issues that relate to England only, all MP's including those from Scotland, NI, and Wales, have input. This has been labelled (and come back to question recently in light of the question of Scottish Independence) the "West Lothian question". The idea that "English vote for English laws" has popped up quite a bit recently.

ctchandler
09-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Right now, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales currently have a certain degree of home rule, through their respective parliamentary bodies and through devolution. They have specific levels of control of their own "countries" on issues that specifically relate to their countries. However, on any issues that relate to England only, all MP's including those from Scotland, NI, and Wales, have input. This has been labelled (and come back to question recently in light of the question of Scottish Independence) the "West Lothian question". The idea that "English vote for English laws" has popped up quite a bit recently.

Jerrywall,
Now I understand. Yes, I know a little about how they operate over there.
C. T.