View Full Version : Tent camping - Eufaula vs Arrowhead

trousers
08-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Looking to do some tent/car camping sometime next month. Was looking at Eufaula & Arrowhead. Much difference in the two?
Other recommendations are also welcome, just trying to keep the drive around 2.5 hours. We've done Robbers Cave and Murray in the past.

CCOKC
08-26-2015, 09:46 AM
I camped at Camp Doris at the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Reserve last weekend and I can recommend it highly. I got camping spot number 36 which has a great view of Lake Quanah Parker. My husband and I love to hike so that is our main reason for picking the Wichitas. Plus, it is only an hour and a half from our house in NW OKC to the campsite. It was my first time to see otters in the wild (on the Buffalo trail) so I will say it was quite a memorable trip.

trousers
08-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Thanks. You may have just changed my mind about my location.

TexanOkie
08-27-2015, 09:01 AM
I love camping in the Wichitas--just watch out for the little yellow scorpions, because they seem to be everywhere.

I'll never forget my first time camping at Doris. Around 6:00 AM, we heard what sounded like a large cat with a low growl, but then more started to be heard from other locations. When we opened the window on our tent, it wound up being one of the bison herds strolling through the campsite.

CCOKC
08-28-2015, 05:49 PM
We had many turkeys in our campsite and a raccoon that tried to open our ice chest that we forgot to put in the truck. The boy scouts that were in the site next to us chased 3 raccoons out of their site as well. We also saw the largest rattle snake I have ever seen trying to cross the road Sunday morning. It was at least 6' long and had a monstrous girth. I have to admit I was freaked out a little bit knowing we were about to embark on a 3 hour hike in his backyard.

BBatesokc
08-28-2015, 06:05 PM
I also have to endorse camping in the Wichita Mountains. I've camped in many places in Oklahoma and that by far is one of the best IMO.

Anymore these days we rent a cool cabin in Medicine Park and then drive in to do our hiking, but I fondly remember camping by tent and having buffalo wander into our campsite at night (they don't see well, so don't spoke them).

zookeeper
08-29-2015, 01:04 AM
I also have to endorse camping in the Wichita Mountains. I've camped in many places in Oklahoma and that by far is one of the best IMO.

Anymore these days we rent a cool cabin in Medicine Park and then drive in to do our hiking, but I fondly remember camping by tent and having buffalo wander into our campsite at night (they don't see well, so don't spoke them).

I was looking around and am surprised at the number of cabins for rent in Medicine Park. Any recommendations?

BBatesokc
08-29-2015, 06:11 AM
We have always preferred the Cobblestone cabins - but there are great cabins at all different rates.

We've stayed at these - White Horse Lodging l Cottages & Rates (http://www.whitehorselodging.com/whitehorselodgih.html)

Two in the same area we've also used in the past are here.... https://resnexus.com/resnexus/reservations/lodging/2B22B679-3742-4625-B51A-269663DDA0CD?ID=811 The Bonnie & Clyde and Cobblestone Cottage.

The only thing we don't like about many of the cabins in the area (at least up to the last time we visited) is there is a no dogs allowed policy. They want you to kennel them at a nearby kennel each night. We've had a couple of property owners allow us to bring our dog as long as we put up a couple hundred dollar refundable cash deposit.

There are some really nice ones by the lake too.

We try to time our trips when the weather is not above 80-85 during the day, water levels are normal to high and its especially great when you can hike out in the morning and hear the elk bugle. In the evening we'd drive up to the top of Mount Scott with a picnic basket and find a secluded rock away from the parking area and watch the sun set. The marked trails are great. But we like taking a quality GPS (not your cell phone) and going off trail. There are some great websites with pics of secluded spots most people never see. If you are a book reader, there are some really good books about the western and indian history in the area. Sometimes we read up on one before heading out and it makes it even more fun - gets the imagination running wild.

zookeeper
08-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Good stuff there, Brian. Thanks!