View Full Version : How to make an Attractive City

Zuplar
08-21-2015, 11:42 AM
I thought some out there might find this interesting.

https://youtu.be/Hy4QjmKzF1c

Teo9969
08-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Love It. Love It. Love It.

Under #3 they talk about "The Square". That's exactly why I want the Cox center to be redeveloped with this in mind: If we created a "Town Square" right across from the Intermodal hub, then it would be the first thing people see coming out the doors and it would connect with the Myriad Gardens.

That triumvirate alone would give OKC something that not many American cities have. I honestly think it would be the Crown Jewel of the region.

Just the facts
08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Well that was simply amazing. 7 years of what I have been arguing for summed up in 10 minutes. Thanks for finding and posting.

Bunty
08-23-2015, 11:48 AM
No doubt, conservatives would be quite vehemently opposed to making cities attractive, due to the need to impose more government regulations to do it. In addition to that you then have the lack of political will to overcome conservative objections. For instance, Oklahoma Republicans are opposed to making Oklahoma cities more attractive by not allowing them to impose bans on fracking.

twade
08-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks for posting! What part of the city is best implementing the six points? Is it Deep Duece?

Just the facts
08-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting! What part of the city is best implementing the six points? Is it Deep Duece?

To be honest, OKC fails miserably on all 6, and getting the city to embrace doing any of the 6 has proven to be harder than hell. Just far too many people in opposition.

Just the facts
08-23-2015, 02:03 PM
No doubt, conservatives would be quite vehemently opposed to making cities attractive, due to the need to impose more government regulations to do it. In addition to that you then have the lack of political will to overcome conservative objections. For instance, Oklahoma Republicans are opposed to making Oklahoma cities more attractive by not allowing them to impose bans on fracking.

No doubt far too many have turned the well-being of civic life over to corporate interest.

twade
08-23-2015, 02:30 PM
To be honest, OKC fails miserably on all 6, and getting the city to embrace doing any of the 6 has proven to be harder than hell. Just far too many people in opposition.

Right, I'm not saying any area would (or wouldn't) earn a passing grade, but who is doing it best (even if you would award a "D-")?

Urbanized
08-23-2015, 05:38 PM
I think if it is pulled off (and I expect for it to be) that Wheeler District will be the example by which the rest of the community sees these values in practice and is - hopefully - inspired to bring them to their own corner(s) of the city.

twade
08-23-2015, 07:11 PM
I think if it is pulled off (and I expect for it to be) that Wheeler District will be the example by which the rest of the community sees these values in practice and is - hopefully - inspired to bring them to their own corner(s) of the city.

That's a good one. My initial thoughts were that it would have be a master-planned concept, and I had completely forgotten about Wheeler.

Just the facts
08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
It doesn't have to be master planned. Developers will build whatever the City tells them they can build. The irony is that the City already tells them what they can build, we just need the City to improve what they allow, but that is much easier said then done.