View Full Version : Torchy Tacos coming to Norman.

Pages : [1] 2

progressiveboy
08-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Saw this is in Norman Transcript today! Torchy Tacos is better than Fuzzy's Tacos. A little more pricy, however, better quality!

Many new businesses coming soon to Norman

OkiePoke
08-16-2015, 03:23 PM
That's awesome. I hope they move into OKC eventually. Probably the only thing I miss from Houston.

soonermike81
08-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Love Torchys! Similar to what Big Truck is trying to do but they actually do it well. Hoping this parlays into an OKC location as well.

Pete
08-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Would be their first location outside of Texas apart from Denver.

twade
08-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I've only ever been to one in Austin. I saw it is going into Legacy Park. I always pictured it going into an older building on Main Street or near campus (but I guess campus is saturated with Chipotle, Fuzzys, Chimmys, and Qdoba)

Teo9969
08-22-2015, 11:27 PM
AWESOME!!!

I probably won't make a special trip down there for Torchy's, but it's one of the Texas chains that I'm happy to get.

Jersey Boss
06-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Went here last night to try it out. There was a line of people that was about 30 minutes long to place your order. The ordering process was smooth and similar to Qdoba. Upon entering the door each customer was given a menu, so by the time you ordered it was a smooth process. There is seating both outside and inside. Walking away I give the food a solid 5 star rating. I had the "brushfire' taco which had jerk chicken, jalapenos, cilantro and a diablo sauce. My wife had the 'democrat" which contained barboca beef, avocado, queso fresco, and cilantro. We shared a basket of chips with their green chile queso. The chips appeared to be made there and my wife stated the queso as some of the best she had. The only downside was a 25 minute wait for the tacos which was mitigated by the prompt delivery of the chips and cheese. I would imagine the wait for the tacos will get shorter as the store gets going. I am looking forward to sampling their breakfast items as well.

Pete
06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the review!

I'll have to try that brushfire taco... Right up my alley.

sooner88
06-27-2016, 12:21 PM
There were lines out the door all the time in Austin when I would go visit on the weekends. We would usually go to Tacodeli or one of the other taco shops, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Pete
06-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Fuzzy Taco's (both Bricktown and Edmond) have had lines out the door the times I have been there.

acumpton
06-27-2016, 12:39 PM
My husband and I tried it out this morning and it was fantastic. I got the Wrangler, which has brisket, eggs, cheese in a tortilla. I will definitely be a regular there.

LocoAko
07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Oh noes! Cue the outrage.... :rolleyes:

http://www.normantranscript.com/news/torchy-s-popular-with-some-angers-others/article_f73bc20b-050c-5dd2-89d0-d81f0933eef4.html

Richard at Remax
07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
That makes me sad for our future.

Roger S
07-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Makes me sad for our present.

Easy180
07-01-2016, 11:28 AM

http://www.normantranscript.com/news/torchy-s-popular-with-some-angers-others/article_f73bc20b-050c-5dd2-89d0-d81f0933eef4.html

Some people have way too much time on their hands...Our have to find things to be outraged about society outrages me lol

corwin1968
07-01-2016, 01:29 PM
There's not a food in the world that could make me stand in that line.

tfvc.org
07-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Some people need to grow up. "For the children" B please those kids have heard, read, and seen a lot worse. Pull the pacifier out of your mouth and join reality.

BBatesokc
07-01-2016, 03:13 PM

She may very well pass out when she realizes they call their dessert "Lil Nookies."

Martin
07-01-2016, 04:42 PM
https://aaltomies.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/think-of-the-children1.jpg

Pete
07-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah, using children as an excuse is the worst type of outrage whoring.

stile99
07-01-2016, 05:24 PM

Well, damn.

BlackmoreRulz
07-01-2016, 06:34 PM
The 'Ace of Spades' was most excellent.

http://theavocadoapex.blogspot.com/2013/05/torchys-tacos-secret-menu.html

ljbab728
07-01-2016, 08:18 PM
A "Damn Good" controversy.

http://kfor.com/2016/07/01/new-restaurant-sign-in-norman-causing-controversy/

Celebrator
07-01-2016, 10:35 PM
I am pretty surprised that people on here aren't being a bit more understanding of people's concern with the language. While I might not react to this extreme, it is disheartening to see the care-free way people use this language in signage at a restaurant that clearly will include families as customers. I mean, I get that I can't shelter my kids from profanity, it's all around out in public, but it just bums me out that a business like this goes out of its way to splash this word in a big way inside the place. What purpose does the use of this language serve? Is it just there to create a stir? To be "cool"? It's just not necessary and I don't think makes the world a better place, right? Based on the above criticisms of the people concerned about the signage and the slogan, I am sure I will get bashed for this, but I just thought I would add a comment in support of gentility and graciousness--both of which, to me, a parent of young ones, seem to be diminishing at an alarming rate. Guess I'm just old fashioned at the ripe old age of 38. Oh well. It is what it is, but just bums me out a little.

Romulack
07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
lol you said "bum"

zachj7
07-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Celebrator,

I think there are more important things to be concerned with for your children than this sign. I'd be far more concerned about the "flamboyant" language children hear from their peers and others. I don't know, I guess I'm just more concerned about other things than a damn sign.

Roger S
07-02-2016, 06:04 AM
Celebrator.. As a parent that chooses to shield your children from the realities of life. You should be certain to educate them that the owners of Torchy's are horrible, horrible, people with no respect for innocent children. Being such they are not worthy of your patronage and drive them down to 24th and Hwy 9 and buy them an authentic taco from the little, locally owned, stand there.

Then you can instill your morality in them and teach them how Capitalism works at the same time... Win Win.... Well unless you don't like Capitalism either.

OkiePoke
07-02-2016, 06:55 AM
Is damn considered that bad of a word? F***ing good tacos... that would be a little different.

stile99
07-02-2016, 07:33 AM
lol you said "bum"

As funny as that is, it actually makes a valid point. Ok, Celebrator, you prefer not to see the word 'damn'. Fine. Maybe Romulack prefers not to see the word 'bum'. Maybe I find 'bashed' offensive. Or 'disheartening' may be offensive to someone who has had a heart transplant. Maybe there's a short person on this board who is currently steamed at you casually throwing around the word 'diminishing'.

The point is, who gets to decide what words someone else can use? And the answer is...nobody. This question has been asked and answered countless times. The "Oh GOD won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!!" crowd needs to look up "The Streisand Effect". Maybe Torchy's should send them a basket of damn good muffins as thanks for the free advertising.

Tundra
07-02-2016, 01:53 PM
Celebrator, you should 100% not be surprised that nobody on here has a conscience. Most believe in an anything goes society.... I tend to think like you do, restaurants should want to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone. They will alienate a select group of people, and I'm fine with it....there are plenty of other taco joints in OKC, I've never had torchys and I won't lose any sleep over never darkening their doors.

Don't like it, don't go....it's really that simple...But don't ever be surprised, that your old fashioned views, will ever be applauded, that ship has sailed.

tfvc.org
07-02-2016, 03:01 PM
to me it is more of how people create some kind of power over these words. Maybe George Carlin has influenced my opinion over things too much, especially when it comes to the power of words and the few elite that uses tools like words to control the rest.

Celebrator
07-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Celebrator, you should 100% not be surprised that nobody on here has a conscience. Most believe in an anything goes society.... I tend to think like you do, restaurants should want to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone. They will alienate a select group of people, and I'm fine with it....there are plenty of other taco joints in OKC, I've never had torchys and I won't lose any sleep over never darkening their doors.

Don't like it, don't go....it's really that simple...But don't ever be surprised, that your old fashioned views, will ever be applauded, that ship has sailed.

While I appreciate your support here, Tundra, I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that "nobody on here has a conscience". I simply do not believe that. If someone didn't care about anything, i.e. had no conscience, they wouldn't interact on this board. People are here because they care about building a better community in OKC. I was, however, disappointed that the expression of disagreement with my post was more personal rather than being based on the principle in question.

ultimatesooner
07-03-2016, 10:05 AM
my kids are 3 1/2 - seeing, hearing, saying the word damn isn't gonna change or alter their past/present or future in any way whatsoever

Tundra
07-03-2016, 10:17 AM
People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago. It shows how much our society and our values has changed in a short amount of time. But enough on that... If you don't like something don't support them, thats my motto..

stile99
07-03-2016, 10:54 AM
People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago.

You make a very valid point. Saying the word damn in 1996 would have gotten you burned at the stake, for sure. 1996 definitely didn't see Andrew Dice Clay or Howard Stern using such language. You certainly didn't see the main character of the TV show Martin using it as his catchphrase. How far we have fallen in such a short time, indeed.

kevinpate
07-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Ahhh, the mid nineties ... when kids and parents alike were innocently and joyously dancing along to Macarena .. blissfully sans a clue?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-macarena-meaning-crush-90-soul_us_55e738c9e4b0b7a9633b491d

BBatesokc
07-03-2016, 11:36 AM
You make a very valid point. Saying the word damn in 1996 would have gotten you burned at the stake, for sure. 1996 definitely didn't see Andrew Dice Clay or Howard Stern using such language. You certainly didn't see the main character of the TV show Martin using it as his catchphrase. How far we have fallen in such a short time, indeed.

Or back a bit further to those truly wholesome 70's and the popularity of comedians like Richard Pryor.

Tundra
07-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Last time I checked , you have to buy a ticket or subscription to hear those guys, and you could always change the channel on Martins show....this is a public restaurant, with a public sign.... I'm no prude, but society has little or no conscience anymore for right and wrong....

Easy180
07-03-2016, 12:16 PM
There should some kind of charity to help those kids tramatized by the word damn. You can spot them pretty easily in the crowd. Heads down and shuffling their feet. It's so sad.....

dankrutka
07-03-2016, 03:09 PM
[Back when our society had morals... during segregation!]

Stew
07-03-2016, 03:49 PM
I must say they got some gosh darn good tacos. Another great get for Norman.

Jersey Boss
07-03-2016, 07:57 PM
People tolerate stuff like this today, that they never would have 20 years ago. It shows how much our society and our values has changed in a short amount of time. But enough on that... If you don't like something don't support them, thats my motto..
Outdoor theatre marque from over 50 years ago. Grow up.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/00/29/e6/0029e6a686185b72bdb6b5191faa785f.jpg

ljbab728
07-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Great, Jersey. Some people are just really reaching for a reason to be morally indignant.

ctchandler
07-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Outdoor theatre marque from over 50 years ago. Grow up.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/00/29/e6/0029e6a686185b72bdb6b5191faa785f.jpg

Jersey Boss,
And now we have a move titled "Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot". What great progress. Of course that's what Broadway and Hollywood are good at, pushing the envelope. Does it make the world a better place? I don't think so, will the world come to an end because of Torchy's choice of words? Of course not.
C. T.

ctchandler
07-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Great, Jersey. Some people are just really reaching for a reason to be morally indignant.

Ljbab,
I only judge myself, I'm not reaching for anything, but I practice what I (don't)preach. In 39 1/2 years of marriage while raising two boys, only two obscenities escaped my mouth in front of family, one in front of my late wife and one to my younger son. That's the way I chose to live my life. Now before somebody calls me "Holier than thou", as I first said, I only judge the way I live, how others choose to live their lives is not my business. I should mention that I spent almost 8 years in the U. S. Navy and I know and have used all of the words, I'm just careful where I use them.
C. T.

ljbab728
07-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Ljbab,
I only judge myself, I'm not reaching for anything, but I practice what I (don't)preach. In 39 1/2 years of marriage while raising two boys, only two obscenities escaped my mouth in front of family, one in front of my late wife and one to my younger son. That's the way I chose to live my life. Now before somebody calls me "Holier than thou", as I first said, I only judge the way I live, how others choose to live their lives is not my business. I should mention that I spent almost 8 years in the U. S. Navy and I know and have used all of the words, I'm just careful where I use them.
C. T.

CT, I wasn't referring to you and I admire you for that. I know a few people who can't say one complete sentence without a curse word and my thought is that those people just have such a limited vocabulary that they don't know how to express themselves without it.

ctchandler
07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
CT, I wasn't referring to you and I admire you for that. I know a few people who can't say one complete sentence without a curse word and my thought is that those people just have such a limited vocabulary that they don't know how to express themselves without it.

Ljbab,
I know you weren't referring to me and I didn't take it that way. I just felt a need to reply. I have a lot of respect for your posts.
C. T.

FighttheGoodFight
07-06-2016, 08:06 AM
I went last week. The line is still pretty long so I just went to the bar and sat down. You don't have to wait in line and you can order from the bar normally.

I had two tacos and I enjoyed the Trailer Park taco the most. The chips and queso are excellent!

I will be back!

jerrywall
07-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Let's burn all the copies of "Gone with the Wind!" cause frankly my dear, I guess I don't have a conscience, because I don't give a damn about some indoor signage.

Should I also point out that the word "damn" (or a variation) appears 15 times in the new testament. Better tell my pastor to burn those books too.

While we're at it, don't bother cleaning the blood from your hands Lady Macbeth! That Damn'd spot will never go. Who'd have guessed Shakespeare had so much blood in him, yet so little conscience.

ctchandler
07-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Let's burn all the copies of "Gone with the Wind!" cause frankly my dear, I guess I don't have a conscience, because I don't give a damn about some indoor signage.

Should I also point out that the word "damn" (or a variation) appears 15 times in the new testament. Better tell my pastor to burn those books too.

While we're at it, don't bother cleaning the blood from your hands Lady Macbeth! That Damn'd spot will never go. Who'd have guessed Shakespeare had so much blood in him, yet so little conscience.

Jerrywall,
Put the "broad brush" away, I was raised by a single (divorced) mother and we (my sister and brother) were taught in a manner that I maintained my whole life. I don't judge anybody, but your post appears to say that you do. I don't believe you are that way. Just remember my post, I didn't use crude language in 39 1/2 years of marriage and my boys never heard it either. How you choose to live your life is none of my business.
C. T.

jerrywall
07-06-2016, 10:23 PM
C.T.

There's a big difference between a personal behavior choice, which I respect, and declaring that "nobody on here has a conscience" as others have done, because they're not outraged over the use of a word (which is not really a curse word and has been used in literature for hundreds of years), on a sign on the INSIDE of a private business. Some people have too much free time for outrage. They're the same types who get try to get books banned from libraries. They should keep in mind they'll need to get the fires to 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

ctchandler
07-07-2016, 10:35 AM
C.T.

There's a big difference between a personal behavior choice, which I respect, and declaring that "nobody on here has a conscience" as others have done, because they're not outraged over the use of a word (which is not really a curse word and has been used in literature for hundreds of years), on a sign on the INSIDE of a private business. Some people have too much free time for outrage. They're the same types who get try to get books banned from libraries. They should keep in mind they'll need to get the fires to 451 degrees Fahrenheit.

Jerrywall,
Kind of like the difference between burning KD's jersey and being disappointed that he left? I understand what you mean. Oh well, when you get tired of Torchy's, send them to the Mid-Del area. This place needs some really good tacos. Even a good taqueria would be great. We seem to be a Mexican food desert over here in Eastern Ok county.
C. T.

jerrywall
07-07-2016, 10:40 AM
It's a shame that Red Dirt Burrito on Sooner closed. That place was outstanding.

Roger S
07-07-2016, 10:45 AM
It's a shame that Red Dirt Burrito on Sooner closed. That place was outstanding.

Agreed. I liked them a lot better than Qdoba or Chipotle... They were always very busy at lunch... Not sure what happened there.

There is quite a bit of Okie-Mex to be found in Eastern Oklahoma county. I've been to Wholly Guacamole, at 29th and Douglas, a few times and the food is good..... I can't think of a single taqueria east of Eastern in the county though.

ctchandler
07-07-2016, 05:33 PM
Agreed. I liked them a lot better than Qdoba or Chipotle... They were always very busy at lunch... Not sure what happened there.

There is quite a bit of Okie-Mex to be found in Eastern Oklahoma county. I've been to Wholly Guacamole, at 29th and Douglas, a few times and the food is good..... I can't think of a single taqueria east of Eastern in the county though.

Wholly Guacamole's menu doesn't impress me, but I'm being unfair, I need to go there and they are only two miles away. I neglected to mention Mid-Del Tacos. They are a nice little sit down place with decent tacos, better than most of the fast food taco places (Taco Bell et al). I have eaten at Qdoba and it was pretty good, but not a taqueria.
C. T.

BBatesokc
07-07-2016, 07:05 PM
If anyone gets to the Blanchard area, give Burrito Grill a try. Really like their three taco special - I do two beef and one pulled pork. Really fresh ingredients.

Tundra
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Wholly Guacamole's menu doesn't impress me, but I'm being unfair, I need to go there and they are only two miles away. I neglected to mention Mid-Del Tacos. They are a nice little sit down place with decent tacos, better than most of the fast food taco places (Taco Bell et al). I have eaten at Qdoba and it was pretty good, but not a taqueria.
C. T.

CT , I tried mid Del taco a few months ago for the first time, after driving by it once a week for the last 20 years, it was okay, just didn't have much flavor and the sauce was nothing spectacular. I tried the crispy tacos and a beef burrito.

ctchandler
07-07-2016, 08:57 PM
CT , I tried mid Del taco a few months ago for the first time, after driving by it once a week for the last 20 years, it was okay, just didn't have much flavor and the sauce was nothing spectacular. I tried the crispy tacos and a beef burrito.

Tundra,
That's kind of what I said. My opinion is they are better than fast food tacos but not great.
C. T.

BBatesokc
07-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Tundra,
That's kind of what I said. My opinion is they are better than fast food tacos but not great.
C. T.

Eaten there many times when I lived in that part of town. For me, Mid Del is a step above most fast food taco joints and a step below Tacoville. But for me, you've gotta be in the mood for 'that type' of Mexican food.... and my gut is rarely in that mood as I get older. But, when I am, it's DAMN good.

Tundra
07-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Eaten there many times when I lived in that part of town. For me, Mid Del is a step above most fast food taco joints and a step below Tacoville. But for me, you've gotta be in the mood for 'that type' of Mexican food.... and my gut is rarely in that mood as I get older. But, when I am, it's DAMN good.

I seen today that Tacoville , is about to open their 1st franchise in Omaha Nebraska of all places....its set to open within the next few weeks.... Im sure Coz is smiling down on his kids...