View Full Version : Wood inserts - any recommendations?

PennyQuilts
08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Husband and I have been shopping/researching for a wood insert to convert our large fireplace. Most know I'm talking about converting the fireplace to a Woodstove that fits in the existing fireplace. We've begun to narrow down what we want and have visited a few dealers but were wondering if any of our OKCtalk friends have some advice, experience or suggestions about brands and dealers in the area. Thanks.

onthestrip
08-13-2015, 03:52 PM
I imagine you are looking for a new one but craigslist has some used ones. I know this because I just listed one that I took out of my fireplace a while back.

Zuplar
08-13-2015, 03:57 PM
I've thought about doing this as well. They sure can put out some heat if done properly.

PennyQuilts
08-13-2015, 05:49 PM
I imagine you are looking for a new one but craigslist has some used ones. I know this because I just listed one that I took out of my fireplace a while back.

Why did you choose to take it out?

Zuplar
08-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Not trying to sway you but I remember coming across this when I looked. Inserts are so expensive for good ones I hated to spend that money when I didn't really want mess with wood at all. I ended up just blocking off the fireplace for now cause I never made a decision but this is a different style grate that seems to fix a lot of shortcomings of normal grates.

Anyways just thought it might be an interesting read at the very least.

Fireplace Insert | Gratewalloffire.com: Fireplace Insert, Fireplace Inserts (http://www.gratewalloffire.com/Fireplace-insert_ep_44-1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwgLGuBRCqptLsnJCvh-wBEiQAiNRjsVsh727UmVuWldp6DTwd-l-2BqAsfNsBZvYyJ0BI_ygaAvaK8P8HAQ)

onthestrip
08-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Why did you choose to take it out?

Purely cosmetic reasons. If I wanted function, I would have definitely left it in.

PennyQuilts
08-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Not trying to sway you but I remember coming across this when I looked. Inserts are so expensive for good ones I hated to spend that money when I didn't really want mess with wood at all. I ended up just blocking off the fireplace for now cause I never made a decision but this is a different style grate that seems to fix a lot of shortcomings of normal grates.

Anyways just thought it might be an interesting read at the very least.

Fireplace Insert | Gratewalloffire.com: Fireplace Insert, Fireplace Inserts (http://www.gratewalloffire.com/Fireplace-insert_ep_44-1.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwgLGuBRCqptLsnJCvh-wBEiQAiNRjsVsh727UmVuWldp6DTwd-l-2BqAsfNsBZvYyJ0BI_ygaAvaK8P8HAQ)

Interesting idea. I did a bit of googling on it and it sounds like it often helps with a fireplace but doesn't put out the heat of a wood stove or insert. I'm pretty sure we're going to get a Grand Voyager (or if it is too big, a regular Voyager). Thanks, all, for the comments.

mkjeeves
08-15-2015, 09:02 AM
As we have gotten older asthma and allergies have made burning wood not that rewarding of an option. When we remodeled we installed gas logs in our two fireplaces. They are great for the few times a year we use them for heat and enjoyment of fire in the fireplace, and they came in real handy when our heating quit and we waited for a part through a couple of really cold nights the past winter.

We already had gas in both. These people sold and installed them. http://www.bachlesbythefire.com/