View Full Version : Ghost Town: Bridgeport Ok

MattB
08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
After my wife saw the photos I took a when I rode out to the Pony Truss bridge in Bridgeport, she wanted to see it for herself. We drove out there and then looked for the ghost town of Bridgeport, and found it. These pics were taken back in the spring when we had the "Noah's Ark" rain. Note that one of the photos that looks like boat launch is actually a country road completely under water. Bridgeport, Oklahoma is but a shadow of its former self.
It was bypassed in 1933 when Route 66 had its alignment changed. Many residents of the town picked up and moved - including their businesses - to the new alignment of Route 66. Before the Pony Bridge was build in 1933 Bridgeport was the western terminus of a safe Canadian River crossing. Here a privately owned suspension bridge was built to allow the crossing of the Canadian River. The owner and builder not only recouped the cost of constructing the bridge but made a handsome profit to boot. Known as the Key Bridge, it was constructed in 1921 by Oklahoma City businessman, George Key. The toll for crossing the Canadian River on the Key Bridge was $1.00 for autos and $1.50 for trucks. Back in the 1920s that was pretty steep indeed. Route 66 travelers were outraged. In 1930 the bridge was bought by the state of Oklahoma and the fee was dropped. The state already had plans for another bridge however, and after the Pony Bridge opened the Key Bridge fell into disuse and was finally sold for scrap.
The photo which looks at first glance like a boat launch is actually a country road under water; these were shot in the spring during our "Noah's Ark' weather.

Tritone
08-15-2015, 08:38 PM
A ways upstream from the old US 66 bridge is the old railroad bridge/trestle (Rock Island) and right next to it was what we called the "cable car." Good times.

MagzOK
08-16-2015, 05:55 AM
Very neat place indeed. There was a split in the railroad track there once it came across the Canadian River to the north. There is a track still there that curves west through the north of town, but waaay back when it split and one track pretty much went south through town and jogged a little to the east. Part of the town's demise is that one side of town had better water than the other, so at one time most of the town picked up their houses and stuff and moved to the other side of town. I've walked across that railroad bridge before, and would like to again when the vegetation dies off. Supposedly where the Key Bridge (just east of the rr bridge) there were buildings and stuff all along that road leading into Bridgeport. I'd like to walk over there and see if there are any artifacts or anything left from that era. I find that kind of stuff fascinating.