View Full Version : Oklahoma City is one of the top five travel destinations in the world

Omega Man
08-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Best Trips 2015 -- National Geographic Traveler (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2015/#/canal-bricktown-oklahoma-city_85215_600x450.jpg)

Bellaboo
08-12-2015, 06:53 AM
I don't believe the title to this thread, I don't care who's saying it. LOL I do like the article though.

In all seriousness, it's an honor to make this list.

TU 'cane
08-12-2015, 07:43 AM
That's awesome.
The picture they use makes it look so charming, not that it is or isn't.

I'm telling you guys down there, you have got to make sure Bricktown remains THE focus of progress and historic preservation.
People love BT and as long as you keep a healthy balance of entertainment, food, bars, retail, etc. people will keep coming back and enjoy their visit even more.

That's why I'm really excited for the Jim Brewer building, I had no idea this whole time it was vacant! That's a lot of space coming to BT when they finish up.

Filthy
08-12-2015, 08:08 AM
I guess I'll be the jerk...but I'm pretty sure that article is about 7 months old, and has been discussed ad nauseam. But now that I've rolled that out...it's still good to get the recognition. (Even if it was bought and paid for)

AP
08-12-2015, 08:13 AM
I was going to mention that earlier.

Omega Man
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I guess I'll be the jerk...but I'm pretty sure that article is about 7 months old, and has been discussed ad nauseam. But now that I've rolled that out...it's still good to get the recognition. (Even if it was bought and paid for)

Has it been posted on one of these forums?

Rover
08-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Bought and paid for? Was this an ad? Were all of them on the list bought and paid for or is that just an assumption?

Plutonic Panda
08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
There was an list natgeo put out last year that included OKC in its top 50 destinations and this is different.

I have a bias for OKC since it's my hometown so I would tell anyone its a place they should visit before any other area of the world, but it is interesting how we keep ending up on these. I guess OKC is really ballin according to NatGeo.

Mr. Cotter
08-12-2015, 12:54 PM
I like living here, and all, but if you can't come up with 20 better global locations to visit, you're doing it wrong.

Rover
08-12-2015, 01:09 PM
I think the point is being missed. No one is suggesting OKC is one of the 20 top or most important tourist destinations in the world, nor should it be. Most wouldn't even agree as to what those 20 would be...what is better the Great Barrier Reef or the Eiffel Tower? Depends on what you like. So, these are never definitive lists put together by someone with infinite wisdom. But, this list is basically some places that you might not automatically consider and might be interesting or fun. To be lumped in this group is great recognition. SOMEONE thought us interesting enough to put us on the list even if we don't like ourselves enough to even want to believe it.

johnnyhooper
08-12-2015, 01:14 PM
This was not a pay-to-pay feature. It is legit editorial. You can let yourself be just a little bit proud; it won't hurt...

gopokes88
08-12-2015, 01:30 PM
I'm telling you, we're going to start getting some Austinites up here as they get annoyed with the rapid growth.

Bullbear
08-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Sometimes its our residence who are the biggest hurdle in attracting others to our little city.
we can't even be proud of ourselves without assumptions and downing our own City.
Great article and very happy OKC made the list.

adaniel
08-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Sometimes its our residence who are the biggest hurdle in attracting others to our little city.
we can't even be proud of ourselves without assumptions and downing our own City.
Great article and very happy OKC made the list.

Agree completely.

On a related note, I would love it if OKC started advertising a bit more out of state. The "Adventure Road" commercials are plugged hard here in Dallas. And although it is done by the Chickasaws (who would looooooovve for you to drop a few C notes at Windstar before heading up north) it is really the first and only major mention of OKC done in the local press here.

Anonymous.
08-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I'm telling you, we're going to start getting some Austinites up here as they get annoyed with the rapid growth.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but OKC can (and probably is starting to) capitalize on Austin's explosion.

Filthy
08-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Has it been posted on one of these forums?
I apologize, as it was 9 months ago...not 7 as I had previously posted. Either way...just making a comment really, and didn't want to take away from the subject of the thread.

Previous Thread -------> http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic-issues/39534-nat-geo-traveler-features-okc.html

There was an list natgeo put out last year that included OKC in its top 50 destinations and this is different. I may very well have some internet or computer problems. I don't claim to understand alot of this internet mumbo jumbo...but when i clicked the link..it was the exact same article as posted last year. Word for word...pictures and all. Maybe there was a redirect of some sorts, to where I cannot see the new article. Either way it doesn't matter, as its still good exposure for this Magnificantly Awesome City that we live in! OKC FOREVER YA'll!!!!

Bought and paid for? Was this an ad? Were all of them on the list bought and paid for or is that just an assumption? Of course not! It would be silly to throw out an unfounded assumption that this article was in any way shape or form paid for by any public funds that could possibly be traced back to the city of OKC, nor the state of Oklahoma. More so, it would also be unfounded to assume that it was championed by private funds, and or multiple bi-level private corporations, in exchange for certain perks/and or campaign contributions. (Or if you want to fancy it up)......you know.......pour some ketchup on it, and call it an "Oklahoma Investment/New Jobs Income Tax Credit." Its no big deal really. I'm just glad, that OKC continues to be a topic of discussion on a national scale!

I love this city....I'm even drinking water from a retro "OKC Redhawks" cup as we speak!

dankrutka
08-12-2015, 10:57 PM

What about OKC buying a billboard in Austin with something to the effect of, "Austin too crowded for ya? Try OKC, hipsters." ;) Maybe a picture of some tatted up rebels from the Plaza District in the background. Lol.

TU 'cane
08-13-2015, 07:44 AM
What about OKC buying a billboard in Austin with something to the effect of, "Austin too crowded for ya? Try OKC, hipsters." ;) Maybe a picture of some tatted up rebels from the Plaza District in the background. Lol.

No. More. Hipsters.

Please.

:p