View Full Version : What can you tell me, good or bad, about Basset Hounds or Bagle Hounds?

SoonerDave
08-11-2015, 11:52 AM
My daughter has been (severely) twisting my arm about getting a dog.

In my entire 51 years on planet Earth, I've never owned a pet. So this is uncharted ground - and I've not yet totally sold myself on it :)

Momentum seems to be around either a basset hound or a beagle-basset mix (referred to, apparently, as "bagle hounds?"). I've done some reading on various breeds, and it does seem to me a Basset would be a pretty good fit for my general personality - maybe go for a walk, maybe kick back :)

I live in a suburban neighborhood with a decent but not monstrous backyard, and any dog will need to (generally) learn to spend his time outside - at this point, I'm not sure I'm an "indoor dog" person. And I know how important it is for a dog to be able to play and get proper exercise, and I surely don't want to get a dog and make him or her miserable as a result. That's, as an example, why I'd likely never consider a beautiful Golden Retriever - I think they'd just get bored to death - and I'm sure I'm not ready for that *size* of dog. But I must admit the idea of a big ol Basset snoozing in the living room is pretty fun as well.

So I'm looking for feedback about Bassets and Bagles - good and bad, honest, frank, all that. They seem like good home dogs, maybe a little drooly, maybe a little stubborn, but from what I can tell they're generally pretty affable in family settings. And, no, I have no timetable for doing this. I'm trying to do my due diligence ahead of time and avoid a bad, rushed decision I'd later regret.

Thanks.

jerrywall
08-11-2015, 11:58 AM
My basset can't seem to learn he isn't a lap dog. Get's easily scared by loud noises and thunder, and can be a grump. And we totally love him.

They can have health issues. Especially bloat and joint issues, so it's something to be aware of. They're also fairly territorial.

Dubya61
08-11-2015, 12:13 PM
While I believe that every broad characterization of any breed is just an old wives tale, I would say that you have focused in on two of the noisiest dog breeds. My dachshund-beagle mix is a "delightfully vocal dog" (euphemism for barks all the damned time for no obvious reason). I believe bassets are much the same.

kelroy55
08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
I've had neither breed but I have had Corgi's and they are wonderful dogs.

kevinpate
08-11-2015, 01:16 PM
We had a basset hound when I was young. He had an intensely amorous attraction to my parents bedspread. Before he passed, he was the only pet Mama did not much care for. It was understandable all in all.

okatty
08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
We have friends who have had 3 different Bassets and they seem to love them. Also my in-laws had one and he wwas just a lazy teddy bear of a dog in his old age.

There was a beagle in our neighbood who was the barkingest, bayingest dog ever and drove me nuts every time i walked or ran by - more than most dogs!! ha

Good luck!!

SoonerDave
08-11-2015, 01:20 PM
I've had neither breed but I have had Corgi's and they are wonderful dogs.

There's no question that would probably option #1A in my daughter's book. They, too, appear to be very good choices.

kelroy55
08-11-2015, 01:49 PM
There's no question that would probably option #1A in my daughter's book. They, too, appear to be very good choices.

You have to keep them brushed but one of the best breeds I've ever had. Not mine but looks just like the two I've had.

http://animalia-life.com/data_images/pembroke-welsh-corgi/pembroke-welsh-corgi2.jpg

mkjeeves
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
We had a couple of bassets, several mutts and a cat when I was a kid. (not all at the same time) They were okay. In hindsight, I got more enjoyment out of each of the mutts than the hounds but they were good dogs.

Bellaboo
08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Just my humble opinion, a female Rhodesian Ridgeback is one of the best dogs on the planet. They rarely bark unless for a reason. Not to big and not too small, incredible watch/guard dog. Smart, the book says they can learn up to 300 word commands. Very obedient and very good around people and kids., and other animals for that matter. Very short hair so not as much of a hair problem if they are a house dog.

Achilleslastand
08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
We had a basset hound{Shorty} back in the day that was jet black and truly unique in every sense of the word. Not the most active dog, but as far as giving and receiving affection he was second to none.

kelroy55
08-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Just my humble opinion, a female Rhodesian Ridgeback is one of the best dogs on the planet. They rarely bark unless for a reason. Not to big and not too small, incredible watch/guard dog. Smart, the book says they can learn up to 300 word commands. Very obedient and very good around people and kids., and other animals for that matter. Very short hair so not as much of a hair problem if they are a house dog.

That's better than my kids lol

ksearls
08-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Please go to the shelter or a rescue organization and adopt a dog when you are ready. So many need homes and you will not be sorry. We've had many full bred dogs but my mutt Baxter is the best and healthiest dog we have ever had. Never again will I go buy from a breeder.

positano
08-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Just know that most hound breeds (beagles for certain), bark a lot by instinct. Scent hounds can also wander on you if your yard isn't secure. Nose goes to the ground and off they go. At least a Basset won't get too terribly far - beagles can put up some mileage.

Bellaboo
08-11-2015, 02:31 PM
That's better than my kids lol

To expand a bit, our kids say that we treat the dog better than we treat them. I tell them that's because the dog doesn't give us any crap. lol

Celebrator
08-11-2015, 02:33 PM
My sister currently has a Basset {Norman} and she loves him. He is an instant attraction everywhere she goes. He is a large Basset, so not a lap dog. If you are not an active person, then a Basset is perfect for you, because they require little more than a walk to the nearest potty spot and that's it. If you are a jogger, this dog will give up 2 minutes in and you'll be carrying it. Very chill dogs, sleep a ton.
One of the biggest downsides is they can get malodorous pretty quickly. All of those wrinkles in the face/neck capture (sorry, gross) drool and can get very nasty, so keeping their heads (eyes, ears, and neck) clean is essential or you'll have a big droopy, smelly, dawg on your hands. I couldn't have one for this reason alone. Too many folds and wrinkles of skin to maintain.

okatty
08-11-2015, 02:51 PM
^ We had same thing with English Bulldongs...lots of cleaning face, slobber and fun stuff like that!! I can see Basset being same way not that you mentiion it.

loveOKC
08-11-2015, 02:59 PM
This is a great post. I've been looking for my family of six. I was looking at the English foxhound, but I love the suggestion of a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I'll look at both breeds.

turnpup
08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
We've had three beagles over the span of about 15 years. The biggest thing you need to know about beagles is that THEY LIVE TO EAT AND SNIFF. There's a reason the almighty didn't create the beagle to be a big dog. Otherwise, nothing edible would ever stay on a countertop. Someone upthread mentioned that they tend to wander off when on a scent trail. This is very true. If you have a beagle, you absolutely cannot let it off leash or loose. That nose will take it far, far away.

Our second beagle, Jake (bless his little soul in dog heaven), was of the thick-waisted variety (so much so that he was frequently mistaken for a Basset, even though he was AKC registered full-blood beagle). Anyway, his spine gave out one day, out of the blue, when he was only about 6 years old. We opted to have surgery done, and then rehabbed him back from paralysis from the waist down, until he could walk and run again (albeit with a limp). He did good for about 3 more years, then started having trouble. We had to have him put down a little over a year ago. I tell this story because it's apparently more common than one might realize to have these types of spinal issues in thick-waisted dogs such as larger beagles, bassetts, dachtsunds (I know this is misspelled) and the like. So if you get a bassett or beagle, please be mindful of their weight.

Additionally, the bark can be a problem. Our girl, Stella, barks very loudly whenever someone walks by with a dog. She generally doesn't bark at just people. If you have a wood fence, then it's probably not going to be as much of a problem. We have an iron fence, and live in a neighborhood with sidewalks and lots of dog-walkers. Luckily Stella is an indoor dog, so her loudness is very limited.

Other than the issues mentioned, beagles are great! They're cute and lovable and all that. But so are all kinds of breeds, and rescue dogs.

SoonerDave
08-12-2015, 07:22 AM
This is all great information, everyone. Corgis are unquestionably an option here I just didn't mention; they are ridiculously cute dogs. And I've already decided that when/if I do this, we will almost certainly pursue a rescue. One other tidbit - Our yard is fenced with gates that I would lock during the day; the backyard is around 90x40 (varies, but that's a fair estimate), so that's why I think a medium-to-smaller dog would do better than a big one, like a Retriever or collie-type, if that makes sense.

A few other notions come to mind: I'm thinking too about things like hot summers; we've got a small porch that affords some shade, but not much; obviously I'd either buy or build a nice dog house, but even those can get hot. Are some dogs more tolerant of Oklahoma summers than others? Also, would anyone here favor getting a puppy over, say, a two- or three-year old dog? I've read that Basset pups go through a "terrible twos" of "mischief," but I have to suspect *most* puppies probably go through something similar. Is it more protracted for Bassets?

I've read about the perspiration/slobber/skin/malodorous issue with Bassets and their ilk, and read all extremes; eg "it's exaggerated, it's not that bad" to "ugh, it's horrible." How often do you bathe a dog that doesn't have the chubby/skin issues, versus one that does?

I'm trying to be the practical one here, because my daughter is in love with these YouTube videos of two beagles owned by a guy I think lives in Germany (?) (well, somewhere in Europe) - Louie the Beagle I think is his name, along with his "little sister." These videos are typically the "cute" stuff, but less of the day-to-day take-care-of-a-living-creature kind of stuff that isn't always so "fun." That's another part of this I'm trying to gauge.

Or am I darned well just thinking about it too much? Wouldn't be the first time for me :) I'm just trying not to make a bad decision :)

positano
08-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Some breeds are notoriously more hard-headed and stubborn than others, but the breed's energy level will play the largest role in how well your house / yard fit. If your dog gets plenty of attention, play, and walk / runs, you just don't need that much space. I think most dog folks will agree behavior problems are very often the result of boredom. A little consistent training and attention will go a long way. The benefit of a puppy is that you get to start from scratch. That being said, you can certainly find an older dog that is well-behaved. Just spend some time with whatever you choose before you make the commitment.

ctchandler
08-12-2015, 10:27 AM
The best dog(s) I have owned were the result of a breeder, dumping his/her worn out old female Weimaraner and her mixed breed puppies. We kept the mom and one puppy and she was the best behaved I have ever seen and it rubbed off on her young one too. I live on five acres with no fence and they would not leave the property unless we walked them off of it. My neighbor a former OKC zoo veterinarian asked me how I trained them to stay home and I had no answer because that's just how she behaved. I'm not pushing Weimaraners, just adding to/agreeing with Positano's comment about older dogs.
C. T.

Zuplar
08-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Seems like most have touched on everything that I've heard. Like mentioned hounds do tend to bark, a lot. It's just instinctive. They also tend to have what they call a distinctive doggy odor. This is something that just kills it for me personally. I've been in a house with both a beagle and bassett and, well after walking in it's quite obvious they have dogs. Both of those dogs are good sizes like mentioned. For me I'm not a fan of the hound look. I did lots of researching before I got my dog. I really wanted a smart dog, but if you take a look at the top 10, almost all but a couple are larger dogs. So what I ended up settling on is a Shetland Sheepdog aka Sheltie, the ones that look like little rough collies. At first I was really afraid of the long hair, but mine has proved that she really doesn't shed that much, and I have never in 4 years had her professionally groomed, just brushed her a couple times a month with a ferminator, which you'll learn is an amazing brush.

Anyways she has been the best dog I've ever had. She is also the friendliest dog I've ever had. She literally loves everyone, and is so good with people our friends even let their baby roll around on the floor with her. And maybe I'm biased but I think Shelties are some of the best looking dogs out there. Bred for a purpose and just look like what a dog is supposed to look like. I know mine always gets high praises from people when we go to the dog park, and we always seem to get stopped when we are out and about with her, usually by other sheltie owners. It seems like whenever I run into other sheltie owners they say that's the only dog they will ever own again, and personally I have to agree after owning one.

kelroy55
08-12-2015, 11:59 AM
The best dog(s) I have owned were the result of a breeder, dumping his/her worn out old female Weimaraner and her mixed breed puppies. We kept the mom and one puppy and she was the best behaved I have ever seen and it rubbed off on her young one too. I live on five acres with no fence and they would not leave the property unless we walked them off of it. My neighbor a former OKC zoo veterinarian asked me how I trained them to stay home and I had no answer because that's just how she behaved. I'm not pushing Weimaraners, just adding to/agreeing with Positano's comment about older dogs.
C. T.

When I had my Corgi I lived in the country and if the neighbors dog came over he would chase him off but never go past the property line. I never know how he knew where to stop.

MsProudSooner
08-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I have no experience with Bassett Hounds. I've always heard that the bad thing about Beagles is that if they ever get out of your yard, they will start following an interesting smell and you'll never see them again.

TaoMaas
08-12-2015, 02:55 PM
I've always heard that the bad thing about Beagles is that if they ever get out of your yard, they will start following an interesting smell and you'll never see them again.

That would certainly apply to the beagle I had growing up. He was a ramblin' son of a gun and hard to keep in the backyard. We used to call him, "Hound-ini" because he could escape from anywhere. lol He was also LOUD! When he was baying, we could hear him on the other side of town. The flip side was that he had a ton of personality and was a fun companion for a couple of rowdy boys.

ctchandler
08-12-2015, 03:06 PM
When I had my Corgi I lived in the country and if the neighbors dog came over he would chase him off but never go past the property line. I never know how he knew where to stop.

Kelroy,
Same here! How did she know? I could have understood it if she was born or at least raised on my land, but she was over ten years old when I got her. You could tell she had been bred for years, too bad the owner/breeder couldn't take better care of a female that took good care of him. He/she dumped her and six pups on Air Depot, just North of Hefner and my son brought them home.
C. T.

Tritone
08-12-2015, 07:49 PM
My experience is that bassets are very talented singers. They have great resonant sonorous voices. They sing good and loud...well loudly anyway.

hoya
08-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Bassets are some of the most pleasant dogs you will find. Very laid back. Easygoing. They like to wag their tails. And drool. Oh boy, do they drool. You will have to work at keeping them clean because they slobber all the time. But they'll be perfect for kids.

PennyQuilts
08-13-2015, 04:01 PM
We had a beagle as a kid. Nice enough dog but loud. I love Bassets but they do often have health problems. Corgis are cute, especially if you like dwarves (they look like canine dwarves, to me). Oklahoma summers are hard on any dog - make sure they have water and shade - maybe a kids' wading pool for them to cool off in - but catch them at the door. If they are going to be a single dog, I'd advise against a puppy. Pups are destructive as part of developmental thing but left alone, they get bored and can really make a mess. An older dog with a history you can learn about might help you find one used to being outdoors. Taking an indoor dog and leaving it outside ain't right. Like people, they get acclimated to a certain lifestyle. The problem with an outside dog is that if you want one that is lovey dovie, they aren't really going to be happy to be kept alone. Some dog breeds are more family oriented than others and being outside is going to be harder on them than more independent dogs. Are you sure she wouldn't be happier with a cat?