View Full Version : Insulation

Zuplar
08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
I was thinking about getting some extra attic insulation put in. I noticed oge has a rebate to get some of it back which is even more enticing. Anyone have a recommendation of a company?

stick47
08-06-2015, 04:46 AM
Zupler we had ours done when the home was built to R-19 then at the end of the year had the same guy come back and top it off to R-55. He did a good job both times. The original layer was included in the price of the home and for the added R-38 we paid $1,000. His recipt here doesn't say how many SF but the home is 2200 sf and we had both 2 car garages done on the 2nd trip. The contact is Mike Spivey 405-320-0819.
(Be aware that he's the builders guy and he doesn't show up w/a nice looking truck & trailer if any of that matters to you. <G> )

rezman
08-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Barry Pearce ... Tripple - G Coatings ... 405-524-3626 or 918-510-3626

okatty
08-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Used Premier Insulation and they did a great job for us and handled the OGE rebate paperwork. Very easy to work with and highly recommend. The contact is Lance Guilliams. 659-1046.

Zuplar
08-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys. My house is right at 2100 sq ft with a 3 car garage. I was hoping for right around $1000, cause if I remember the rebate correctly it's 30% up to $500, so that'd help me out $300. Not bad cause I think it would help make a difference.

SoonerDave
08-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys. My house is right at 2100 sq ft with a 3 car garage. I was hoping for right around $1000, cause if I remember the rebate correctly it's 30% up to $500, so that'd help me out $300. Not bad cause I think it would help make a difference.

It will help - but more in the winter than the summer. Winter is better because it mitigates heat transfer from a warm, cozy room out into a cold, empty attic, but less in the summer for the same reason - it keeps that warm air warm. Hopefully, it mitigates some of the radiative property of the heat in the attic from working against the A/C that's trying to cool that air.

Zuplar
08-06-2015, 11:25 AM
It will help - but more in the winter than the summer. Winter is better because it mitigates heat transfer from a warm, cozy room out into a cold, empty attic, but less in the summer for the same reason - it keeps that warm air warm. Hopefully, it mitigates some of the radiative property of the heat in the attic from working against the A/C that's trying to cool that air.

Honestly the winter is where I feel I really could use it. Either way it seems when we have extremes in temperatures is where I think about it the most.

TU 'cane
08-11-2015, 08:39 AM
My garage isn't insulated, been thinking about getting it finished out.
I can't help but think that it would help even in the slightest.

Has anyone attempted to do it themselves?

rezman
08-11-2015, 09:21 AM
My garage isn't insulated, been thinking about getting it finished out.
I can't help but think that it would help even in the slightest.

Has anyone attempted to do it themselves?

Yes, I've done that. Go to Home Depot and if you buy your insulation bundles there, they let you use their blower for free. I thinks other home center do the same. Best thing to do is get up in the space where you want to insulate first and visually plan out where you want the insulation, where the obstacles are, where you need to step, and your exit route. You'll start at the farthest points from the attic entrance and work your way back and forth back to the entrance. Make sure to wear jeans and boots, long sleeves and gloves, with the sleeves pulled down over the gloves, dust mask, cap and safety glasses, and do it when its about 30-40 degrees outside, or else you 'll be burning up when you're up there.

Also, if you get a case of insulation itch, when your done, take a cool or cold shower. That will close your pores and the glass fibers will wash off easier.

TU 'cane
08-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks rez, it's not a huge area and think it'll be considerably cheaper if I just do it myself.
Appreciate the step by step, gonna refer back when it cools down and I can get up there.

Zuplar
08-11-2015, 10:48 AM
I did my attic when I moved in. My father got 3 big rolls for free so I did that. Not sure if it's helped much, but it was the right price.

FWIW I had a guy come out and look at my existing insulation that I was referencing with this thread. He told me that it was good, but not the most energy efficient it could be. If it was him, he said he isn't sure he would do it, unless we just really wanted to take advantage of the rebate. So since we have a bit of spare cash and it's something we've talked about doing, he is coming Friday morning to to add 6 more inches.

IanMcDermid
08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Foam will eat your lunch financially. But they do the underside of your roofing deck to create a pocket of insulation that makes an incredible difference. best to think of it like a triple wall. You insulate your living space, then you insulate the space above it. Making the whole system vastly more efficient.

kswright29
08-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks rez, it's not a huge area and think it'll be considerably cheaper if I just do it myself.
Appreciate the step by step, gonna refer back when it cools down and I can get up there.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to do it myself or not. A buddy of mine did it himself a few weeks ago and said it wasn't too bad. One thing though, the OGE rebate isn't good for a DIY job. He was told it had to be professionally installed. He pushed them on it and asked what "professional" meant, is there some certificate or training necessary to blow insulation. They said no, but wouldn't budge.

Zuplar
08-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Got mine done last Friday. Took about 45 minutes. I can already tell a difference. AC doesn't run near as long and I know we haven't had the temps, but when My house precooled before 2, it never kicked on again till the thermostat kicked back on. That will definitely make a difference in the bill.