View Full Version : Easements and buried lines

Easy180
07-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Recently signed a contract for an inground pool. The pool company had Okie come out to mark up my backyard. My backyard has a 10 ft easement along my back fence which we factored in for the pool size.

Okie sprayed orange AT&T buried cable lines starting at the 10ft mark but also coming to the 12 ft mark. The flags say be careful hand dig so my hope is they are likely back within the easement but they just don't want us to get crazy with a backhoe.

My pool will go right up to the 10ft mark since I live in a cul-de-sac and my backyard isn't huge. I called AT&T and after 20 minutes of being transferred they told me a technician would call me in 7-10 days.

Anyone have any experience with this type of situation? My hope is they move the lines if they do indeed extend past the easement.

rezman
07-31-2015, 08:34 PM
When they locate your lines, they usually have about a two foot margin. But they usually get pretty close. If they are AT&T lines coming from the pedestal to your house, then they are probably not burried very deep. Ours were only about 3-4 inches deep. You can have AT&T move them if necessary. Actually, what they will probably do is disconnect the old lines, leave them in the ground and just run all new . You definately don't want to put your pool over them. We have the same type of easement at our current residence, and we pulled up the Cox lines that ran from their pedestal, as they were just below the surrface as well, and had the original AT&T lines disconected and re routed with new line to make room for new landscaping. At our old house, the lines were deeper. Probably around a foot or so.

oklip955
08-01-2015, 06:37 AM
As far as att lines I did have a bit of a problem last year. Not on my property but serviced only my property. Basically county (Logan hit them while doing road work. Att ran temp on the ground. Oklahoma county hit them with their brush hog. New temp. Guy brushhoging hit them again. After about 3 months of which I was out of service phone and internet, att finally reburied the line. No one had to pay for hitting it. I then when out of state on a trip and the gophers in my front pasture ate up the line. They came out (contracter for them) and ran another 700' of buried line. Again no cost to me.

SoonerDave
08-04-2015, 06:59 AM
As far as att lines I did have a bit of a problem last year. Not on my property but serviced only my property. Basically county (Logan hit them while doing road work. Att ran temp on the ground. Oklahoma county hit them with their brush hog. New temp. Guy brushhoging hit them again. After about 3 months of which I was out of service phone and internet, att finally reburied the line. No one had to pay for hitting it. I then when out of state on a trip and the gophers in my front pasture ate up the line. They came out (contracter for them) and ran another 700' of buried line. Again no cost to me.

I may be wrong on this, but I think any buried cables or lines up to the demarc at a home are the responsibility of the provider. I know ONG has been working to move gas meters to the home demarc, whereas a lot of older homes (mine included) have theirs set at the back of the lot, making the pipe from the meter to the house my responsibility if it ever goes south for some reason :(