View Full Version : Windows 10

SoonerQueen
07-30-2015, 02:14 AM
Just curious if any of you have updated. Did you have any problem? How long did it take you? I heard from someone that I might want to wait, that there are a few bugs to work out. any suggestion?

stick47
07-30-2015, 05:13 AM
I haven't upgraded and don't plan to. I like windows 7
What you'll lose:
Microsoft explains what you?ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10 | The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss)

What you need to be aware of is that Windows 10 allows sharing of wifi passwords with your contacts unless you turn it off.

How to turn off wifi sharing
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/turn-off-windows-10s-controversial-213003839.html

FighttheGoodFight
07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Upgrade from Windows 8.1 was painless. Took about 30 minutes total. Had to use windows update for my dual 970 video drivers.

All in all it is running great. No complaints. I like the design way more than 8. If you have an SSD get 10 the boot times are great.

Thomas Vu
07-30-2015, 07:21 AM
I've been running it since beta, and have enjoyed it more than 7 and MUCH more than 8. Not upgrading to the full blown one until they get the NVIDIA driver issue figured out.

SoonerDave
07-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Have not upgraded and have no immediate plans to do so. My "daily driver" personal laptop is a Win7 beast that has some tools and goodies expressly no longer supported under Windows 10, and beyond that it's not a touch-screen interface, so I see very little point in going to the hassle. My daughter wants to upgrade her laptop, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm gratified to hear from the early reviews that MS has morphed at least a variety of the start menu/desktop interface alternative into their hideous Purple Flying Tile nightmare of Win8. I *hate* the live tiles :)

I downloaded one of the dev previews of Win10 and intended to at least run it in a VM to play with it, but just never got the interest level to invest the time. I spend so much of my time these days on my tablet, phone, and on my Linux boxes at home that Windows just isn't nearly as critical as it once was....

5alive
07-30-2015, 07:29 AM
No problems. I like it!

venture
07-30-2015, 07:55 AM
Installed it on all the machines. No issues at all and went pretty quick.

jerrywall
07-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Arg. I want to get it on my machines, and I am an insider, but for some reason the upgrade hasn't been slated for me yet. grrrrrrr.

I had early versions running on a second disk image, but I'm ready to update my main machines. I've been pretty happy with it. Of course, I liked windows 8.1 quite a bit.

Stew
07-30-2015, 02:44 PM
I was playing with a windows 10 machine today. It's better than windows 8 but so was DOS but it's still not as good as windows 7 for non-touch screens. I think I'll stick with my Mac.

tfvc.org
07-30-2015, 03:37 PM
Microsoft has a way of downloading and creating an ISO or USB stick for 10 just like they did for 7/8. You can manually update it yourself that way. I am currently downloading the ISO now.

ctchandler
07-30-2015, 04:03 PM
I was playing with a windows 10 machine today. It's better than windows 8 but so was DOS but it's still not as good as windows 7 for non-touch screens. I think I'll stick with my Mac.

Stew,
Have you tried Windows on your Mac? I did just for fun. I got it fairly cheap (Windows XP), but I don't use it anymore. I was running Microsoft Office and a couple of old favorites of mine that were DOS applications, a menu program and a card game program. As a Mac user since 2006, I hate Windows. It's just too much work.
C. T.
p.s. I bought my first pc in 1985, but when I switched over to the "Dark side", I knew I would never go back.

venture
07-30-2015, 04:45 PM
If you are still waiting...

Windows 10 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10)

jompster
07-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I upgraded my Win7 machine to Win10 last night, and I'm a bit half-and-half on the feelings. I love 7, but there are also things about 10 that I have found I enjoy. My main gripe is that so much is in different places. I have that feeling like I did when I first began using Linux where I had to constantly Google instructions. However, it runs super smoothly so far. I installed by downloading the ISO, but ended up doing it upgrade style instead after reading about some headaches about product keys.

All-in-all, I still prefer my Ubuntu Linux over anything. But still, it's good to see that Microsoft has kept with their pattern of good-bad-good-bad lol. Windows 8 was a muddy unicorn. Windows 10 redeems the brand quite a bit.

tfvc.org
07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
I was watching the Windows podcast on twit.tv last night and supposively half of what they wanted to do isn't finished yet and the inital release was supposed to be in the Fall (Oct? I think) but they released it early for the fall semester thinking kids would be buying laptops with 10 on it. Things like add ons in Edge aren't ready to go yet, some of the ways the apps work and other things as well. Seems pretty typical of Microsoft to release things when they aren't ready. Started with Windows 1.0 and continues with Windows 10.

Midtowner
07-30-2015, 08:57 PM
I haven't run into any problems. I'm running a pretty new rig though. Radeon R9 200 Series... (my first non Invidia). No issues yet.

Dustin
07-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Just downloaded it yesterday for my Surface Pro 3. So far so good.

I love the new Internet Explorer (Microsoft Edge) very sleek and a big big upgrade from IE. I also love that you can write on the web pages and send them instantly via social media.

jerrywall
07-30-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm installing now. Pretty painless so far and seems to be close. I laughed when it warned me about losing media center.

Achilleslastand
07-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Anyone notice any performance gains/faster boot times vs 7/8? Boot times were already under 10 seconds but I have heard 10 is faster{supposedly}.

jompster
07-30-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm installing now. Pretty painless so far and seems to be close. I laughed when it warned me about losing media center.

I did too... the first thing I thought of was "BYEEEE FELICIA!" The new media options seem to be good in 10. Achilles, I'm running 10 on a five-year-old Dell, and it booted up very swiftly. I didn't time it, but it seemed like just a few seconds.

I'm not sure I like the way Cortana needs to have my Microsoft account signed in all the time, but maybe that's because I'm old school and don't like account integration. Plus, Cortana seems a little slow in the brain. I have to yell at it like it's got a hearing aid with a low battery.

SoonerQueen
07-31-2015, 12:49 AM
Here is something that I found informative after updating to Windows 10.
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-first-5-things-immediately-install-133029496.html?soc_src=unv-sh&soc_trk=fb&fb_ref=Default

Mel
07-31-2015, 01:06 AM
Will it let you run I-Tunes?

FighttheGoodFight
07-31-2015, 07:37 AM
Will it let you run I-Tunes?

iTunes running fine on Windows 10 for me. Version 12.12.1

MadMonk
08-02-2015, 07:41 PM
After playing around with the beta version for several months, I have no problems with Windows 10. Everything I currently need to run on my PC works just fine. However, I don't plan on doing the auto-upgrade. I'm going to do a clean format and install once I find the time. I've never been a fan of in-place OS upgrades.

Servicetech571
08-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Still using Windows 7 on my home theater PC for Windows media center.
Desktops/Laptops are running Linux Mint 17.2 mate edition (free).
Main Page - Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/)

mkjeeves
08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
I assume there's a way to run a pc in offline mode with windows 10 or does it have to have access to the cloud/internet for log in verification or something? In 8.1 that requires setting up a local user. Same?

SoonerDave
08-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Yeah, hate to admit it, but the one thing I really hesitate to lose right now is WMC because it's the only way I can watch all the channels provided by Cox on my CableCard through my tuner device on my laptop. I don't use it that much, mind you, but I hate losing the *option* of using it.....

Going to use my daughter's laptop as an upgrade guinea pig.

MadMonk
08-04-2015, 08:16 AM

Been thinking about trying out Mint. How do you like it? Why Mate over Cinnamon - hardware issues?

zookeeper
08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
This being Microsoft's first "real-time" OS, it's important you know the privacy issues. Here's an article from Newsweek http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

Here's how to lock it down (the best you can). How To Stop Windows 10's Spying | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/)

Here's a guy that lays it out pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_FWpr8BX8

Thankfully, Microsoft backed off and allows you to run Windows 10 as a local account (with some loss of functionality). Of course, 99% of the people won't do this and will run with the "real-time" cloud OS giving everything to Microsoft.

It's really important that people understand this is the first OS from Microsoft that lives in the cloud and all your devices will sync, etc. But that includes not just the OS, but ALL applications, files, etc.

SoonerDave
08-04-2015, 01:34 PM
This being Microsoft's first "real-time" OS, it's important you know the privacy issues. Here's an article from Newsweek http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

Here's how to lock it down (the best you can). How To Stop Windows 10's Spying | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/)

Here's a guy that lays it out pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_FWpr8BX8

Thankfully, Microsoft backed off and allows you to run Windows 10 as a local account (with some loss of functionality). Of course, 99% of the people won't do this and will run with the "real-time" cloud OS giving everything to Microsoft.

It's really important that people understand this is the first OS from Microsoft that lives in the cloud and all your devices will sync, etc. But that includes not just the OS, but ALL applications, files, etc.

Just for the sake of completeness, it should probably be put out there that this is what Android/Google do/have been doing since their inception.

Servicetech571
08-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Been thinking about trying out Mint. How do you like it? Why Mate over Cinnamon - hardware issues?

Sleep/Suspend not working in cinnamon on 2 of my desktops. Every machine works great with Mate.

zookeeper
08-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Just for the sake of completeness, it should probably be put out there that this is what Android/Google do/have been doing since their inception.

Yes, Android, iOS, and the Chrome OS as far as that goes. But these are mostly on the go mobile devices. For a desktop/work OS to go this route is quite different. Running as a local account, you are shut-out of administrative capabilities. I'm keeping my Windows 7 until I can't anymore and then will do something else. Maybe many are ready to give up all of their information to a handful of huge tech companies. I'm not. By the way, have you read the TOS and Privacy Statement? It's beyond anything one would term "reasonable." It seems written with the assumption that most of the younger generations won't care - and maybe they don't. I know my generation would have never dreamed of all this.

SoonerDave
08-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes, Android, iOS, and the Chrome OS as far as that goes. But these are mostly on the go mobile devices. For a desktop/work OS to go this route is quite different. Running as a local account, you are shut-out of administrative capabilities. I'm keeping my Windows 7 until I can't anymore and then will do something else. Maybe many are ready to give up all of their information to a handful of huge tech companies. I'm not. By the way, have you read the TOS and Privacy Statement? It's beyond anything one would term "reasonable." It seems written with the assumption that most of the younger generations won't care - and maybe they don't. I know my generation would have never dreamed of all this.

There's still an administrator account; it's disabled by default. Your user account is an "unelevated" administrator account (principle of least privilege). If you fire up an administrative command prompt (Command Prompt->Right-click->Run as administrator), you can explicitly enable the named Administrator account if you wish via "net user administrator /active:yes" I believe

The "selective" elevation is a security measure to prevent malicious code from arbitrarily running in the highest possible security context - a fully privileged admin account. The process of elevation means you're a regular user until you need the extra privileges, then typically UAC comes in and says "hey, do you want to do this?"

jerrywall
08-05-2015, 02:27 PM
A few years ago I would have been very wary of this, but I've either gotten jaded or just used to the concept. My phone, and tablet, as well as my desktop browser are all interconnected. Hey Google on my phone reminds me of flight information it read in my emails. My passwords, settings, and such move between all my devices. Since I use my voice search so much, it's gotten a lot better over time, and part of that is because they store the information and have it learn over time.

bombermwc
08-06-2015, 07:38 AM
You should also note that Windows 8 started this process with the ability to sign in with their Microsoft account. It's the same thing users have done for years with Android and iOS....and Chrome. You can always elect not to use that and to use a local account instead. And don't use the OneDrive. When you first set up 8 or 10, you get the options to select that information is sent to Microsoft....just choose not to show them.

Funny how we all willing give up the info to our phone manufacturers and all those apps that run on them, but when it's Microsoft, suddenly we call foul.

zookeeper
08-06-2015, 11:12 AM
You should also note that Windows 8 started this process with the ability to sign in with their Microsoft account. It's the same thing users have done for years with Android and iOS....and Chrome. You can always elect not to use that and to use a local account instead. And don't use the OneDrive. When you first set up 8 or 10, you get the options to select that information is sent to Microsoft....just choose not to show them.

Funny how we all willing give up the info to our phone manufacturers and all those apps that run on them, but when it's Microsoft, suddenly we call foul..

Well, I'll say again, I don't keep sensitive information on my phone. I'm of "a certain age" and I see the desktop as completely different than my phone. The defaults are abysmal when it comes to privacy. Offensive, actually. Many in my age group wouldn't dream of giving up certain information. I know that's all changed now. I'm sticking with my Windows 7.

tfvc.org
08-06-2015, 03:25 PM
I find it cool that i have an app in my Win 8.1 machine that changes wallpaper every 5 minutes. My win10 machine changes it wallpaper almost in real time.

FighttheGoodFight
08-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Well, I'll say again, I don't keep sensitive information on my phone. I'm of "a certain age" and I see the desktop as completely different than my phone. The defaults are abysmal when it comes to privacy. Offensive, actually. Many in my age group wouldn't dream of giving up certain information. I know that's all changed now. I'm sticking with my Windows 7.

If you are truly needing privacy then print things out and lock them in a drawer. Nothing on any OS is safe from people looking at them/using/hacking/etc.

bombermwc
08-07-2015, 07:23 AM
If you are truly needing privacy then print things out and lock them in a drawer. Nothing on any OS is safe from people looking at them/using/hacking/etc.

Very true. if you have a cell phone or a computer, you're being statistically tracked....end of story. If you've ever bought anything with a credit card....same boat.

SoonerDave
08-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Well, my Windows 10 experience using my daughter's laptop was essentially a non-event.

I used the Media Creation Tool to create the ISO, burned it to a DVD, fired it up on her laptop....made sure I had the license key...after about an hour or so, poof. Win 10 was up and running relatively happily.

About the only mistake it made was in the installation of a barebones display driver for the older Intel HD 3000 Graphics adapter, which didn't support the full (albeit oddball) 1366x768 resolution. I had to go get the Win 8/64 driver for that, which installed with no problem, and the laptop is perfectly happy. It even still logs into my SAMBA domain controller just fine.

Cosmetic gripe: I loathe this peculiar fixation with odd-blue-purple on about 90% of the GUI, and it's just so heavily woven into stuff I don't need, I just have a tough time seeing the utility in much of the GUI. But at least we can put together something that substantially resembles the Win7 desktop and get rid of the stupid tiles in the start menu.

Daughter happy, dad happy, so on down the road we go. We'll see what does or doesn't work as time passes :)

Servicetech571
08-08-2015, 06:16 AM
Free operating system, no spyware.
Unfortunately most computer manufacturers are in tight with Microsoft, and you pay the "windows tax" with every PC purchase.
If you could but a computer for $50 cheaper with Linux would you still pay for Microsoft?

Bunty
08-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I find it cool that i have an app in my Win 8.1 machine that changes wallpaper every 5 minutes. My win10 machine changes it wallpaper almost in real time.

I wouldn't want it to change that fast if it's real pretty. Bing changes wallpaper every day or two, and sometimes that is too fast for me.

mugofbeer
08-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Help out a computer-ignorant person. My son took it upon himself to download W-10 on our 4 year old laptop. Now he says his games wont work. Any thoughts on next steps?

tfvc.org
08-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Help out a computer-ignorant person. My son took it upon himself to download W-10 on our 4 year old laptop. Now he says his games wont work. Any thoughts on next steps?
There is a way to roll back to your previous version
settings > update and security > Recovery > go back to...

tfvc.org
08-09-2015, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't want it to change that fast if it's real pretty. Bing changes wallpaper every day or two, and sometimes that is too fast for me.

I have a bunch of sunset pics I took when I lived in Fl, and a bunch of Spain pics I took when I was there on holiday. It is hard to pick my favorite ones.

Achilleslastand
08-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Wont work?
As in wont start at all?
Or graphical errors?

Assuming he updated the graphics card drivers for Windows 10 I would say the next step would be to try and start the game/s in "compatibility mode". To do this right click on the games icon then in the drop down menu select "properties". Then look for the tab "compatibility", select it then scroll down to the box "run this is compatibility mode for" check the box and then click windows 7 then apply then ok and try and start the game.

Mel
08-09-2015, 05:47 PM

First step, smack him upside the head.