View Full Version : Gatewood UCD exploring Historic Preservation or Historic Landmark Status

hatrick36
07-15-2015, 03:30 PM
I received a flyer today informing me that members of our neighborhood are exploring changing our zoning from an "Urban Conservation District" to "Historic Preservation" or "Historic Landmark." What are the practical pros and cons of this? How does it impact homeowners and rental properties? Are there any red flags or major reasons for concern?

okatty
07-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Realtor George Massey is an excellent resource on this topic. You might contact him to discuss. I think he did the presentation for Gatewood about these types of issues.

John1780
07-16-2015, 06:25 PM
It appears to the be next step upwards beyond a UCD. While UCD's seem to have more generalized language with respect to code and upkeep, a Historic Preservation District has a more restrictive code, with a review from the Historic Preservation Committee required for remodels/exterior changes to residences. See Mesta Park's guidebook (http://www.mestapark.org/Websites/mestapark/Images/HP_guidelines.pdf).

While it can result in what could be viewed as overly restrictive house preservation standards, looking at the property values in the current HPDs, I would say it is a positive thing. If this succeeds, it seems that a place on the National Register comes not long after.

On a side note, it appears the Miller neighborhood below where I live is just ahead of Gatewood in the process. The application is pretty extensive, and a good insight into what it takes to make the HPD transition. (http://www.okc.gov/planning/hp/documents/OK_OklahomaCounty_Miller%27sBoulevardHD.pdf)

Mr. Cotter
07-16-2015, 07:25 PM
If you want your home's value to increase, vote HP Zoning. UCDs are nice, and depending on what covenants they decide to adopt (they aren't all the same), that could make a nice impact on the aesthetics and keep land use pretty well locked where it is.

hatrick36
07-16-2015, 07:33 PM
It appears to the be next step upwards beyond a UCD. While UCD's seem to have more generalized language with respect to code and upkeep, a Historic Preservation District has a more restrictive code, with a review from the Historic Preservation Committee required for remodels/exterior changes to residences. See Mesta Park's guidebook (http://www.mestapark.org/Websites/mestapark/Images/HP_guidelines.pdf).

While it can result in what could be viewed as overly restrictive house preservation standards, looking at the property values in the current HPDs, I would say it is a positive thing. If this succeeds, it seems that a place on the National Register comes not long after.

On a side note, it appears the Miller neighborhood below where I live is just ahead of Gatewood in the process. The application is pretty extensive, and a good insight into what it takes to make the HPD transition. (http://www.okc.gov/planning/hp/documents/OK_OklahomaCounty_Miller%27sBoulevardHD.pdf)

Thanks! Appreciate the links and the insight.

hatrick36
07-16-2015, 07:40 PM
If you want your home's value to increase, vote HP Zoning. UCDs are nice, and depending on what covenants they decide to adopt (they aren't all the same), that could make a nice impact on the aesthetics and keep land use pretty well locked where it is.

Property value increases are always nice, but we do have some lower income folks that live in the neighborhood and I don't want to see them pushed out because property taxes become too high or historic preservation requirements are so strict they can no longer work on their own homes. I don't want to live in a dumpy neighborhood and would like to protect my investment (house), but I also don't want to displace my neighbors--well, most of my neighbors.

Mr. Cotter
07-17-2015, 07:11 AM
Displacement is bad, but preservation does not cause it. Shepard would be a good comparison for Gatewood. HP Zoning doesn't keep homeowners from working on their homes- it keeps them from painting their house neon green, building an aluminum carport, and replacing wood windows with vinyl (which are less efficient than a maintained wood window, need to be replaced more often, and detract from the historic nature of a neighborhood: WPSC Window Preservation Standards Collaborative (http://windowstandards.org/)). HP zoning doesn't impact basic maintenance.

LakeEffect
07-17-2015, 07:18 AM

Actually, Gatewood is already on the National Register, it's just not zoned by OKC for HP/HL standards.

I would imagine that this is also due to the fact that, recently, a few homes have been built, or are being built, that do not match the architectural character of the neighborhood at all. Houses with garages fronting streets, driveways to the street, etc.

hatrick36
07-17-2015, 08:48 AM
I would imagine that this is also due to the fact that, recently, a few homes have been built, or are being built, that do not match the architectural character of the neighborhood at all. Houses with garages fronting streets, driveways to the street, etc.

I was wondering if that might have something to do with it--the house on 17th on the corner, the house on 16th with the dark brick/stone, and there's a house that looks like it should be in Moore in the interior of the neighborhood around 20th and Blackwelder.

Mr. Cotter
07-17-2015, 01:24 PM
That might be pushing the cause. Those houses really look out of place. You can build new homes in HP districts. There is one under construction now in Putnam Heights at 36th and Classen that is shaping up nicely.

rezman
07-19-2015, 05:20 PM
There's a reason why these are sometimes called " Hysterical Preservation Districts", because they can become too restrictive for home owners and businesses. Especially if they're not wealthy folks who can afford exact replacements of original design elements.

I've seen an instance in Heritage Hills where a home owner replaced all of their windows with modern low maintainance windows that looked just like those that were original to the house, but were made of modern vinyl or composite type materials and the home owner spent a substantial amount of money on them. However, since they were not wood frame windows made exactly like the originals, they had to be removed and replaced with windows of the hysterical society's approval.

There was another instance where a couple replaced the rotting wood columns in front of their house with a set of period correct columns made of epoxy coated aluminum. From the street, you couldn't tell the differnce. Those folks were also pushed to remove and replace the columns.

Historical preservation is great, but sometimes the preservationists do go overboard .

Urbanized
07-19-2015, 06:16 PM
Did the rules not exist before the homeowners broke them? It wasn't "hysterical preservationists" who took them to task; it was the City of Oklahoma City enforcing laws on its books designed to protect the substantial investments of the OTHERS living in HH.

All exterior changes in HH are subject to design review. There is no way someone who owns a home in HH doesn't know this. Had the homeowner followed the law, City staff would have advised them prior to purchase/installation that the materials were not compatible with district guidelines. The window salesman knew better too.

shawnw
03-28-2021, 08:40 PM
There's not really a dedicated Gatewood thread that I could find. This seems to be maybe the best place for this...

https://twitter.com/GatewoodHDOKC/status/1376166445076381696