View Full Version : Security Camera Installation Service?

MadMonk
07-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Okay, so I've found what I feel is a pretty good deal on a security camera/DVR system, and after inspecting the places in my attic where I will need the cabling run, I don't feel I can accomplish it. I've done a lot of attic cable pulling in my time, but I consider this a step or two above my skill level (plus I currently have a serious back problem). It's going to be a challenging installation for whoever takes the job.

So, can anyone recommend an installer?

BBatesokc
07-07-2015, 08:04 PM
I used Strong 3 AV to install my 16 camera interior/exterior system. They also install entertainment systems and whole home audio. Not sure if they will instal something someone else has purchased.

MadMonk
07-08-2015, 05:50 AM
I used Strong 3 AV to install my 16 camera interior/exterior system. They also install entertainment systems and whole home audio. Not sure if they will instal something someone else has purchased.
Thanks. I am finding that having purchased the system myself poses a problem. Nobody wants to install a system they didn't sell, or they price the labor it so it's cheaper if I just go with the product they sell. I'll look up Strong 3 AV and see what they say.

BBatesokc
07-08-2015, 07:15 AM
I ran into the same issues. I could buy a system much cheaper myself, but I didn't have all the tools for the install and installers wanted too much if you didn't buy their system and they wouldn't warranty their work on a 3rd party system.

Ended up just buying a system from the installer. I like it okay, but I keep having to manually account for an ever changing IP address. I also use Dropcams as a backup. I REALLY like them and wish they sold a complete kit with like 8 cams and one DVR cloud account.

Filthy
07-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Have you already made the purchase?

Outhunder
07-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Funny this thread was started. I'm looking into getting an outdoor camera system, but really know NOTHING about them. I'd like to go as cheap and easy to install as possible since this would be my first go around. But at the same time, want something with night vision and recording. When you say run cable, I was thinking most of the systems are wireless?? Again, know very little at all about them, so any suggestions are welcomed.

Also, what about the $300 to $600 systems at Sam's? Anyone know anything about them?

okatty
07-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't have full system but have two Arlo wireless that work great. Pricey though. Two cams run about 350. No audio which I think you get w Dropcam that Brian mentioned. My main complaint is when using outdoors they burn battery fast if cold. Very easy set up.

Filthy
07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Funny this thread was started. I'm looking into getting an outdoor camera system, but really know NOTHING about them. I'd like to go as cheap and easy to install as possible since this would be my first go around. But at the same time, want something with night vision and recording. When you say run cable, I was thinking most of the systems are wireless?? Again, know very little at all about them, so any suggestions are welcomed.

Also, what about the $300 to $600 systems at Sam's? Anyone know anything about them?

It all depends on exactly what you are wanting to accomplish. There are setups available for every budget, with different options, and features. If you are wanting something very basic, with just observation in mind, a wireless system might be ok. But most custom installers/security experts would tell you that a wired system is what you should install. Obviously the price point is a little higher, but typically they have quite a bit more features, in regards to zoom options, picture quality (True HD) and Capture/DVD options.

The camera systems you asked about at Sams/costco/Bestbuy etc...are all consumer grade systmes built for the masses like you and me...and for the most part..will serve its purpose. If you are wanting a basic system, that records onto a DVR, and has mobile/internet viewing. These will work just fine, but they are not built to last. You might have issues with cameras going in and out, and failing all together after some time in the elements.

Buying a system from a professional installer typically means you are buying a system, that is certified by the manufacturer to only be installed by a licensed security expert. Now this doesn't mean that they are automatically "better," but they typically are built a little more robust, and usually are built with somewhat better components. Most manufacturers make two dofferent versions of the same systems...one to be sold/installed by an certified tech..and one to be sold to the masses on amazon/BestBuy/Sams etc....

Overall, its the same song and dance. With all Electronics, you get what you pay for...and as soon as you buy it...there's something better out there.

MadMonk
07-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Have you already made the purchase?
Yes, but it's still in the box. :D

I've been talking to some network/telecomm guys at my work and a couple of them do this sort of stuff on the side and they have extensive experience with camera installations (but mostly commercial, not residential). They are willing to give it a look and give me a price

BBatesokc
07-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Personally, I think wired is a far better option than wireless for home security. I do the wireless Dropcams, but only as a backup to my wired system.

With a wired system you are not going to have interference issues, lag issues, quality issues, battery issues or lose your cameras when the electricity goes out (or is cut by an intruder) - as long as you attach the main system to a battery backup (as I do).

Also, the system is only truly valuable if you put thought into the quality of the cameras themselves, their placement and securing the DVR.

If your cameras are of low quality then all they'll really tell you is what you already know (you've been robbed/burglarized/vandalized) and you won't be able to make a positive ID. If the cameras are placed wrong then you usually end up only seeing the tops of people's heads. If the DVR is not secured then a burglar simply takes the DVR and you've got nothing.

I use HD cameras in a 100% enclosed housing that cannot be tampered with and will withstand a bullet impact. Many of the one's at Sam's are cameras on an adjustable arm that can easily be tampered with.

I also place cameras at different angles so I get faces and wide angle shots. Put cameras in places where a person will have no choice but to be looking right into the lens.

I also put cameras inside and outside. This is perfect to check things out when you get an alarm call and want to see if anything is going on inside your home. Also records the actual burglary or guests stealing anything during large gatherings.

Our DVR is inside a metal cage that is bolted to studs of our house and inside a room with a solid door that is locked and alarmed.

Also not a bad idea to place a 'dummy' DVR somewhere with some wires going into the wall. This way a burglar takes your dummy and doesn't realize they left the real DVR behind. Had a friends car lot broken into and sure enough, they took the dummy DVR.

Or, like our DVR, it does a simultaneous live backup to the cloud at all times.

Drop cams are great when you want to just keep an eye on things while you are away from the house or to put in a lake cabin or keep an eye on the baby sitter, etc.

The Dropcams are portable (put them anywhere and move them when you want), two way audio and they will send you a text when motion or sound is detected. The down side is they are wireless, dependent on being plugged into a wall outlet, require an internet connection, and recording requires a separate $10/month account for each camera.

Outhunder
07-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info! Looking like I might try a dropcam for now indoors and see how it goes. Could they possibly be used on a front porch if hid?

FighttheGoodFight
07-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I use a Tenvis in doors and on my back porch. Got them for $40 on sale. Pretty nice. They can store on an SD card plus they have mobile viewing.

Not as nice as DropCam I am sure but not bad if you want a cheaper solution.

TENVIS IPROBOT3-BK P2P HD 720P Pan/Tilt Day/Night w/ IR Cut 2-Way Audio Wireless IP Camera - Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881674001)

tfvc.org
07-09-2015, 04:49 PM
My friend bought one of those Samsung systems with the DVR and we put the unit in the attic. I know not good for the heat but also not easy to find either.