View Full Version : Local lakes good for fishing and jet skiing?

BBatesokc
07-05-2015, 07:39 AM
Needing some ideas for any lakes near Edmond (up to 45 minute drive) that are good for both fishing (shore and bass boat) and also good for jet skiing....

Arcadia is the closest to us, but we really don't like that the jet skiing is only allowed in a small area.

So far, Liberty Lake has been our favorite. Its only about a 20 minute drive from our house, the lake is mostly deserted and they allow jet skiing on the entire lake. Plus, the fishing is pretty decent too.

Haven't been by Guthrie Lake yet, but I was told it is smaller than Liberty.

Any other similar places nearby?

kevinpate
07-05-2015, 08:24 AM
I think Draper permits jet skis anywhere on the lake. Not sure what the fishing is like there.

mkjeeves
07-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Same with Overholser. I see PWC and people fishing out there all the time.

ultimatesooner
07-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Ft Cobb is awesome but may be more than you 45 min limit though

ctchandler
07-05-2015, 10:23 AM
How about Lake Carl Blackwell? It's about 48 miles North of me and I am in far Northeast OKC, so it's even closer for you. I just looked and pwcs are allowed with a permit (fee). There are fees for fishing and pwcs on a daily or annual basis. Their web page "http://lcb.okstate.edu/" includes restrictions and fees and other useful information.
C. T.

BBatesokc
07-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Draper is actually on my list and forgot to mention it. I like it okay, but it can get really crowed in the good areas. I had gotten out of the habit of going to Draper because they were closed for so long in the past when they were doing repairs/upgrades.

Don't like Overholser (except for the kayaking in the reserve). Just seems too much of a big open space for us.

I'll have to look in Lake Carl Blackwell - never been there.

Looking for more smaller lakes that are not on most people's mind. I had never even heard of Liberty Lake until we starting going there. Its our favorite so far.

Took the drone last weekend and got this footage of all of us out there doing some old school stand up jet skiing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOG4mK3u2I

ctchandler
07-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Looking for more smaller lakes that are not on most people's mind. I had never even heard of Liberty Lake until we starting going there. Its our favorite so far.

BBatesokc,
I know it's too far, but a "smaller lake" that is not on most people's mind is Hugo lake. It's 215 miles from my home and is one of the nicest, least crowded lakes I have ever been to. I would have to call this reply "Off Topic" since it's not within your selection criteria, but I thought I would mention it anyway.
C. T.

Zuplar
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Draper is actually on my list and forgot to mention it. I like it okay, but it can get really crowed in the good areas. I had gotten out of the habit of going to Draper because they were closed for so long in the past when they were doing repairs/upgrades.

Don't like Overholser (except for the kayaking in the reserve). Just seems too much of a big open space for us.

I'll have to look in Lake Carl Blackwell - never been there.

Took the drone last weekend and got this footage of all of us out there doing some old school stand up jet skiing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOG4mK3u2I

Is that your X-2? I've wanted one of those for awhile. I got a pontoon, but for some more fun I have some JS440's and 550's.

turnpup
07-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Brian, we were in NW Arkansas at a friend's house watching fireworks. They live on a lake, and there's a dam right across from their property where the fireworks are shot from. It's really cool. Anyway, somebody on the other side of the dam was flying a drone to capture the fireworks. It was so cool! I'd love to have seen their footage. The funny thing was that nobody else in our group knew it was a drone. They were all trying to figure out whether it was a helicopter or plane. We were like, "Nope, drone. For sure."

BBatesokc
07-06-2015, 05:15 AM
Brian, we were in NW Arkansas at a friend's house watching fireworks. They live on a lake, and there's a dam right across from their property where the fireworks are shot from. It's really cool. Anyway, somebody on the other side of the dam was flying a drone to capture the fireworks. It was so cool! I'd love to have seen their footage. The funny thing was that nobody else in our group knew it was a drone. They were all trying to figure out whether it was a helicopter or plane. We were like, "Nope, drone. For sure."

Apparently a couple of different people were flying drones over one of the larger Edmond fireworks displays.

I took my drone to a family gathering in Shawnee. The wife's family does a large fireworks show every year on their pasture land.

Don't want to derail the thread so I won't embed the video, but here's a link to it on YouTube.

kevinpate
07-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Not seeing the link though :(

Bellaboo
07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
I've jet skied all over Liberty Lake a few years back. Wasn't crowded and fun.

Klop
07-06-2015, 07:07 PM
I don't think the Guthrie Lake permits jet skis, only Liberty Lake. Both are good for fishing though.

ultimatesooner
07-06-2015, 08:47 PM
love the stand up skis, spent alot of time on 550s and 650s growing up - some of the best times ever

mkjeeves
07-07-2015, 07:11 AM
A possible resource here: Lakes Of Oklahoma Book - Oklahoma Water Resources Board (http://www.owrb.ok.gov/news/publications/lok/lok.php)

The books are out of stock but the interactive map and full maps might help get you started finding what's out there.