View Full Version : Changes at the OK State Fair

Patrick
09-13-2005, 11:06 AM
I happened to drive down to the fair grounds yesterday to look at the new roof on the International Building. As many of you may know, the International Building no longer has it's famed open air roof like it had before. Because it was hard to heat and cool, and because maintenance was always a pain, the state fair decided to bust the bubble and put up a real roof on the International Building. The building obviously doesn't have it's distinctive look like it used to. What's your opinion on the change?

Also, the monorail is no longer in place.

Patrick
09-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Personally, I'll miss the unique appearance of the old roof, but I suppose for useablility, the State Fair made a wise choice.

Also, I would've liked to have seen the State Fair with a new state of the art monorail similar to that found at Walt Disney World.

MadMonk
09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I just read about the new roof recently. I wasn't aware they were changing it until then. I think I'll miss it. It was unique. Are there any pics of the new roof available?

I read that they also changed the doors since there doesn't have to have a higher air pressure inside to keep the roof up. That part I'm not going to miss. It was always a pain getting in and out.

I won't miss the monorail but, like you, I would've liked to have seen a modern replacement for it.

Is it me or does it seem like there are more attractions listed for the fair this year?

Patrick
09-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I think the fair is getting more attractions again. Seems like when Skip Wagner came in a few years ago, he really decreased the size of the fair. The new fair director is slowly returning the fair to what is once was just a few years ago.

Keith
09-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I happened to drive down to the fair grounds yesterday to look at the new roof on the International Building. As many of you may know, the International Building no longer has it's famed open air roof like it had before. Because it was hard to heat and cool, and because maintenance was always a pain, the state fair decided to bust the bubble and put up a real roof on the International Building. The building obviously doesn't have it's distinctive look like it used to. What's your opinion on the change?

Also, the monorail is no longer in place.
Man, I must be living a sheltered life. I did not know that the International Building got a new roof. I go by the state fair quite often, and I ride my bike over there sometimes on my lunch hour, and I didn't even notice it.

I certainly won't miss the pressure doors that were on that building, however, I will miss the monorail. Each year, my daughter and I would ride on it so that we could relax and just talk.

I'll be out there again this year, volunteering for the Okla. City Police Dept. in their dispatch office at the safety center. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that have been made.

Patrick
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Here are some pics of the new roof:

http://www.okstatefairpark.com/press/ConstructionPics/Sep5_ITC-2.jpg

http://www.okstatefairpark.com/press/ConstructionPics/1ITCAug23.jpg

Without any roof:
http://www.okstatefairpark.com/press/ConstructionPics/ITC%20no%20top2.jpg

http://www.okstatefairpark.com/press/ConstructionPics/ITC%201%20May%2020.jpg

MadMonk
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey, I like that! It looks pretty sharp, especially with the new paint.

Patrick
09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
It's now simply a natural tan color instead of the orange it used to be.

swake
09-14-2005, 09:32 AM
How big is this building, and WHY didn't it have a roof?

Patrick
09-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Oh, it had a roof. It was just a pressurized inflated roof ("Bubble-Top Roof"), similar to what you'd see at some domes around the country.

I believe the International Building is the largest exhibit building at State Fair Park. You can find the dimensions here: http://www.okstatefairpark.com/bookingvendor/
This pic should give you a better idea of how big the building is:
http://www.okstatefairpark.com/press/ConstructionPics/Sep5_ITC-1.jpg

Patrick
09-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I couldn't find a for-real picture of the old roof, but maybe this map from last year will give you an idea. The International Trade Center Building is Building Number 11.

http://www.oklahomastatefair.com/images/map_cf_2004WEB.jpg

Doug Loudenback
09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the info and pics, Patrick! Good job!

The "new" building looks good to me!

karlanee
09-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I too think the new roof looks great. It won't be as easy to tell people - it's in the "Bubble Building" (my girls name for it), but it sure looks nice.

As far as the monorail - I went on it twice I think. It was scary both times. Felt like it was old enough that you just might fall off the side. LOL

Patrick
09-14-2005, 02:00 PM
In regards to the new roof...I will admit, the old roof was much more attractive....definitely unique. There's nothing really attractive about the new roof. But, I suppose it makes the building more useable, which is always a good thing for the fair grounds.

The monorail would've been nice, had the Fairgrounds updated it, and refurbished the cars. Since they weren't planning to do that, scrapping it was probably the best option. Indeed as old as it was, it wasn't an asset to the fair.

Personally, I'd like to see the Fair build a new grandstand.

I hate to say this, but we need to look to Tulsa for a nice fairpark. They've invested quite a bit of money into their fairgrounds over the past few years, and it shows.

swake
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
OKC needs some bigger exhibit halls then, I have only been to the OKC fair once years ago but it seemed about the same size as the Tulsa fair without Bells. But OKC couldn't possibly have as many exhibits with that little amount of space and that makes no sense. Seems like you are leaving some money on table with limited space like that.

Are there plans for bigger buildings with your new bond?

swake
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
In regards to the new roof...I will admit, the old roof was much more attractive....definitely unique. There's nothing really attractive about the new roof. But, I suppose it makes the building more useable, which is always a good thing for the fair grounds.

The monorail would've been nice, had the Fairgrounds updated it, and refurbished the cars. Since they weren't planning to do that, scrapping it was probably the best option. Indeed as old as it was, it wasn't an asset to the fair.

Personally, I'd like to see the Fair build a new grandstand.

I hate to say this, but we need to look to Tulsa for a nice fairpark. They've invested quite a bit of money into their fairgrounds over the past few years, and it shows.

Expo Square has made a lot of improvements but they have quite a bit more left to do with the money from 2025.

Also, Expo square looks like they are going to have a lot more space in the next couple of years as it looks like Bell's will most likly be moving to the Riverwalk in Jenks and the Drillers may well be getting a new stadium either downtown or on the river.

Decious
09-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Swake, post some pics if you get the time. I've never seen or been to Tulsa's fair. If there's a website, I'll take that too. Thnx.

swake
09-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I have no idea how to post pics here, so you are going to have to surf.

Expo square site:
http://www.exposquare.com/

Improvements to expo square:
http://www.exposquare.com/renovations.htm
http://www.vision2025.info/category.php?mode=&category=exposquare

If you look at the site maps, you can see how much more land they will have if Bell’s moves to the river in Jenks, which really seems like it’s going to happen over the next two-three years.

The Tulsa State Fair:
http://www.tulsastatefair.com/

Expo Square if you haven’t been there is in the middle of a midtown neighborhood just south of TU. There is no room to grow, at all. And Expo Square is unlike Fair Park in that there is more than just the fairgrounds.

There’s first the Expo Building, which used to be the largest free-span building in the world, it’s almost half a million square feet by itself, with no indoor columns. Then there is Bell’s amusement park, which is pretty bad, but they have been in like a ten year battle with the neighborhood over noise, and now it looks like they are moving to west bank of the river at 101st in Jenks just south of the Aquarium. There also is Big Splash, which is like White Water, Drillers Stadium, The Expo Square Pavilion (a great art deco muti-use arena, where Tulsa’s NBDL team is going to play for now), and Fair Meadows Race Track. Oh, and a Tulsa County Health Department Office, an off-track betting site, a hotel, and a National Guard armory. Then you have the midway, all the barns and all the normal fair stuff. And this is all packed into a quarter square mile in midtown.

Decious
09-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Looks great dude. I bet a good number of people from Arkansas, Kansas, and Mizzou show up as well as Oklahomans. Thnx for the links.

Doug Loudenback
09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Swake,

If you want to link to images which are already on the internet, use this method:

http//www.xxx.com/directory/specificfile.jpg

or elabortions on that theme, for example. For the target file, use the full url for where that file is located.

Hope this helps.

swake
09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
thanks for the help, let's see if this works

Expo Square Map
http://www.vision2025.info/includes/categories/exposquare/projects/pavilionmodification/bigimage4.jpg

Expo Square Pavilion
http://www.vision2025.info/includes/categories/exposquare/projects/pavilionmodification/bigimage3.jpg

Barn
http://www.vision2025.info/includes/categories/exposquare/projects/livestockarena/bigimage1.jpg

BDP
09-15-2005, 04:58 PM
That pavillion looks nice.

Patrick
09-15-2005, 10:45 PM
The barns at the Tulsa State Fair look very nice and upscale as well. They make our barns look like hick trailor trash.

Patrick
09-15-2005, 10:49 PM
swake, it's hard to compare the Tulsa Fairgrounds to the OKC Fairgrounds. The Expo Building is basically the only exhibit building you guys have. At our fairgrounds, the International Trade Center Building is the largest expo building, but it is only one out of many expo buildings. Simply, our exhibits are split up in different buildings, often based on themes. For example, we have cars in one building, Arts and Crafts in another. Etc. I'd say we probably have 8-10 different buildings (Oklahoma Building- consisting of two connected buildings, Centennial Building, Modern Living Building, Arts and Crafts Building, Travel and Transportation Building, Gardens Building, International Trade Center, Carriage Hall, etc.) Basically, we have a campus with different exhibit buildings, instead of having all of the exhibits lined up under one large roof.

jbrown84
09-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Haha. I remember going to Big Spash. We used to call it "Little Spit". You think White Water is bad?

MadMonk
09-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, I went to the Fair today. It was so crowded. I was there from 10:30 to around 2:30. We spent most of our time in Kiddieland, but went through most of the buildings and even took in the bear show. One thing I noticed is that, although the Int'l building looks nice, the inside seems so much smaller now. Its a lot darker in there now too. I miss the light airy-ness of the place.

Good stuff:
- Mini-doughnuts. These little jewels are dusted with sugar & cinnamon and are awesome!
- "Fat balls". These are deep-fried pastries with various fillings to choose from. Chocolate, Bavarian cream, cherry, lemon. I had one with cherry and Bavarian cream. Great stuff!

Not so good stuff:
- Kiddieland. Even my 3yr old was bored after the 3rd ride. It seems that 90% of the rides there consist of going around circles in cars that only differ in their outward appearances. Bees, Hang-gliders, Jeeps, Whales, etc. The best ride was in the race cars that actually whip you around a little.

- Crowds! I ran over a guy's foot with my kids stroller because he jumped in front of me and I didn't have time to stop. I apologized, he just shook his head. Only the fact that my kids were present kept me from telling him what a dumba$$ he was. Five minutes later, my foot was was run over by another person with a stroller. No big deal, but I didn't even get a "sorry". She must have thought it was a speed bump or something. :) Also, I just don't get why someone would stop their entire group to chat directly in front of entrance and exit doors. Get the hell outta the way!

All in all, its not a bad fair so far. We'll probably go back next weekend; this time in the evening.

Keith
09-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I was at the fair yesterday from 5 pm. until 1:30 am. this morning. I worked in the safety center in the police command center dispatch office, and watched as they brought in men and women that they arrested for various things.

There were at least 10 people that were brought in for public intoxication. They took them over to detox. There were those that were arrested for underage drinking, fighting, assault, interfering with police investigations, and possession of drugs. They also arrested a vendor for selling alcohol to a minor. All of these were transported to the county jail.

From 5 pm until around 10 pm, it was rather quiet, except for the few public drunks they brought in. After 10 pm., things really started hopping. They finally shut the ferris wheel down at 12:15, which is the sign that they were closing down the fair for the night.

I'll be back there Tuesday evening at 5 PM., working in dispatch again. Friday evening, I'll be back there at 5 PM., working in the booking area, where they pat down the suspects after they have been arrested.

All in all, it's actually pretty safe at the fair this year.

jbrown84
09-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Nobody's been stabbed yet? That's good.

Karried
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I just got back from the fair -started with $200 - left with $40 - started at 10:30am left at 9:00pm - the crowds really changed as the evening progressed. As I was just there with my kids and mom.. I didn't feel safe as the evening wore on. There seemed to be a criminal element feel to the crowds the later it got - I noticed quite a few groups of people who seemed hell bent on being nuisances. It was Saturday night though and during the day it was fine.

Other than that, we had a blast! It was a little pricey. Four wristbands at $25.00 each, but that is the only way to go, the tickets are worthless. You would go through 20 bucks in 10 minutes and ride maybe 2 -3 rides.. this way we rode rides all day over and over. It was fun, of course, I was petrified that the bolts screwed in by a traveling carnie would come undone while I was 20 feet in the air going 90 miles an hour, but alas, we survived.

The food I thought was 'okay' .. I tried an Indian Taco but I guess I had really high expectations. It was really a glorified pita with chili beans and lots of shredded cheese and lettuce... but still, not bad. Later in the night I had a Turkey leg.. that was good although I couldn't help but think I paid 6 bucks for a leg?? Sheesh, my whole Thanksgiving turkey cost 6 bucks, ha,ha - it was the ambience .. I didn't have a funnel cake although I looked for it. Just never got around to it.

The kids loved it. The game area is a rip off - dropped 10.00 bucks in about 1 minute - no prize. Fun anyway.

We watched the Native American dancers and the wood/logging show.. watched the pig races..and saw a chick hatch. The displays and animals were nicely done. One lady screamed at us not to touch the horse because it bites and didn't we see the sign on the door ??? duh, I always put my hand out to a biting horse - 'my what big teeth you have, here's my thumb' - dumb broad..if we would have seen your microscopic sign, we wouldn't have come near your horse...

anyway, other than that the day was really fun and the kids loved every second. They both got pocket knives ( because as we all know, every kid needs a sharp implement to play with) and laser glass souvenirs.

The weather was gorgeous, the people interesting to watch and the displays very well presented. I'd do it again just to see the kids enjoying it so much... next time, I'll hunt down a funnel cake or at least a cinnamon roll.

metro
04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed lately. Looks like all but two of the old tin buildings that were blue/white striped are now painted a tan color as of 3 days ago. Also looks like the roof is off another building. Must be ready to put a new green metal roof on? I love the more environmentally friendly look they are going with. You can see the master plans for the State Fairgrounds at www.fsb-ae.com

Now, I wish we would raise our hotel/motel tax again to around 8 to 10 cents on the dollar like most large cities do. We are currently charging way under the national average. We could use the extra money to fund public transportation. This is not money out of locals pocketbooks but mainly tourists.

Patrick
04-25-2006, 03:41 PM
I looked on the site metro. Where are the plans? I couldn't find them.

metro
04-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Looks like they may have moved it. If you skip the intro and then click Projects and then the little "planning" icon, you can scroll down and see a small master layout photo. That is all I can find at the current moment. I was informed that was the site for the master plan. I just wanted to inform everyone that might not get a chance to drive by, info on the new round of changes taking place at the fairgrounds. Stay tuned for more.

metro
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I noticed another weird observement while driving down 10th street. There are still the 4 tall, large beams that used to hold up the old scoreboard from All-Sports Stadium stuck in the ground. There has been nothing attached to them for over a year. It baffles me as to why they are still there with all the improvements that have been going on lately? They recently just put up a nice iron fence that borders the now parking lot(formerly ballpark) site.

metro
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Dear xxxxxx:

Good Evening. We are in receipt of your recent e-mail. Those large I-beams were left in place so that we could mount a large "reader board" sign including an EMC (electronic message center). We are in the process of shopping that sponsorship package. It is a very expensive package therefore, it is taking a while to secure the deal. I hope that, in the end, you will be pleased with what we ultimately do in that area. Thank you for your interest in State Fair Park. We are in the process of creating a 21st Century entertainment and exhibition complex, second to none, for the people of Oklahoma.

I hope that this answers your question. If not, please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions.

Take care.

J. Scott Munz
Assistant General Manager
Marketing & Public Relations
Oklahoma State Fair, Inc.

ETL
08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear that he wants us to be the best in the nation. I think that is what was said.