View Full Version : Bob Barry Jr has died

Pages : [1] 2

GoOKC1991
06-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Can't post a link from my phone, but it's all over Twitter. Apparently a motercycle accident.

RIP

John1744
06-20-2015, 05:58 PM
It's being whispered on Twitter that Bob Barry Jr has passed. I hope it's not true. :(

okatty
06-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Very very sad.

Pete
06-20-2015, 06:14 PM
It's being said it was a motorcycle accident.

Pete
06-20-2015, 06:18 PM
KFORsports ‏@KFORsports 2m2 minutes ago
It is with deep sadness that we mourn the loss of our friend and collegegue Bob Barry,Jr. @bbjsports

Martin
06-20-2015, 06:31 PM
KFOR Sports Director Bob Barry Jr. Dies In Motorcycle Crash - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/29369511/kfor-sports-director-bob-barry-jr-dies-in-motorcycle-crash)

Tydude
06-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Who is going to replace him on Sports Morning

GoThunder
06-20-2015, 06:42 PM
This is so sad.... Listened to him on WWLS almost daily. Seemed like such a good and genuine person.

silvergrove
06-20-2015, 07:04 PM
This is so sad.... Listened to him on WWLS almost daily. Seemed like such a good and genuine person.

He and his dad were.

zookeeper
06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Who is going to replace him on Sports Morning

The man has just been gone a couple of hours - and you're asking this? Seriously?
I am more concerned about four children who have lost their father the day before Father's Day.
Godspeed, Bob Barry...peace to Gina and the kids.

gopokes88
06-20-2015, 09:11 PM
How very sad. May he RIP and prayers for his family.

td25er
06-20-2015, 10:01 PM
Not a fan of his at all, but this is sad to hear. Motorcycles are dangerous. At least with cars you stand a chance...

Just the facts
06-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Well this sucks.

Jeepnokc
06-20-2015, 10:14 PM
So sad. Okc has lost a legend. He was 58 but I had impression his kids were still fairly young. Anyone know how old his children are? RIP BBJ

mugofbeer
06-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Im 50 and cant remember a time without a Bob Barry Jr or Sr. doing sports on channel 4.

Story sez he ran into a car that made an illegal u-turn driven by an unlicensed person in possession of cocaine. This really pisses me off.

Urbanized
06-20-2015, 10:30 PM

He was totally WYSIWYG. I worked "with" him about 15 years ago for around a year. I say "with" because it consisted mostly of passing him in the hall sometimes at the Sports Animal. It wasn't even his primary job, and he had zero reason to know me or what I did, much less my name. But somehow, he knew it. And dude was ALWAYS cheerful, friendly and made you feel like a million bucks. He always had something to say that made you feel like a snazzy dresser, or cool, or whatever. He just seemed incredibly nice, and genuine. It really sucks. RIP.

Dave Cook
06-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Im 50 and cant remember a time without a Bob Barry Jr or Sr. doing sports on channel 4.

Story sez he ran into a car that made an illegal u-turn driven by an unlicensed person in possession of cocaine. This really pisses me off.

Before this turns into an 'anti-illegal immigrant' thread....I'd like to say I'm equally angered about him riding a stupid motor scooter (not motorcycle) without a helmet.

As much as we love ya, BBJ, that just wasn't smart at all.

ljbab728
06-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Before this turns into an 'anti-illegal immigrant' thread....I'd like to say I'm equally angered about him riding a stupid motor scooter (not motorcycle) without a helmet.

As much as we love ya, BBJ, that just wasn't smart at all.

I've seen nothing so far that says the car driver was an illegal immigrant so I'm not sure what that point is. While I was never as fond of him as I was his father, I think he did a great job and I can understand why the tributes are pouring in from those who knew him.

SouthsideSooner
06-21-2015, 12:38 AM
A tragic loss. A true gentleman and genuinely good guy. He was certainly his fathers son. Prayers go out to his family.

Dave Cook
06-21-2015, 12:49 AM
I've seen nothing so far that says the car driver was an illegal immigrant so I'm not sure what that point is. While I was never as fond of him as I was his father, I think he did a great job and I can understand why the tributes are pouring in from those who knew him.

Some clown on the Sooner board is irate saying the driver was an illegal alien. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

SoonerQueen
06-21-2015, 01:28 AM
I haven't posted in awhile, but I am so sad about the death of BBJ. I listened to him on the radio most every day, and watched him on KFOR. When you let these people into your home and you listen to them on the radio, they become like friends in a way. I grew up watching his dad, and thought it was so cool that BBJ followed in his footsteps. I am going to really miss him. It's a tragic loss and such a sudden loss.My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife,their children, his family and co workers, and all of us who knew him, if only on local media.
Here is a little info about the wreck and arrest of the driver.
OKLAHOMA CITY– KFOR Sports Director Bob Barry, Jr died in a crash Saturday afternoon in Northwest Oklahoma City.

Police say the accident happened near Memorial and North May Avenue around 4:00 p.m.

Barry was riding a motor scooter southbound on North May when police say Gustavo Gutierrez-Castillo, 26, unlicensed driver made an illegal U-Turn in front of him.

He hit the driver’s side of the car and was thrown over 20 feet.

Barry was not wearing a helmet.

He was rushed to OU Trauma Center where he was pronounced dead.

Police have arrested the driver of the car for manslaughter, driving without a state license and causing an injury accident. Police also say he was in possession of cocaine.

theparkman81
06-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Very sad, I grew up watching him and his dad, listen to him sometimes on the Sports Animal, Oklahoma sports television and radio will never be the same, RIP BBJ.

BB37
06-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Very sad. I never met him but BBJ always seemed cheerful and upbeat.

This will be the first time in over 50 years that a Barry won't be delivering sports at Channel 4.

Pete
06-21-2015, 08:47 AM
I didn't realize until I looked it up that Oklahoma law only requires a helmet for those 17 and under.

I also didn't realize that states are split about 50/50 when it comes to helmet laws.

There has been a helmet law for so long in California (1992) I didn't even know that people still rode without them.

Dustin
06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
I didn't realize until I looked it up that Oklahoma law only requires a helmet for those 17 and under.

I also didn't realize that states are split about 50/50 when it comes to helmet laws.

There has been a helmet law for so long in California (1992) I didn't even know that people still rode without them.

It's against the law to not wear your seatbelt, it should be the same for helmets and motorcyclists.

okatty
06-21-2015, 09:58 AM
BBJ was a good guy. Didn't know him well but had met him a couple of times both personally and professionally and he seemed down to earth, great sense of humor and just personable. Really feel for his wife and children especially for this to occur on FD weekend. Im sure it will be a very somber Monday on the Sports Animal.

Mel
06-21-2015, 01:48 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family in this horrible time.

gopokes88
06-21-2015, 02:46 PM

An attorney friend of mine said they hold you without bail for 3 reasons
Super wealthy-flight risk
Heinous crime that you are likely to repeat.
Or you're an illegal immigrant.

It may not be confirmed but its reasonable to infer he's probably an illegal.

ljbab728
06-21-2015, 08:42 PM
An attorney friend of mine said they hold you without bail for 3 reasons
Super wealthy-flight risk
Heinous crime that you are likely to repeat.
Or you're an illegal immigrant.

It may not be confirmed but its reasonable to infer he's probably an illegal.

Actually, I did hear now on the news that there are thinking he may be illegal and are checking on that. It still is of little relevance though to this tragic death.

Bellaboo
06-22-2015, 07:23 AM
Actually, I did hear now on the news that there are thinking he may be illegal and are checking on that. It still is of little relevance though to this tragic death.

They are now saying there is a possibility of cocaine in his system, which would lead to further charges.

okatty
06-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Lots of nice tributes and stories about BBJ on Sports Animal today. I guess there was a tribute show of some sort yesterday. You can tell these people he worked with really loved him.

Jeepnokc
06-22-2015, 08:00 AM
They are now saying there is a possibility of cocaine in his system, which would lead to further charges.

According to the story on KFOR last night, they found cocaine on him when they were booking him into jail. Thus, they took him for a blood test. Will be interesting as if the officers thought he was under the influence of the cocaine or any other substance based on physical indicators, they would have taken him for a blood test before booking him in. If I understand the timeline right, they had already been at the hospital for medical clearance before taking him to jail which is standard operating procedure.

SoonerDave
06-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Lots of nice tributes and stories about BBJ on Sports Animal today. I guess there was a tribute show of some sort yesterday. You can tell these people he worked with really loved him.

The Morning Animals were on from 11AM to a little after 1PM yesterday and offered what they called a "celebration of life" show on behalf of BBJ. They played some show clips, took some calls, shared some personal experiences. It's unfortunate that it happened in these circumstances, but it's nice to hear the real, human side of these people we hear on the air arguing about the inane aspects of equally inane sports, to hear them share the very real emotions they've experienced as a result of the loss of someone who wasn't just a valued professional peer, but obviously a valued friend and co-worker as well.

We all tend to take sports talk *waaaay* too seriously, and I think one thing that's emerged from all this is that BBJ was well aware of the fact that sports really was just sports, but its value was in the way it served as a cathartic response to all of the truly serious aspects of real life we face day to day, We take out our frustrations on our favorite or least favorite team, or coach, or game, because we really know it's all meaningless, while the value is in the people with whom we share them. For BBJ, he just happened to get to cover sports for a living, and share it with untold thousands through the TV and radio, cultivating relationships that transcended sports with untold thousands over his career. And that's what we'll miss the most.

jn1780
06-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Bob Barry Jr actually survived a close call on his motor scoter back in 2012 that sent him to the ICU. At that point he said his family had talked him into giving it up. I guess the love of riding was too much to give up. Its kind of shocking that he didn't start wearing a helmet after that incident.

rezman
06-22-2015, 11:11 AM
That was when he was test riding a scooter and he dropped it after pulling out of the dealership and broke his collar bone. His family wanted him to forget about scooters back then.

okatty
06-22-2015, 11:17 AM
I rarely listen to sports radio at work but today is that exception. Some really good stories and things being told about BBJ , Bob Sr and even Channel 4. The Linda fart joke, BBJ streaking in Norman, all sorts of good stuff to celebrate his time.

gopokes88
06-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Agreed. And I don't think it's a racist thing. I think the outrage is more because he shouldn't have been on the road at all. For example if this was a white guy driving with a suspended license, the outrage and anger would be the same.

The YOU DONT KNOW THAT, YOU HAVE NO PROOF line of thinking is getting tiresome. I don't need proof I have logic and deductive reasoning. Using those someone can come to a conclusion and say it with some certainty. Like the Clinton foundation. We don't have definitive proof she was taking bribes (yet) but we do have a mountain of evidence and a ton of smoke.

Pete
06-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind there are lots of reasons for not having a valid and active license other than being an illegal immigrant.

White Peacock
06-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Driver arrested after crash kills KFOR Sports Director Bob Barry, Jr | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2015/06/21/new-details-driver-arrested-after-crash-kills-kfor-sports-director-bob-barry-jr/)

We have learned that the man has been placed on an immigration hold.

Outhunder
06-22-2015, 04:02 PM
I feel so bad for his family. I can't even imagine. I don't understand why he didn't have a helmet on. And I don't understand why it matters if the other man is an illegal immigrant.

Cocaine
06-22-2015, 04:54 PM
It seriously doesn't matter that he was here illegally. I did see one news report when this was the first time he's been arrested (correct me if I'm wrong). May BBJ rest in peace.

Video Expert
06-22-2015, 05:22 PM
It seriously doesn't matter that he was here illegally. I did see one news report when this was the first time he's been arrested (correct me if I'm wrong). May BBJ rest in peace.

Does it matter that he did not possess a driver's license? If not, why does the law require a valid one to drive in our state? Since he didn't have a driver's license, he should not have been driving in the first place. And IF he was in the country illegally, then by law, he SHOULDN'T have been in the US to begin with. And if this person wasn't in the U.S., then it is a stone cold fact that he would not have been in Oklahoma City on North May Ave. making an illegal U-Turn on Saturday afternoon.

Rest in Peace, BBJ.

Dave Cook
06-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Does it matter that he did not possess a driver's license? If not, why does the law require a valid one to drive in our state? Since he didn't have a driver's license, he should not have been driving in the first place. And IF he was in the country illegally, then by law, he SHOULDN'T have been in the US to begin with. And if this person wasn't in the U.S., then it is a stone cold fact that he would not have been in Oklahoma City on North May Ave. making an illegal U-Turn on Saturday afternoon.

And if Bob had not been riding that ridiculous motor scooter (what is this? Sicily?) and had the intelligence to wear a damned helmet.....he wouldn't have run into an idiot making a U-turn.

LET'S ALL LET THE ANGER OUT!!!

RIP, BBJ

ctchandler
06-22-2015, 09:05 PM
And if Bob had not been riding that ridiculous motor scooter (what is this? Sicily?) and had the intelligence to wear a damned helmet.....he wouldn't have run into an idiot making a U-turn.

RIP, BBJ

Dave,
Although I am a believer in wearing helmets, your statement is a little ridiculous. With or without the helmet, the accident would have happened. Would he have survived with a helmet, I don't know, but the event would still have taken place. Maybe you are being facetious, but somehow I missed it.
C. T.

Achilleslastand
06-22-2015, 09:09 PM

RIP, BBJ

So we are comparing someone not wearing a helmet{legal but not wise} to someone who has violated several laws including being here illegally.
Nice........

Dave Cook
06-22-2015, 10:14 PM
So we are comparing someone not wearing a helmet{legal but not wise} to someone who has violated several laws including being here illegally.
Nice........

That's not what I'm doing at all. Rather, I'd hate to see this thread dissolve into a 'let's hate Mexicans' thread instead of remembering the great life of Bob Barry Jr.

sgt. pepper
06-23-2015, 06:40 AM
As far as I know, BBJ was doing everything legally, the other guy, Mexican, Russian, Martian, whatever he is, was doing everything illegal.....PERIOD. There is no guarantee if BBJ was wearing a helmet, he would be alive today. Accidents happen, if this criminal was abiding the law, there is a good chance BBJ would be still working, smiling and making people feel good. I feel for his family, he seemed like such a nice person.

David
06-23-2015, 06:52 AM
From the description of it I heard at the office yesterday from someone who drove by the accident, a helmet probably wouldn't have helped at all.

Outhunder
06-23-2015, 08:10 AM
From the description of it I heard at the office yesterday from someone who drove by the accident, a helmet probably wouldn't have helped at all.

Maybe so. Still, it's common sense to wear a helmet. Especially on one of the busiest streets in okc. He had no control over the man who made the u turn, but he had full control to put on a helmet.

hoya
06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
This is the big reason why I don't ride motorcycles anymore. Too easy to get killed when it's not your fault.

You just have to go to the "bad drivers in OKC" thread to see that people here make illegal turns all the time. The other driver may have been breaking the law (we've heard the allegations, but seen no actual evidence yet), but none of the laws he broke were malicious. It's not like he was driving around thinking 'I'm gonna kill me a sportscaster'.

Still, it's a tragedy. Why couldn't God just have taken Traber?

Pete
06-23-2015, 10:36 AM
I coach a large triathlon team and a big part of what we do is long bike rides on busy roads. Just took a group of largely newbies out on PCH for the first time this Saturday.

Although California law does not require adults to wear a helmet on bicycles (it does for motorized bikes) we absolutely will not let anyone ride without a helmet. In fact, we get on them if they even ride their bike from their car to the meet-up spot without head protection.

We always have people go down and I've seen several helmets incur enough damage that they had to be trashed. But in all cases, the rider experienced no real head trauma.

I simply can't imagine not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle or scooter. With everything we now know and the great science that has gone into helmets, they represent the single best thing you can do for your own safety.

And I can tell you that when the law changed here in 1992 to require motorcycle riders to wear them, there was almost an instant culture shift and not only was the law very much followed, but you then saw very few people on pedal bikes without helmets.

It's very similar to seatbelt laws. I'm old enough to remember when there was only lap belts and most people didn't wear them. Now, it's just a habit to buckle up, regardless if you are the one driving or not.

I'm all for personal freedoms but there are situations like helmets (and smoking and texting while driving) where the government can easily shift societal norms for the betterment of everyone.

And BTW, since we all bear the expense of health care in one way or another, forcing people to be more responsible has positive economic impacts as well.

SoonerDave
06-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Still, it's a tragedy. Why couldn't God just have taken Traber?

Given the circumstances, that's a pathetically inappropriate comment right now, no matter how much you may hate the guy.

SouthsideSooner
06-23-2015, 10:26 PM
This has now hit the national news and the sound bite I just heard said the man is an illegal alien and that the charge could be murder...

ljbab728
06-23-2015, 10:39 PM
This has now hit the national news and the sound bite I just heard said the man is an illegal alien and that the charge could be murder...

Unless they change their mind, this is not currently a murder charge.

Man charged in accident that killed longtime Oklahoma sportscaster | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/man-charged-in-accident-that-killed-longtime-oklahoma-sportscaster/article/5429503)

The driver blamed in the death of longtime Oklahoma sportscaster Bob Barry Jr. was charged Tuesday with a felony driving offense with a maximum punishment of five years in prison.

Gustavo Castillo Gutierrez, 26, of Bethany, was also charged with a felony cocaine offense with a maximum prison sentence of 10 years.

Oklahoma City police originally had arrested Gutierrez on a manslaughter complaint. He instead was charged in Oklahoma County District Court with one count of causing an accident while driving a vehicle without a valid driver’s license resulting in death and one count of possession of a controlled dangerous substance.

SouthsideSooner
06-23-2015, 10:40 PM
So I checked Newsok and found this...

"Oklahoma City police originally had arrested Gutierrez on a manslaughter complaint. He instead was charged in Oklahoma County District Court with one count of causing an accident while driving a vehicle without a valid driver’s license resulting in death and one count of possession of a controlled dangerous substance.

Gutierrez would have been charged with negligent homicide — a misdemeanor punishable by no more than a year in jail — if he’d had a valid driver’s license"

Man charged in accident that killed longtime Oklahoma sportscaster | News OK (http://newsok.com/man-charged-in-accident-that-killed-longtime-oklahoma-sportscaster/article/5429503)

SoonerQueen
06-24-2015, 01:02 AM
Please pray for this beautiful family at this sad time.

borchard
06-24-2015, 11:15 AM
News9 is now reporting that the suspect had been deported (3) times previous to this accident

Dave Cook
06-24-2015, 11:43 AM
News9 is now reporting that the suspect had been deported (3) times previous to this accident

Oh no. Now you've done it. Here come the right-wing, Fox Snooze morons calling for a ban on all illegals.

I don't know what's nuttier: the left wing loons calling for a ban on guns or the right wing nuts calling for a ban on illegals. Neither seems realistic.

Outhunder
06-24-2015, 11:53 AM

Irrelevant....

Rover
06-24-2015, 01:15 PM

So, are you saying all people who kill people in accidents should be deported to their family's country of origin?

Or, are you just implying that all or most people who die in accidents are the result of being hit by illegal aliens?

Just what is your point?