View Full Version : Property lines

Celebrator
06-17-2015, 10:55 PM
In connection with my recent request for a fencing company recommendation, now I need someone to verify my property lines before this fence is installed. Do I call a surveyor or is there another way to get that information verified and marked by someone? I just want to make sure the adjacent property owner can't come back after the installation disputing its placement.

Thanks.

Teo9969
06-17-2015, 11:10 PM
You should have a survey in your closing documents for the property.

Paseofreak
06-18-2015, 01:37 AM
But those physical locations should be verified and clearly marked by a surveyor. Less than $250. Call the guys that did the latest survey to generate your closing documents.

rezman
06-18-2015, 05:05 AM
But those physical locations should be verified and clearly marked by a surveyor. Less than $250. Call the guys that did the latest survey to generate your closing documents.

That depends on where they have to start their survey, and the size of the property. If there is no clear starting point on the block, or close to the subject property, and the surveyor has to pull the pin from the nearest main thoroughfare and work his way back to the property, it can get costly. Especially if the terrain is rough.

When we had our acreage, we lucked out and physically found the pins on the four corners of our property, plus two others that ran off of our south property line to make up boundaries for two adjacent properties to the south. This saved us a pretty good chunk of $. That same south property owner later on wound up having a survey done on his property, which included our south property line, and it wound up being right on the nut.

I do know that GPS has made a big difference in how they get it done.

oklip955
06-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Speaking of property lines, I've owned my acreage home for 32 yrs. When I bought it, I bought 10 ac from a couple that had 20ac. After the survey and closing, the husband built the fence around the 10ac based on the survey stakes. I paid him for the work and we were both happy with it. Now 32 yrs later, the husband died and wife was in poor health and sold the property. The buyers survier could not complete the survey work due to weather, large back log. That buyer had her husband die and she quickly put it back on the market. New buyer got the survey done. The new survey is showing the boundery fence 10 over on their side and now want to rebuild the fence. Also the back fence that has been there many years before I bought the land is shown to be 10 ft off. (my neighbor is next to me on the north side) Any ideas about paying to have another survey done. There are front pins which both surveys show the same. its showing off as the line goes to the back of the property. Any ideas?

OkiePoke
06-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Speaking of property lines, I've owned my acreage home for 32 yrs. When I bought it, I bought 10 ac from a couple that had 20ac. After the survey and closing, the husband built the fence around the 10ac based on the survey stakes. I paid him for the work and we were both happy with it. Now 32 yrs later, the husband died and wife was in poor health and sold the property. The buyers survier could not complete the survey work due to weather, large back log. That buyer had her husband die and she quickly put it back on the market. New buyer got the survey done. The new survey is showing the boundery fence 10 over on their side and now want to rebuild the fence. Also the back fence that has been there many years before I bought the land is shown to be 10 ft off. (my neighbor is next to me on the north side) Any ideas about paying to have another survey done. There are front pins which both surveys show the same. its showing off as the line goes to the back of the property. Any ideas?

There is a law, I believe, about if you take care of the land for x amount of years, it basically becomes yours. Might check into that...?

Celebrator
06-18-2015, 08:17 AM

Thank you.

Roger S
06-18-2015, 08:22 AM
There is a law, I believe, about if you take care of the land for x amount of years, it basically becomes yours. Might check into that...?

It's called Adverse Possession Law..... Oklahoma Adverse Possession Laws - FindLaw (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/oklahoma-law/oklahoma-adverse-possession-laws.html)

rezman
06-18-2015, 09:10 AM
A friend of my wife had some property next to Lake Hiwassee. They found out that Hiwassee's fence was several feet over on their property. When they went to try to have the fence moved, Lake Hiwassee used Adverse Possession to claim the strip of property, as the fence had been there for years undisputed.

ctchandler
06-18-2015, 09:44 AM
I had my five acres appraised last fall and I have no idea how to rate an appraiser, but he did come recommended to me by my son who was in the building industry. He did the job I asked and I'm happy, that's about it. Below is his name and phone number.
C. T.

Matthew A. Munding IV
Phone 405-204-2506

oklip955
06-19-2015, 08:36 AM
The land is pasture. I've been using it as such. I'm now horseless but have not been up on mowing (mowing it once or twice a year. My new neighbor is now mowing his side of the fence every week. I have a shoulder injury that the doctors cannot find to treat so I'm not doing much mowing right now. Hope that does not effect him moving the fence.

seaofchange
06-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Contact Cliff Stout at Smith Roberts - cliff@smith-roberts.com or 1-800-411-2010

You can let him know you were referred to him from Becky at PZR...I work downstairs from their firm and they helped settle my property line dispute after the Moore tornado. Their surveying services are reasonably priced.

Celebrator
08-08-2015, 11:39 PM
The outfit I ended up doing business with (finishing their work for me today, actually) was GeoMap Surveying in Edmond. Really nice to work with and very efficient. geomapsurveying (http://www.geomapsurveying.com/)