View Full Version : Smoking

kelroy55
06-08-2015, 11:25 AM
No wonder I thought smoking was cool when I was a kid.

https://i.imgur.com/lMrr3YC.jpg

okatty
06-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Watching Mad Men is another good reminder of how things WERE. :rolleyes:

Mel
06-08-2015, 12:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvt8skgm2l8

Martin
06-08-2015, 02:10 PM
i like this variation but never had a reason to post it...
http://i.imgur.com/Or8pX5Z.gif

hoya
06-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Of course smoking is cool. So is riding a motorcycle without a helmet, having unprotected sex with a lot of good-looking strangers, and giving gun-toting cops the finger.

Being safe, smart, and living to a ripe old age has never been cool.

kelroy55
06-08-2015, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yADZZ7jvY

I've never heard of Spud cigarettes.

OKCRT
06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Don't think Spuds made it big since I have never heard of them but I have heard and tried all the others mentioned in those old commercials.

OKCRT
06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I remember a cartoon that came on in the mid 60s I think. Tobar the 8th man. I think it was only for one season if I remember correctly. But Tobar was a crime fighter super hero or whatever else he was fighting and after a while he would start getting weak and then out came the smokes. He would fire one up and he had his power back again. This cartoon was targeted at 5-10 year olds and I can tell you that it really made an impression on youngsters back then. I you were a kid and hadn't tried a cig then after watching this cartoon you better believe you were out to get one and try it.

turnpup
06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Do college kids smoke any more? When I started college in the late-80s, just about everybody smoked when they went out to bars. Including myself. I remember getting Ozium spray to disinfect my car before I went to my parents' house for the weekends. Except it really didn't work.

Snowman
06-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Do college kids smoke any more? When I started college in the late-80s, just about everybody smoked when they went out to bars. Including myself. I remember getting Ozium spray to disinfect my car before I went to my parents' house for the weekends. Except it really didn't work.

Some, sounds like it was down a bit by the time I went in the early 2000's. I doubt for students at the time it was as high as the average for all Oklahomans but it certainly more than one in ten, probably closer to one in five.

jerrywall
06-08-2015, 08:34 PM
I remember a cartoon that came on in the mid 60s I think. Tobar the 8th man. I think it was only for one season if I remember correctly. But Tobar was a crime fighter super hero or whatever else he was fighting and after a while he would start getting weak and then out came the smokes. He would fire one up and he had his power back again. This cartoon was targeted at 5-10 year olds and I can tell you that it really made an impression on youngsters back then. I you were a kid and hadn't tried a cig then after watching this cartoon you better believe you were out to get one and try it.

Totally off topic, but Tobar is credited at inspiring RoboCop....

Mel
06-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Ha! Ozium. Do they still make that. Doesn't cover up any type of burning vegetation very well. :cool:

OKCRT
06-09-2015, 04:51 PM
"Winston taste good like a cigarette should" That was my primary brand and it was advertised heavily back in the day to entice youngsters.

Stew
06-09-2015, 04:58 PM
I can't imagine how in the world a cigarette could possibly taste good. Although to be fair I think the same thing about ehh...okay.

kevinpate
06-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Some did. Though I cleared year 11 as a former smoker a few weeks ago, when I did smoke, I was partial to two brands - More and Dunhill. My earliest days as a smoker were primarily Marlboro Red 100's, which in my brain were superior to products offered by either Winston or Camel. My original switch to More was initially financial. They were dark brown, skinny and 120's rather than the far more common 100's. This meant they were different, as as any high schooler knows, different equals bad. Ergo, others in smoker's alley stopped bumming lest they too be seen with a weird smoke. Having known I was a tad weird since back in 3rd grade, the decision merely cut my expenses considerably when the bummers moved on to the shirt pockets of others..

kelroy55
06-10-2015, 07:21 AM
I remember my folks saving those coupons that came with every pack and buying stuff with them.

traxx
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM

I would take any smoking rates that come out these days with a grain of salt. Rates can often look lower than they actually are because of the move to vaping. Smokers tend to think it's a healthy alternative. Also smokers who vape don't consider themselves smokers anymore when they vape.

mmonroe
06-10-2015, 11:05 AM
I've always liked you Ken!
7yj2THC96kA

ctchandler
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Of course smoking is cool. So is riding a motorcycle without a helmet, having unprotected sex with a lot of good-looking strangers, and giving gun-toting cops the finger.

Being safe, smart, and living to a ripe old age has never been cool.

Hoyasooner,
I smoked non-filtered Pall Malls for 38 years, three packs a day. I quit in 12/1999 and thought I was going to be Ok. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In November 2012 I was diagnosed with C.O.P.D. and it pretty much ended my normal life. I had been doing a lot of traveling and that came to a screeching halt, I can't even be gone overnight. We pay for our sins. But I still miss them and the day the doctor tells me that I have a few months to live, I will go to the atm and withdraw enough cash to go to the Indian smoke shop in Shawnee and buy enough cigarettes to last me till I croak! Of course, if I had it to do over, I would never have smoked one cigarette, but at this point in my life, as I said, "I still miss them" and it would ease my demise! Now, how stupid is that?
C. T.

hoya
06-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Hoyasooner,
I smoked non-filtered Pall Malls for 38 years, three packs a day. I quit in 12/1999 and thought I was going to be Ok. Unfortunately, that was not the case. In November 2012 I was diagnosed with C.O.P.D. and it pretty much ended my normal life. I had been doing a lot of traveling and that came to a screeching halt, I can't even be gone overnight. We pay for our sins. But I still miss them and the day the doctor tells me that I have a few months to live, I will go to the atm and withdraw enough cash to go to the Indian smoke shop in Shawnee and buy enough cigarettes to last me till I croak! Of course, if I had it to do over, I would never have smoked one cigarette, but at this point in my life, as I said, "I still miss them" and it would ease my demise! Now, how stupid is that?
C. T.

Just commenting on how we define "cool". As I said, being safe and smart has never been cool.

Cool:
http://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-37737-1279391863.jpg

Not Cool:
http://images.medscape.com/pi/features/drugdirectory/octupdate/PGC00230.jpg

Cool:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Zj9bgqmOwbs/UPwJzmBrVBI/AAAAAAAAH3s/R8-hZ-kUL4Q/s1600/tumblr_m15hoe93Lq1qguk86o1_500.jpg

Not Cool:
http://www.autoliv.com/PublishingImages/belted-web.jpg

Cool:
http://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads//2013/06/FastAndFurious6_tank.jpg?8c65b4

Not Cool:
https://www.dollarvigilante.com/storage/02012/46-may-2012/Urkel.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1337470126876

ctchandler
06-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Hoyasooner,
I fully understood, I just jumped at the opportunity to show how "cool" my smoking was, and the end result.
C. T.

kevinpate
06-11-2015, 06:04 PM
speaking of vaping ... are vapers vexing or simply vapid?

Mel
06-11-2015, 07:28 PM
vupid?

hoya
06-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Hoyasooner,
I fully understood, I just jumped at the opportunity to show how "cool" my smoking was, and the end result.
C. T.

Well, I've never smoked. I am also a big nerd, so...

ctchandler
06-12-2015, 05:15 PM
Well, I've never smoked. I am also a big nerd, so...

Hoyasooner,
Well, get with the program man! There's nothing like nicotine stained fingers, and the lovely aroma from a smokers clothes. Really, to tell you how sad some of us ex smokers are, I found out that one of the places that I like to visit and enjoy a beer is going smoke free. The Old Chicago in Edmond. I told them "I can get good beer anywhere, but I come here for the second hand smoke!". Ok, even though I really did say that, I was being somewhat facetious.
C. T.

Teo9969
06-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Random fact:

The word for Tuxedo in both Spanish and German (and other languages as well I imagine) is "Smoking".

ctchandler
06-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Random fact:

The word for Tuxedo in both Spanish and German (and other languages as well I imagine) is "Smoking".

Teo,
But I hate tuxedos (always have) and I love smoking! How can that be?
C. T.

hoya
06-13-2015, 09:44 PM
Hoyasooner,
Well, get with the program man! There's nothing like nicotine stained fingers, and the lovely aroma from a smokers clothes. Really, to tell you how sad some of us ex smokers are, I found out that one of the places that I like to visit and enjoy a beer is going smoke free. The Old Chicago in Edmond. I told them "I can get good beer anywhere, but I come here for the second hand smoke!". Ok, even though I really did say that, I was being somewhat facetious.
C. T.

You sound pretty rugged. Like John Wayne. I bet you scored with a lot of chicks in your day.

ctchandler
06-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Hoyasooner,
Only in my dreams! Actually, I was a "one woman man". Sometimes I think I was born married.
C. T.

turnpup
06-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Hoyasooner,
Only in my dreams! Actually, I was a "one woman man". Sometimes I think I was born married.
C. T.

C.T., your late wife is probably smiling upon you right now. How sweet!