View Full Version : Windows 10....

Achilleslastand
06-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Has anyone gotten to upgrade message on your taskbar yet? I know some went out weeks ago and others got the message in the last few days. Does everyone with a legit copy of 7/8 get the free upgrade? Does this include OEM versions as well?

bchris02
06-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Has anyone gotten to upgrade message on your taskbar yet? I know some went out weeks ago and others got the message in the last few days. Does everyone with a legit copy of 7/8 get the free upgrade? Does this include OEM versions as well?

I believe anybody with a genuine Windows 7 or 8 license gets an upgrade. Microsoft has also recently confirmed that doing a clean installation is possible, which I would recommend because I always run into problems doing an in-place upgrade.

Achilleslastand
06-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Apparently you need this upgrade " KB3035583 " in order for the upgrade to Win10 message to appear, I installed said update and rebooted and viola the upgrade to Win10 icon appeared.

Dustin
06-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Have you all already downloaded it? I reserved my free upgrade and it says I have to wait until July 27th...

ahlokc
06-07-2015, 08:26 AM
You have to have Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Start menu, right click computer on right side of menu, Properties. Under Windows Edition in the window that opens will tell you if you have Service Pack 1 or not)/Windows 8.1 Update in order to be eligible for the free update.

And yes you have to wait until July 29 because that is when Windows 10 is officially released.

mkjeeves
06-08-2015, 11:41 AM
I guess I'll upgrade my 8.1 device, test drive it and see if it's worth upgrading my Win 7 machines.

FighttheGoodFight
06-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll be upgrading my key then doing a full clean install.

oklip955
06-08-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm still trying to learn win7 as I upgraded to another computer from xp.

SoonerDave
06-08-2015, 02:31 PM
This may be the "most least" anticipated Windows update...ever? Gotta admit, i was a lot more stoked to see the Lollipop upgrade come down the pipe for my tablet :)

All (sorta) kidding aside, I'm really reluctant to put Win10 on my laptop w/o a touch interface. I downloaded the tech/dev preview to see how they had tried to restore (at least some of?) the old desktop interface, but I just never had the time to build a VM and get it set up....

zookeeper
06-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Windows 10 is a whole new game for Microsoft. This isn't an update or an upgrade as much as a reinvention. They have gone the Chrome OS route and everything will be updated on-the-fly, everything lives in the cloud, and a "clean install" will last as long as Microsoft decides to make a change. Fortunately, they will allow you to opt-in or opt-out of many of the features to customize the OS, but Microsoft has admitted there will be mandatory push updates that just update without you knowing squat. That's the whole idea of Windows 10. In fact, most believe this is probably it for Windows with a number and will most likely, after 10, just be known as "Windows" as changes will happen all the time (like with Chrome OS). There will no longer be a Windows Media Player (you'll need a third party player), oh heck - the list is long. Windows 10 has its pros and cons, but if you're the least bit privacy conscious - better find a Windows 7 (SP1) key and fast.

Edit - Just to be clear, you actually will be able to install and use without a Microsoft account, but it's very limited. User only account, no admin privileges, but it still only keeps the account off your records, it still syncs with Redmond. To even begin to use Windows 10 as an air gap computer (completely offline all the time) is a non-starter, it would be crippled. It's a Brave New World.