View Full Version : Perfectly preserved chalkboards from 1917 discovered in OKC

bchris02
06-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Workers discover preserved writings, drawings on slate blackboards at OKC high school | News OK (http://newsok.com/workers-discover-preserved-writings-drawings-on-slate-blackboards-at-okc-high-school/article/5425449)

This is amazing.

turnpup
06-05-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm glad you posted this! I read the story and was thinking about posting but got sidetracked on work stuff.

Yes, it's freaking cool, and I hope to hell they preserve it properly. I live in an old house (30s) and have always wished I'd uncover something really cool when renovating. We did find awesome Tudor stucco (real stucco, not fake stuff) and half-timbering under metal siding. We also discovered that the roof of our front bay window was copper that a previous owner had painted black. It's amazing what people do.

Anyway, I'm thinking it's just awesome how the colors and everything are still so vibrant on those chalk images.

mugofbeer
06-05-2015, 10:31 PM
I just heard about it in Denver on a story. What a great find! I wonder how it can be preserved?

Achilleslastand
06-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Perhaps something could be learned from those chalkboards, or not.

Snowman
06-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I just heard about it in Denver on a story. What a great find! I wonder how it can be preserved?

The tough thing about it is they almost look like they are a painted load bearing wall, not a separate board. Though it may be possible to preserve similar to the last time by the new construction just covering the old wall.

Though at least documenting all of them with high quality photos should be easy.

I guess if they could work it into some sort of historic themed room; maybe a lounge, archive, or meeting room, covering them with a sealant and decorating around them. Though it would take some luck in having something they want as essentially decoration forever and being in a good location for the function.

Mel
06-06-2015, 02:47 PM
I like how the ghosts of the past have a way of popping up every now and then. Very cool pics.

turnpup
06-06-2015, 06:46 PM
It's interesting to me that they just left all that stuff intact and didn't even bother erasing it or anything before putting new construction over it. But of course in hindsight it winds up being really cool that they did it that way!